Construction Thread- Star Tower

bic

Drove by today and noticed a yellow mobile crane sitting in the excavated pit, with its boom laying horizontally below ground level.

If im not mistaken, thats the crane they've been using to drill augercast pilings for the last couple of months. They seem to be really taking their time on this one.

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I drove by last night and was suprised to see that they are STILL drilling piles. It seems like for a building of its size they sure are drilling a lot, but what do I know. The good news is they are making significant vertical progress on the foundation, so I imagine we will see a tower crane as soon as the base dries. It was pretty dark last night so if anyone could get out and take a picture that would be cool. All in all it seems like they are moving really slow up until this point. I guess I've been watching The Plaza too long.

• 2 weeks later...

No, as of last night they have pretty much cast and poured about 70% of the forms. However they're still drilling out pilings in one corner. Due to the size of the property, or lack of, they will not be able to build the forms for that area until drilling is complete and they can get the equipment out of there, and then they will pour the final forms. It looks like a big pain in th a$$.

My gosh, has anyone heard of the neighbor (the Dr. lady to the west) that keeps complaining to the City that they are spraying water on her patient's cars, causing soil subsidence, cracks in the pavement, psychological problems and marital abuse, etc. If any of you are working on this project, please be more considerate... so we don't have to hear the squaking and domestic violence implications.

Do they have the pieces in their staging area yet?

I drive by this site 2+ times per day, and am FINALLY starting to see some decent activity.

Tonight at 5:40 PM there were still workers there, and Jackson St. just past Lake ave (heading E.) was closed to traffic due to construction... This might have been due to the Jackson construction (which is also taking FOREVER) but there were a few construction vehicles coming in & out of the Star Tower site... I have yet to see a worker on the neighboring Jackson site to date (I drive by at 8AM and about 5:45 PM every day), as a comparison...

The crane has ONE piece up, and it's like maybe 8 feet high & set ontop of Mariposa St. (which has been closed for months due to ST). BUT, the foundation seems to be poured completely, and there are now concrete supports being poured that are sticking out of the ground, which I think indicates upward progress is right around the corner... The empty lot next to the site is full of dirt and construction materials -- it really looks to me like this is about to kick into high gear...

Anyways, tonight was by far the MOST activity I've seen so far....

Archived