Is the upstate large enough to support a amusement park  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is the upstate large enough to support a amusement park

• yes the up state can support it
    • no the upstate is not large enough

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already considered the "Lazy Reedy" idea many times, but how would you keep it clean enough?  My more recent thought was to create a river like they often do for the summer Olympics.  That would be all the water attraction Greenville would need! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean for kayaking? A man-made kayak course along the Reedy? I had suggested that a while back on one of these threads (don't remember which one), myself. I think that would be a HUGE and unique (by East Coast standards) attraction for Greenville. There are similar kayak parks out west - most notably in Colorado, etc. I feel one in Greenville would do exceptionally well. It could be used as a teaching center as well as for practice, competitions, and just for fun! :thumbsup:

I wish we could have boats/rafts/gondolas on the river throughout downtown, much like the RiverWalk in San Antonio, Texas. People could ride in them, and it would surely be a popular tourist attraction. I think that would be cool, but in order to have that I am sure the river would have to be widened, deepened, and have the flow altered.

Well, originally I thought it would be nice to designate a portion of the Reedy as a family tubing zone (lazy river). More recently I thought it would be nice to also have something for the thrill-seekers, similar to your idea it seems. After seeing how beautiful these man-made rivers are, I think Greenville could capitalize on the idea by including it in a major mixed-use development somewhere in or near downtown. Just a thought! :)

I'll answer your question with another:  Where (other than Atlanta) in the area are there major water parks?

There's a regional void there that needs to be filled.  Why not fill it with a Water Park in the Upstate?

Amusement parks draw people from greater distances.  Water Parks are very regional (or even localized in some respects) as compared to the amusement parks.  I think a Water Park would do quite well in the Upstate.

I'm not so sure an amusement park would have the attendance that would be required to keep it operational.  It all depends on the park, of course.  So, I offer the following caveat:  If we offer a major coaster and thrill ride park ... something along the lines of, say, Cedar Point (Sandusky, Ohio), then we'd likely be successful at eating into the attendance draw of the other three regional parks as well as fulfilling the local need for thrills and speed.  If we could do that, then I think a park in the Upstate would be successful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Carowinds has a pretty decent water park.

I'll have to put my two cents in on this one.  While the waterpark in Simpsonville is popular now, anything can be popular at first.  I think we'll have to sit back and see if it's a novelty or not.  My guess is that it is a novelty, but I'd love it if we had the demand to sustain one on a larger scale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have yet to see any advertizement for this place. If you arent one of the well informed UP members, it is possible you may not know about it. ;)

I have yet to see any advertizement for this place. If you arent one of the well informed UP members, it is possible you may not know about it. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a couple of billboards advertising it (the Discovery Island Water Park) along I-385. That's all I recall seeing though...other than the press it's received in the Greenville News.

Carowinds has a pretty decent water park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Carowinds has a great water park! I like the new watercoasters they have added. ^_^

You mean for kayaking?  A man-made kayak course along the Reedy?  I had suggested that a while back on one of these threads (don't remember which one), myself.  I think that would be a HUGE and unique (by East Coast standards) attraction for Greenville.  There are similar kayak parks out west - most notably in Colorado, etc.  I feel one in Greenville would do exceptionally well.  It could be used as a teaching center as well as for practice, competitions, and just for fun!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so unique. This is currently underconstuction in Charlotte.

U.S. National Whitewater Center

I think it would be tough to build another one so close.

That place is totally radical, monsoon! Thanks for the 411! I had no idea that one was being built so close. This almost makes up for the litter that I voiced my concern about in the Charlotte Coffe House thread :P

This is exactly the type of park that I can envision for Greenville. There are enough kayakers and would-be kayakers located over here that I think Greenville could support a park like this on its own accord, too...maybe not to the same scale though. 300+ acres is pretty big. I could see a smaller channel system being included with the plans for the new "Cleveland Park West" over here though.

Wow...that U.S. National Whitewater Center rocks! :wub:

• 2 months later...

Archived