FROM FIVE POINTS...TO SPRINGFIELD

bobliocatt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, I'm probably gonna be the only one who is gonna say this, but I really don't see Springfield as the next big thing.

My money's on Murray Hill (I'll probably be forced out of Riverside as well eventually) or - (shudder when I say it cuz there's only one true Brooklyn) - Brooklyn in some years to come. Its just a feeling on my part, but I see more and more 'yuppies' going to Springfield and its prices getting quite out of hand quite fast.

I agree, I think that Springfield is developing at too fast a rate to ever be any sort of "counter culture" hot spot. Club 5 was a big part of 5 points' image. I believe that a similar club will attract other alternative businesses, no matter where it is, as club 5 did.

Because of its proximity to downtown, the urban commercial district on Main Street and the relatively cheap rent for apartments in Springfield, I can see it becoming a hot spot in the next couple of years. However, if it does, it will definately be on Main Street and not 8th, as mentioned in the article.

There's some potential for Murray Hill, as well. But at this point, I think its a little to far from downtown and lacks the overall commercial building density and available space needed for these types of uses to locate within walking distance of each other. Considering the growth of the city and the trends of moving back in town, it wouldn't suprise me to see multiple areas begin to get popular with the bohemain crowd. Hendricks Avenue and Park & King may have some potential also.

While the purchase price of Springfield homes is getting out of control (I recently tried to buy some investment properties on E 5th St, but the owner wanted over double the appraised value) - rents are actually still extremely reasonable.

I don't think it'll get too yuppie any time soon. There will be plenty of cheap rental properties for years and years to come. Plus, the "counter-culture" crowd is rarely as edgy as they claim to be. Otherwise they would have been living in Springfield and East Jax years ago for the super-cheap rents. They like a certain level of gentrification too. Just as long as rent stays within reach for them ;)

I think this is an insightful article. With Springfield though, it is a little strange because the prices people ask over there seem a little higher than what is justified by the current conditions in much of the neighborhood.

Another thing to look for in up and coming neighborhoods (and not mentioned in the article) is the presence of gays. When I was in high school in the 80s, San Marco was the gay neighborhood and, since then, property values have greatly increased and most of the gays left and then moved to Riverside. Riverside now has probably 7 or 8 gay bars and is kind of the center of gay Jacksonville now (although it is obviously not exclusively gay). Property values here have rapidly risen in the last 10 years also (probably by 200-400%). So, I think the secret to finding good property deals is to figure out where the gays are moving next and buy there. Homosexuals tend to be pioneers in transition neighborhoods because they dont have kids to put in school generally (so the school system is irrelevant), they dont have women to worry about protecting, and they are good at keeping their homes well maintained. So, they can take a chance on an up and coming neighborhood. Anyway, I have been very lucky in Riverside with this and I think this is a good theory.

I think that Springfield will be next, but when it becomes too "yuppie" (which most urban neighborhoods are these days...) Murray Hill will be next. I don't really see Park and King becoming "counter-culture" because of that stupid Walgreens taking up a huge chunk of the corner...

Besides Jax Beach, are there any other town-center type commercial areas with the potential to become the new 5 Points?

Fruit Cove B)

...actually no, that's not me and this isn't the first time I've been questoned on the matter here either.

I grew up in Riverside with this counter-culture so seeing it getting pushed aside is quite saddening to me. My first job was the Subway at 5 Points working the late shift when I was 16. I have a lot of heart in Riverside and 5 Points is one of those extremly unique areas of any city. There is nothing cookie cutter about it.

Brooklyn has the potential but will need a massive influx of it to get kick started. Park St would be good.

Downtown could also support it along W Forsyth. 2 blocks away from 2 Skyway stations. Alternative clubs still or used to exist near there (618 I think it was once called).

Main in Springfield may happen before the others but is also in danger of losing its potential already.

The area around Arlington Rd, Lillian Rd, Bert Rd and Lone Star has some potential as well.

--snip--

Besides Jax Beach, are there any other town-center type commercial areas with the potential to become the new 5 Points?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although it is a little smaller in scale, Symbiosis Investments' development at 8th and Pearl looks promising (especially when combined with the interest Cesery has in the neighborhood and Symbiosis' other designs at 8th and Silver (Silver is one block east of Pearl) and 1815 Main (see Symbiosis' "The New Springfield" site for a thumbnail preview.

There's small older urban commercial corridors around the inner city. Not all are surrounded by the right demographics, but they include:

1. Main Street (Springfield)

2. 8th Street (Springfield)

3. Edgewood Avenue (Murray Hill)

4. Park & King (Riverside)

5. Beach/Atlantic (San Mateo/St. Nichols)

6. San Marco Blvd, near I-95 (San Marco)

7. Hendricks Avenue/Kings Avenue (San Marco/Southbank)

8. Blanding Blvd, near Roosvelt Square (Westside)

9. Philip Randolph Blvd (Oakland "East Jax")

10. McDuff, north of I-10 (Westside)

Archived