Jonesboro Developments

arkansas_buff

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I visited the new mall in Jonesboro today on its opening day. Not all of the stores were open yet, but most were. The mall is layed out very different than most malls. Most malls have the anchors on the ends with the rest lined up in between. This mall has all of the anchors in the front, like an outdoor shopping center...then the rest of the mall is behind those stores lined up to all of the anchors. While it's not the best mall I've ever been in, it's definitely a very nice mall and Jonesboro is lucky to have it. The food court isn't what I thought it would be. Only two restaurants were open in it today, and I only saw one sign for an upcoming one. One thing to note, the mall is bigger than it looks from the outside (not that it looks small) because the main part of the mall is behind all of the anchors. For this reason, the main part of the mall is a LONG narrow strip behind the anchors. Here are a couple of pics I took with my camera phone. Also, I've listed the links to the local tv and news stories on it today.

From KAIT 8:

http://www.kait8.com/Global/story.asp?S=4696431

http://www.kait8.com/Global/story.asp?S=4699795

From the Jonesboro Sun:

http://www.jonesborosun.com/story.asp?ID=15132

From The Memphis Business Journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories...html?from_rss=1

post-7516-1143688439_thumb.jpg

post-7516-1143688560_thumb.jpg

post-7516-1143689188_thumb.jpg

post-7516-1143688439_thumb.jpg

post-7516-1143688560_thumb.jpg

post-7516-1143689188_thumb.jpg

It definitely does mix them, and pretty well. I was just a bit disappointed they didn't make it a grand scale mall with multi levels.

Jonesboro is certainly moving up but even NWA doesn't haver a multi leveled mall and look at the population here. Still sounds like a nice mall for Jonesboro.

It definitely does mix them, and pretty well. I was just a bit disappointed they didn't make it a grand scale mall with multi levels.

Large, multi-level indoor malls are out of date. A few "destination"-type places like the Galleria in Dallas or Mall of American excluded, that is.

The project has a fairly small amount of enclosed space. What's impressive is the number of large anchors that signed on.

Large, multi-level indoor malls are out of date. A few "destination"-type places like the Galleria in Dallas or Mall of American excluded, that is.

The project has a fairly small amount of enclosed space. What's impressive is the number of large anchors that signed on.

Malls themselves aren't really in style anymore. I think this is the only mall opening for the entire country this year.

Malls themselves aren't really in style anymore. I think this is the only mall opening for the entire country this year.

I think the only reason you're seeing this is that the Belz-Burrow group are superb developers but this mall thing is new for them and this is why they stuck with the enclosed design. Even the largest mall developer in America, Simon, doesn't mess with creating enclosed centers anymore - they prefer open "town center" style developments. There are four large developments scheduled to open in NWA and LR this year that will all be open-air but would've been enclosed a few years ago.

It appeared from the KAIT 8 video that the Dillards had two levels.

I didn't go in the Dillard's, but it did appear tall enough to be 2 levels.

It is weird how they have so many large anchors in the front...that makes it look like a lifestyle center from the front. One great thing about the mall part behind the anchors is the amount of natural lighting. They claim that this will keep most people from driving to Memphis to shop and will give the state an additional $8 milliion per year that TN was getting.

I didn't go in the Dillard's, but it did appear tall enough to be 2 levels.

It is weird how they have so many large anchors in the front...that makes it look like a lifestyle center from the front. One great thing about the mall part behind the anchors is the amount of natural lighting. They claim that this will keep most people from driving to Memphis to shop and will give the state an additional $8 milliion per year that TN was getting.

Yeah I read that too. I would think it would certainly help. I thought I had read a while back ago about a number of Memphis malls going downhill. Although obviously there are other places to shop than just malls there.

Yeah I read that too. I would think it would certainly help. I thought I had read a while back ago about a number of Memphis malls going downhill. Although obviously there are other places to shop than just malls there.

The Mall of Memphis which was really THE crown jewel of regional malls in the area closed. I can't remember when it was built but it really wasn't that old, either.

Eastern Memphis is where it's all at now. Wolfchase Galleria is a huge mall out there. It's better than any mall in Arkansas. I enjoy shopping there everytime I'm over that way. That area out there is jam-packed with development. That part of Memphis is very nice. It's like you're not even in Memphis. I have to say that Memphis is a lot better than it used to be. The downtown is really awesome with all of the development there. There is still some ghetto just east,ne, and south of dowtown. However, the eastern half of Memphis, east of Highland is very nice. Poplar Avenue is very nice out that way. I'm very impressed with what is going on in Memphis.

Eastern Memphis is where it's all at now. Wolfchase Galleria is a huge mall out there. It's better than any mall in Arkansas. I enjoy shopping there everytime I'm over that way. That area out there is jam-packed with development. That part of Memphis is very nice. It's like you're not even in Memphis. I have to say that Memphis is a lot better than it used to be. The downtown is really awesome with all of the development there. There is still some ghetto just east,ne, and south of dowtown. However, the eastern half of Memphis, east of Highland is very nice. Poplar Avenue is very nice out that way. I'm very impressed with what is going on in Memphis.

Desoto County, MS is very nice. Olive Branch, Southhaven, and Horn Lake are really taking off and Tunica Co is also doing very well (obviously). I like what's going on downtown in Memphis but as things move further east there'st just a lot of "dead space" that really not only isn't attractive but also isn't safe.

