A Haircut in Providence

keltikdancer

i work at PC and i've tried prime cuts on the corner of smith and river.  they're cheap, but you get what you pay for there... they seem to know only one type of cut for guys.  the students i've talked to know it as teh "PC cut".  it has slight variations, but it's not the best.  if you like your hair short, they're good.  and the conversation is pretty good, they're a fun group of women.  i recommend Judy there.  i stopped going because i don't like the cut.

currently, i go to dellaria in the mall and see liz.  she's older than most of the other stylists there and she does an awesome job.  she's on the slow side, but she's really good.  it's $28 for a guy's cut there (plus tax i think).

other places i've been to... elmhurst salon (or something like that) next to the subway across smith st from lasalle.  he did a good job, probably would've been worth gettin gto know him and get a better cut... barbiere de bella (or something like that) next to spardello's on mineral spring in north prov.  i didn't get the best cut there... they're italian and made me look somewhat guido.

after hearding about jacks on branch, i might have to try it... i could use a cheaper place than what i pay at dellaria.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's hilarious to hear someone groan about affordable 1 BR housing units in the city,but has $28 for a cut @ Dellaria...( not trying to be cynical, but maybe a budget is in due order)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Everyone!

Garris,

I did what you suggested and snagged someone that "looked good" -- she might have taken my comments the wrong way at first, but when I asked where she'd gotten her great cut, I think she realized I wasn't hitting on her. ;)

I got a cut today at Christiaan (on Benefit). The price seemed reasonable and I'll be able to give more feedback about the cut & color job tomorrow after I wash and dry it myself :)

If I don't like it, I'll definitely try the Coiffurium on Hope Street next since I live at the top of Blackstone and Hope.

IOTN:

All is well with me, thanks for asking. The transition from Chicago has been a little rough - mostly because of my car. I came out of Butler Hospital after work on my second Thursday, walked to where my car was, blinked, and then blinked again, quickly realizing that the pile of glass left on the asphalt would be tough to drive to work. :cry:

[bTW - I've enjoyed the lively discussion of public transportation in Providence.]

Thus, my third weekend in Providence was spent flying back to the Midwest to borrow my parent's third car (that they were planning to sell, lucky me) and drive it back here. Whooppeee! Gotta love the cut through Canada and the New York Thruway - no cops along those routes, no sirreeee.

So are you a grad student?? How have you gotten access to all the great vantage points on Brown's campus?

-Emily

Hi Emily!  I'm glad things are going well (but someone stole your car!?!?  Supposedly, that's why our car insurance is so high).  How's the training going thus far?

There are some pretty stylin' women in the Brown IM program and all around the hospital.  I'd track someone down with a great cut and ask where they got it...

Where again did you end up in the city?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's hilarious to hear someone groan about affordable 1 BR housing units in the city,but has $28 for a cut @ Dellaria...( not trying to be cynical, but maybe a budget is in due order)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe i want affordable housing so i can enjoy the other parts of life? prime cut, if i kept going there, would cost me more money in the long run because i would need to get my hair cut more often than at dellaria. so i spend a bit more (ok, twice as much) and my hair comes out looking 100x better and i get it cut less often. i also have my girlfriend living with me temporarily, so she's helping out with rent. :D

as for my continuing to go to dellaria... i do plan on trying out a new place (that place on branch that was mentioned to be specific), but it'll have to wait until after the summer's over because i have a wedding to go to and i will prefer not to go to someone new and have my hair look awful.

EDIT: i also thought i should add... spending an extra $10-15 a month for a haircut is one thing, but spending an extra $100-150 for an apartment is another...

maybe i want affordable housing so i can enjoy the other parts of life?  prime cut, if i kept going there, would cost me more money in the long run because i would need to get my hair cut more often than at dellaria.  so i spend a bit more (ok, twice as much) and my hair comes out looking 100x better and i get it cut less often.  i also have my girlfriend living with me temporarily, so she's helping out with rent.  :D

as for my continuing to go to dellaria... i do plan on trying out a new place (that place on branch that was mentioned to be specific), but it'll have to wait until after the summer's over because i have a wedding to go to and i will prefer not to go to someone new and have my hair look awful.

EDIT: i also thought i should add... spending an extra $10-15 a month for a haircut is one thing, but spending an extra $100-150 for an apartment is another...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, as it was me that started this thread I should tell you that I got a cut at "Extreme" today.

It was good and fast with little chat from Jennifer and it cost $15. Jennifer didn't try to hit on me, so my hair came out the better for it :)

Thanks for all the ideas. Wow, you guys know Providence.

I've been here a year on September 1 and am loving it. We (my girlfriend and I) have a great apartment on Hope at 5th and just adore "Hope Village."

Im surprised no one mentioned these guys: Hairspray (corner of Wickendon and Brook) and Claudia Curl (Hope St shopping area). A bunch of people switched from Hairspray to Claudia. My friends and I go there, and while in my married days I was ok with a $11.95 haircut on Thayer Street at Supercuts, now that I'm single, a $25 cut at Hairspray to look really good and talk to a cute hairdresser

• 7 months later...

There is a shop called Jack's on Branch Ave @ the park near Charles St that is as old school as you can get. Hot lather shave with a blade and good conversation, I went there during my time @ PC, and still drove up from CT until gas got out of hand.

not sure if anyone is still reading this, but it's time for me to get a haircut and the girl at dellaria has been slacking off (and i don't want to spend a lot). i was thinking about trying jack's, but i can't find a listing anywhere for a shop called jack's on branch ave (there's one on camp st though). there is a place called cut creators on branch near the 7-11 at the intersection with charles, could this be the place you're talking about?

not sure if anyone is still reading this, but it's time for me to get a haircut and the girl at dellaria has been slacking off (and i don't want to spend a lot). i was thinking about trying jack's, but i can't find a listing anywhere for a shop called jack's on branch ave (there's one on camp st though). there is a place called cut creators on branch near the 7-11 at the intersection with charles, could this be the place you're talking about?

Jack's is behind the Brooks pharmacy heading towards McDonalds.

I'm gonna save up about $200 for late July (when I am off of these stupid meds that prohibit me from using chemicals in my hair) to go to Lumiere and have a chemical straightening, haircut, and highlight :)

Then, it's off to narragansett beach!!!

Is 200 enough for that Ari, and is it worth it to go there?

• 8 months later...

a really good place to go is Guidos, it is on Hartford ave, right before the hartford/killingly intersection. Honestly probably the best place to get a haircut, and one of those places you can icture a reality show on. Just so much always going on, and lots of laughs.

i wouldn't call that free. first, it requires me to drive to smithfield or warwick for a haircut. second, the haircut is probably more expensive than i currently pay. third, i probably wouldn't get as good a cut as where i go now (jack's on branch).

Archived