Greenville County Law Enforcment Campus

g-vegasman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is an article in today's Greenville News regarding overcrowding at the Greenville County Detention Center:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/510090312

It sounds like the expansion is needed, and possibly even more of an expansion than was originally planned.

Didn't the article say something like 400 plus additional cells/beds/inmates? That's a large number. Is this expansion happening on the same property where the law enforcement center is currently located? That looks like a real boxed in area and not much room for expansion. Maybe the expansion will be up and not out.

• 1 month later...

I have inside information on this project....

Yes, construction has begun and there is actually two buildings going up. The obvious one you can see from I-385 coming into downtown and the other building is on the back side near East Park Avenue. The bigger building will be a four story jail addition and the other building will be a new Upstate Juvenile facility. Before the only major Juvenile facility (not a holdover facility) was in Columbia. This new juvenile facility will be a permanenet site for Juveniles (not a holdover facility)and will be state of the art with teachers, etc. Furthermore, at the end of construciton for these two new buildings, slated to be finished in January of 2007, construction will begin for yet another building in the lower parking lot. As of now the Detention facility occupies sentenced and non-sentced inmates, as well as Federal inmates. Custody ranges are Minium custody to High Max custody inmates. Current inmate population is near 1400 and with the addition of the two new buildigns they will break 1700-1800. As of now the Detention Center currently has three buildings, with two new buildings they will have a total of five buildings. WIth the addition of the next building in 2010 they will have six buildings. At the completion of this current construction Greenville County will be the biggeest facility in the state, even bigger than any SCDC prison and one of the biggest in South East. The current population is the largest in the state even larger than the SCDC facilites and Charleston ois a close second.

For those who are not educated about Detention Centers:

The danger is just as real as any prison. The inmates are just as dangerous. There are assaults, fights, etc. It can be a dangerous place. The men and women who work there really put their life on the line everyday. It is not jsut a palce for inmates with minor charges, but there are inmates there awaiting trial for murder, double murder, rape, burglary, assault, etc. Some inmates have been there for 5 or more years.

Do most bigger cities have facilities like this in the downtown area? I usually think of the dangerous criminals being kept in prisons that are located in a rural town, away from population centers. I'm curious to know if Greenville is different, or if my understanding of "detention center" has been incorrect all these years (before reading this thread, I always thought they were for minor criminals and holdovers awaiting transport to the hardcore prisons).

• 1 year later...

Is anyone else completely unimpressed with the new muli-story building at the law enforcement center? Not sure if this has been talked about on other threads, but when you're coming into to town on I-385, the first thing you see is a bland, multi-story, box shaped building with no windows or architecture. I understand that it is a detention center, but you would think that the city would have required something a little more appealing to the eye as you enter the city. This will be a visitors first impression of the City. Thoughts?

Is anyone else completely unimpressed with the new muli-story building at the law enforcement center? Not sure if this has been talked about on other threads, but when you're coming into to town on I-385, the first thing you see is a bland, multi-story, box shaped building with no windows or architecture. I understand that it is a detention center, but you would think that the city would have required something a little more appealing to the eye as you enter the city. This will be a visitors first impression of the City. Thoughts?

If they don't add a design element, then look at it positive....we'll have a new really big screen for Moonlight Movies and at the holidays, the city can use one of those projectors and project holiday images! :P

I agree with Skyliner, there is much construction yet to go on this...I think it will turn out a little more decorative. (Keeping fingers crossed).

If they don't add a design element, then look at it positive....we'll have a new really big screen for Moonlight Movies and at the holidays, the city can use one of those projectors and project holiday images! :P

I agree with Skyliner, there is much construction yet to go on this...I think it will turn out a little more decorative. (Keeping fingers crossed).

This big blank wall would also be the perfect spot for Greenville's law enforcement to take credit for keeping our city so safe. They could have a large digital sign that reads something like "568 jailed today". The number would continue to change with each new inmate. This would definitely let all passing motorist know that Greenville police are on the ball! :P

Absolutely not. What you see is what you get. It will look exactly the way you see it now. Not even paint will be added to the exterior of the building. I helped design it, so I know. Trust me, it was not the decision of the Detention Center to go with the current look or the current plan. 3 years ago, when it was designed, it looked much more impressive and eye appealing; however, cut backs that were out of their control reduced the building and the exterior to what you see now.

• 1 month later...

Archived