The Mall of Memphis is the only mall in Memphis that's closed. East of downtown/medical center is not a ghetto--it's Midtown Memphis, extending about 4 miles east of downtown, a 12 square mile area of early 20th century development which includes some of the poshest and oldest sections of town: Central Gardens, Vollentine, Idlewild and Evergreen for example, as well as the Parkway System, Overton Park, Rhodes College, and the Cooper-Young neighborhood. Much of Midtown is in national historic districts, with 80 yr. old highrise and lowrise apt. buildings. It's one of the few areas in the south which actually looks urban.

But some people dislike it for that reason--it's not suburbia. If you think Poplar Avenue is nice, take a ride down Walnut Grove Rd.

Desoto County, MS is very nice. Olive Branch, Southhaven, and Horn Lake are really taking off and Tunica Co is also doing very well (obviously). I like what's going on downtown in Memphis but as things move further east there'st just a lot of "dead space" that really not only isn't attractive but also isn't safe.

To me, DeSoto county is like a Super WalMart parking lot.

The Mall of Memphis is the only mall in Memphis that's closed. East of downtown/medical center is not a ghetto--it's Midtown Memphis, extending about 4 miles east of downtown, a 12 square mile area of early 20th century development which includes some of the poshest and oldest sections of town: Central Gardens, Vollentine, Idlewild and Evergreen for example, as well as the Parkway System, Overton Park, Rhodes College, and the Cooper-Young neighborhood. Much of Midtown is in national historic districts, with 80 yr. old highrise and lowrise apt. buildings. It's one of the few areas in the south which actually looks urban.

But some people dislike it for that reason--it's not suburbia. If you think Poplar Avenue is nice, take a ride down Walnut Grove Rd.

To me, DeSoto county is like a Super WalMart parking lot.

I wouldn't live there. Like you, I like older neighborhoods with character (like Hillcrest and the Heights). I mentioned that because all of the growth isn't East, right now the areas South of Memphis are doing eveyr bit as well or better. The problem with Memphis' midtown area is that it's too heterogenous. Unlike Hillcrest or the Heights it's more like New Orleans - nice areas with slums a couple of blocks away. If development in that area ever really took off and the whole area was renovated it could really become something.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have lost track... isn't this the JONESBORO forum???

Okay, okay. After 4 visits to the new Mall at Turtle Creek, here are a few observations:

1. Greatest mall in Arkansas. Hands down. Refined, elegant, and a great selection of stores.

2. Food court is lacking. Currently only a Subway and Japanese place with Baskin Robbins and Steak Escape opening soon.

3. Chick fil-A is under construction and will be a stand-alone restaurant outside the mall- as is Chili's and Chuck-E-Cheese.

4. There is a Shorty Smalls Express, which is great. It's not full service, but not fast food. You place your order, sit down, and wait for your vibrating pager to go off.

5. Greatest thing to happen to Jonesboro since... forever (in my opinion).

6. There are still several stores, which are not opened yet, but are under construction (i.e. Circuit City, Hallmark, and about 5 more). Stores that stood out to me were Dillards, Target, Barnes and Noble, Bed Bath & Beyond, The Children's Place, Hollister, VS, Finish Line, Bath & Body Works, JC Penney, and so many more.

7. Exterior is beautiful, parking is sufficient, traffic is not too terrible (extra turning lanes and traffic lights have been installed on Stadium Blvd and Highland Drive).

8. I don't see any need to go back to Memphis (thank God)... except for maintenance on the Lexus.

That brings up one point to me about Jonesboro. With a metro of over 100K, there is not one luxury car dealership in the area (besides Cadillac and Lincoln). No Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, VW, BMW, Jaguar, Hummer, Land Rover, Infiniti, NOTHING. I would think a car savvy business guy would do well with a dealership. Maybe there are too many restrictions on things such as population, etc.

That brings up one point to me about Jonesboro. With a metro of over 100K, there is not one luxury car dealership in the area (besides Cadillac and Lincoln). No Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, VW, BMW, Jaguar, Hummer, Land Rover, Infiniti, NOTHING. I would think a car savvy business guy would do well with a dealership. Maybe there are too many restrictions on things such as population, etc.

Not to get off topic, but are theyre any Porsche dealerships in the entire state?

Not to get off topic, but are theyre any Porsche dealerships in the entire state?

Not sure to be honest. If there is one it would be in Little Rock I'd imagine. If not you'd probably have to go over to Memphis for the closest one to the state.

The Mall at Turtle Creek is a very nice mall, but it is not the best mall in the state. Park Plaza, which is a little smaller, but 3 levels, is still the best mall in the state. I still like NWA Mall better than Turtle Creek as well. Turtle Creek is mostly anchors and didn't concentrate as much on the mall part as they should've. It's one long hall of stores. It's a very nice design, but lacking in actual mall space. Most of its sq. footage is anchors. The sq. footage of the mall and the anchos is way off balance. The Food court is majorly lacking.

Not sure to be honest. If there is one it would be in Little Rock I'd imagine. If not you'd probably have to go over to Memphis for the closest one to the state.

And people from southwestern Arkansas can come to Shreveport (actually Bossier City) to buy a Porsche!!

On that note, Little Rock should have a Porsche dealer.... if not, I'd be VERY surprised. There's a lot of money in that area. I'd also not be surprised to see one in NW Arkansas before long... kind of surprised, with all the money in that area, that there's not already one there as well!!

Archived