A Haircut in Providence

keltikdancer

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to get a haircut in Providence?

It shouldn't cost the earth and the cutters should be competent.

I went to "Scissorhands" on Wickenden a couple of times, but it's a bizarre experience.

The first two times the cuts were fine (even if the cutters were a little weird). The last time

I got a guy who was more intent on getting into my knickers than cutting my hair!

Consequently, he butchered my haircut.

If you want to choose who cuts your hair, you have to pay extra.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rofl:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to get a haircut in Providence?

I went to "Scissorhands" on Wickenden a couple of times, but it's a bizarre experience.

The first two times the cuts were fine (even if the cutters were a little weird). The last time

I got a guy who was more intent on getting into my knickers than cutting my hair! 

Consequently, he butchered my haircut.

If you want to choose who cuts your hair, you have to pay extra.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's HOT! LOL

We discussed this in the early part of the retail downcity thread I believe, but that's pages and pages ago now.

I go to Extreme Cuts on Westminster near the Arcade. They're pretty good.

There's also a place in the Arcade (I noticed a sign for it a couple weeks ago) but I've never been. Other people may be able to recommend their favourties.

Scissorhands gets nothing but poor reviews here.

We discussed this in the early part of the retail downcity thread I believe, but that's pages and pages ago now.

I go to Extreme Cuts on Westminster near the Arcade. They're pretty good.

There's also a place in the Arcade (I noticed a sign for it a couple weeks ago) but I've never been. Other people may be able to recommend their favourties.

Scissorhands gets nothing but poor reviews here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are two old-style, macho-ish barbershops (complete with revolving barber pole!) in Wayland Sq, Fred and Ed (I'm serious, and I don't think they talk to each other). They're both about $14-15. I prefer Ed, who gives the cut a lot more time and does a great job. He also has better hours than Fred, who does a good job as well. Ed also has more personality, being kinda of the Soup Nazi of barbers, mostly tongue in cheek.

If you're looking for more of a salon, I really don't have any experience, but I know that Strands salon in Wayland Sq and Cofforium in Hope Village (across from CVS on Hope) are both get excellent reviews.

I haven't heard any good things from co-workers about any of the places on Wickenden...

- Garris

Bob on the top floor of the Arcade. Really nice guy who has been cutting hair forever. $12 if I remember. He takes lots of time with each person and is always good for a nice chat.

More a place for the males looking for a haircut.

Garris and Cotuit - doubt you'll remember me, but I was posting a number of months back because I was moving to Providence to start an internship through Brown med school.

Your comments and advice were really helpful. :thumbsup:

All has gone well (with the notable exception of my stolen car) and now I am in desperate need of a haircut.

The Coiffurium (sp?) sounds good, but are there any other recommendations for women's hair?

I saw a place on Main St. called Moss that looked promising -- anyone been there?

Thanks,

Emily

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember getting my hair cut as a little kid at Persia on Thayer St. and I've been back twice in the past year - mostly because it's a bike ride away from me and they're open until 6....but I got good haircuts there, and the people were very friendly.

I second Garris on Ed's, a good old-school barber experience...

For the women, one of my friends has been going to the place in Davol Square, not sure of the name, she likes it a lot though. I think it's pricey though.

For the women, one of my friends has been going to the place in Davol Square, not sure of the name, she likes it a lot though. I think it's pricey though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Across from the Hess Station? I've heard people like that, but it is expensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Emily! I'm glad things are going well (but someone stole your car!?!? Supposedly, that's why our car insurance is so high). How's the training going thus far?

As for women, Lumiere (downtown) and Chestnuts (the place people are referring to across from Davol Square) are both given rave reviews by women, but are both premium locations at which you'll pay top dollar. Same for the place in the Davol Sq gym, which is similarly supposed to be excellent but pricey... I've known several women who go to the Cofforium (sp?) in Hope Village and find it a good quality/price balance, and as I think I mentioned in a previous post, Strands in Wayland Sq is well thought of.

There are some pretty stylin' women in the Brown IM program and all around the hospital. I'd track someone down with a great cut and ask where they got it...

Where again did you end up in the city?

- Garris

Hi Emily!  I'm glad things are going well (but someone stole your car!?!?  Supposedly, that's why our car insurance is so high).  How's the training going thus far?

As for women, Lumiere (downtown) and Chestnuts (the place people are referring to across from Davol Square) are both given rave reviews by women, but are both premium locations at which you'll pay top dollar.  Same for the place in the Davol Sq gym, which is similarly supposed to be excellent but pricey...  I've known several women who go to the Cofforium (sp?) in Hope Village and find it a good quality/price balance, and as I think I mentioned in a previous post, Strands in Wayland Sq is well thought of.

There are some pretty stylin' women in the Brown IM program and all around the hospital.  I'd track someone down with a great cut and ask where they got it...

Where again did you end up in the city?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My girlfriend goes to Claudia Curls in the "Hope Village" area and some hilarious Thai guy named Tony in East Providence (not sure, but I think on Warren Ave). That dude cracks me up and I got a GREAT haircut.

There is a shop called Jack's on Branch Ave @ the park near Charles St that is as old school as you can get. Hot lather shave with a blade and good conversation, I went there during my time @ PC, and still drove up from CT until gas got out of hand.

There is a shop called Jack's on Branch Ave @ the park near Charles St that is as old school as you can get.  Hot lather shave with a blade and good conversation, I went there during my time @ PC, and still drove up from CT until gas got out of hand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh I guess their good!

I go to Vinny D on Broadway, just past Dean St. He's from Italy. It's a man's barber shop. He doesnt talk much, which I like. He charges me $18. I noticed some guys pay $15. I never asked why and don't care. He's awesome, and has an old school Fed Hill clientel.

You have to call for an apointment: 831-7228

I've always gotten in same day.

I've been going to the tiny place across the street from Not Just Snacks (on Hope) for probably more than a decade. It's a true barber shop although the sign says "Executive Hair Salon" It costs about 15 bucks and there is one chair with one barber. Highly recommended.

i work at PC and i've tried prime cuts on the corner of smith and river. they're cheap, but you get what you pay for there... they seem to know only one type of cut for guys. the students i've talked to know it as teh "PC cut". it has slight variations, but it's not the best. if you like your hair short, they're good. and the conversation is pretty good, they're a fun group of women. i recommend Judy there. i stopped going because i don't like the cut.

currently, i go to dellaria in the mall and see liz. she's older than most of the other stylists there and she does an awesome job. she's on the slow side, but she's really good. it's $28 for a guy's cut there (plus tax i think).

other places i've been to... elmhurst salon (or something like that) next to the subway across smith st from lasalle. he did a good job, probably would've been worth gettin gto know him and get a better cut... barbiere de bella (or something like that) next to spardello's on mineral spring in north prov. i didn't get the best cut there... they're italian and made me look somewhat guido.

after hearding about jacks on branch, i might have to try it... i could use a cheaper place than what i pay at dellaria.

Vinny D gives me what I call the "Guinea Helmet," but I'm Irish so I can say that. After he cuts my hair he spends as much time blowdrying it and curling my bangs up and over. Then he trims the whole thing again untill it's smooth. The result looks like it popped out of a mold.

Vinny D gives me what I call the "Guinea Helmet," but I'm Irish so I can say that. After he cuts my hair he spends as much time blowdrying it and curling my bangs up and over. Then he trims the whole thing again untill it's smooth. The result looks like it popped out of a mold.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That actually sounds terrifying. :ph34r:

Archived