some people must have never heard of manchester

Portland's MSA according to 2004 estimates is: 510,791. Cumberland County was: 265,612 as of 2000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That really isnt bad compared to other cities in the south that are much larger than Portland. Like Little Rock. Even a city like Boise ID( I know it isnt in the south). Thats a real nice metro pop. for a city of 64k imo.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason people who write these kind of articles get confused, is because they are looking at the wrong information. If your looking at a list of MSAs, you're going to assume that Portland is the largest city north of Boston, because Manchester won't even be on that list, since it doesn't have an MSA. And if you're looking at a list of MSAs you're going to think Portland has 500,000 people, because that's what the MSA list says. People just don't understand the difference between city and metro area. If you look at a list of cities, then obviously Manchester is largest.

The reason people who write these kind of articles get confused, is because they are looking at the wrong information. If your looking at a list of MSAs, you're going to assume that Portland is the largest city north of Boston, because Manchester won't even be on that list, since it doesn't have an MSA. And if you're looking at a list of MSAs you're going to think Portland has 500,000 people, because that's what the MSA list says. People just don't understand the difference between city and metro area. If you look at a list of cities, then obviously Manchester is largest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so any idea where the 600,000+ metro area on emporis comes from?

Portland

Population

617,813 in metro (quoted from emporis.com)

Thats a real nice metro pop. for a city of 64k imo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, im going to guess that th emetro area is larger than in southern cities, though, cause if you live in maine and want a "real" job you have to work in portland or greater portland...otherwise you are up the creek cause there is nothing else really going on in this state that is becoming older by the year and jobs are scarce like you wouldnt believe once you hit the north. thats why everyone is afraid of the base closings cause they could destroy whole communities in one swipe.

p.s. does manchester have its own stations on the radio or does it get boston stations enough to not have to worry about that?

http://www.redhot959.com/ heres the one from portland that caused so much comotion last week...

after reading my last post, i was confused by the way i wrote, so badsically my point is, i bet portlands msa stretches to the north pole practically cause there is nowhere else in the state for people to commute to unless youre around lewiston/auburn (pop: 63,000) or bangor (pop mid 30 thousands)...everything else is farm land here.

^Manchester does have its own radio stations.  The Most known are Rock 101 (The station that invented the block party on the radio btw)  And 96.5 The Mill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

two things: what is "the block party on the radio"? and ive been meaning to ask also, what does IMO mean?

Jamn 94.5 is the only rap station NH gets but its out of Boston. There is another rap station called 97.7 which is also out of of boston but you can only get in salem NH. 97.7 is way better than 94.5 so every time I go to Boston I turn to 97.7

Oh yeah imo means In my opinion. At least thats what I always though it was. btw stands for by the way.

Jamn 94.5 is the only rap station NH gets but its out of Boston.  There is another rap station called 97.7 which is also out of of boston but you can only get in salem NH.  97.7 is way better than 94.5 so every time I go to Boston I turn to 97.7

Oh yeah imo means In my opinion.  At least thats what I always though it was.  btw stands for by the way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

97.7, if i remember correclty, plays more of the rythmic stuff and R&B right, or is that 94.5. i remember noticing a difference between the two that one was mostly rap and the other played the softer stuff, easier on the ears, but still "urban" (for lack of a better word) music.

"CITIES AND URBAN ACTIVITIES

By a slight majority, most of the residents of the Bypassed East are urbanites. However, the region contains few substantial urban areas. The two largest cities of northern New England are Burlington, Vermont, and Lewiston, Maine, both of which have about 40,000 residents..."

source

The bigest metr in new hampshire is either Portsmouths Metro or the tri citys metro, and they only top out at about 200k.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is the tri-city metro region manch-nash-concord? if so, that comes to about 250,000 right there alone...

For some stupid reason they only count Manchesters metro at about 198K, this number might be wrong but i know its a few thousand less than the secoasts metro, but even then it wouldn't make a diffrence because manchester does not have an official metro.

For some stupid reason they only count Manchesters metro at about 198K, this number might be wrong but i know its a few thousand less than the secoasts metro, but even then it wouldn't make a diffrence because manchester does not have an official metro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i thought manchester would absorb nashua...but that is probably too close to the mass boarder or something, i dont know how they do it. cause the two towns would be 200 together.

Somersworth is hovering around 12,000. Also, technically all three are cities and not towns  :) . Also, Rochester is actually larger than Dover by a few thousand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats the definition of a city versus a town?

i looked up the official pop counts. they are as follows...

dover population: 26,884

rochester population: 28,461.

somersworth's population: 11,477

whats the definition of a city versus a town? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't know. I know that they were incorporated as cities. I think the difference has to do with the local government. I'm sure it's possible to have a town with a larger population than a city especially with such a low population as Somersworth.

Somersworth is hovering around 12,000. Also, technically all three are cities and not towns  :) . Also, Rochester is actually larger than Dover by a few thousand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

everybody has somthing diffrent for Dover i've seen 24k, 30k,26k and 28 k i just go by the biggest :D

everybody has somthing diffrent  for Dover i've seen 24k, 30k,26k and 28 k i just go by the biggest :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im pretty sure it is around 26...but then again that is essentially 30 thousand, i dont think anyone would argue with that. its like saying burlington is 40,000 rather than 39,000///or portland...people say 65,000 for 64,249... a lot of times you even get 70,000....its all the same...

Archived