Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

It's funny. Sometimes we take for granted just how expansive Central Fla. really is. Going to Kissimmee every day makes it seem routine and not that big of a deal. I've told forumers this before... get a map of Atlanta and superimpose it wih Orlando and you will see that the relative distances from the city core to suburbs and satellite cities is similar or greater in Orlando. Not saying whether its good or bad, only that it is.

Yeah, from my appartment in Kissimmee to downtown Orlando is about 22 miles. Most of that is built land... save a few patches of swampy area or cow pasture... But my friend lives in the Suburbs of Charlotte (according to that city's statistics) and I was in BFE. There were like forests and feilds all around him. Not once did I feel like I was in a city there, until I was in downtown. Orlando feels like San Diego, without the mountains and desert, add cowpastures and swampy area. The downtowns are going to be similar also due to height restrictions and we both have Seaworlds.... strange...

Yeah, from my appartment in Kissimmee to downtown Orlando is about 22 miles. Most of that is built land... save a few patches of swampy area or cow pasture... But my friend lives in the Suburbs of Charlotte (according to that city's statistics) and I was in BFE. There were like forests and feilds all around him. Not once did I feel like I was in a city there, until I was in downtown. Orlando feels like San Diego, without the mountains and desert, add cowpastures and swampy area. The downtowns are going to be similar also due to height restrictions and we both have Seaworlds.... strange...

According to Emporis, the height limit is 500 feet for San Diego. We could only be so lucky....

I do think, however, that the height limit will be broken in Orlando, by far. But it will be done in the attractions area and not downtown. Ballari or CityMark, if those get built. I-Drive and the Disney area simply don't have any of the constraints that downtown Orlando has.

But I agree, Orlando is huge when it comes to sprawl.

Oooh - an interesting point is that Orlando could overtake the Tampa Bay area in population, at some point. Orlando is at 2 million, Tampa Bay 2.5.

But who's counting? (not me, surely!) :rolleyes:

According to Emporis, the height limit is 500 feet for San Diego. We could only be so lucky....

I do think, however, that the height limit will be broken in Orlando, by far. But it will be done in the attractions area and not downtown. Ballari or CityMark, if those get built. I-Drive and the Disney area simply don't have any of the constraints that downtown Orlando has.

But I agree, Orlando is huge when it comes to sprawl.

Oooh - an interesting point is that Orlando could overtake the Tampa Bay area in population, at some point. Orlando is at 2 million, Tampa Bay 2.5.

But who's counting? (not me, surely!) :rolleyes:

Yeah, the metro will hold the title, but west of i-4 there is no height limit i have heard.

but west of i-4 there is no height limit i have heard.

Well, the FAA height limits are more relaxed west of I-4, there is only one patch of land (City Place) that is west of I-4 and is zoned to go to the FAA height limits. You'd think there would be an amendment to the Orlando's GMP in the future if there is more of a core area expansion to that side of the fwy; otherwise, we'll continue to get projects like Corinthian (The Terrace) and that scale of development - - there are several neighborhoods that are sensitive about the march of development to that side. The higher land uses west of I-4 I believe will be in the Central/Church corridors.

• 4 weeks later...

Orlando is now home to only one Fortune 500 company, as Hughes Supply Inc. was purchased by Home Depot today for $3.2B.

Hughes said in November that it was considering strategic alternatives to boost shareholder value, and analysts quickly noted that it might mean a potential acquisition by a company such as Home Depot. Analysts said that such a deal also would be a blow to Orlando in that corporate control would shift to Atlanta, and Orlando would technically lose one of its two Fortune 500 companies.

Darden Restaurants Inc. is now Orlando's lone Fortune 500 company.

Orlando Sentinel Article

Edited by bic

Gee: I wonder if they are still going to build the Hughes supply mega-distribution center on Old Winter Garden Road at Mercy. The grading is complete - - I imagine it'll still be built.

The retail store on Ivanhoe is mid-build.

As far as the only Fortune 500 company in Orlando... maybe Barney's could get up there if everyone stopped praising Starbuck's like it's a church and you're going in to make an offering. I would like to see a Barney's downtown instead of the same old Starbuck's in every district.

The retail store on Ivanhoe is mid-build.

As far as the only Fortune 500 company in Orlando... maybe Barney's could get up there if everyone stopped praising Starbuck's like it's a church and you're going in to make an offering. I would like to see a Barney's downtown instead of the same old Starbuck's in every district.

There will be a Barney's in the Esplanade at 55W.

... maybe Barney's could get up there if everyone stopped praising Starbuck's like it's a church and you're going in to make an offering. I would like to see a Barney's downtown instead of the same old Starbuck's in every district.

That's because Barney's isn't as good as Starbucks. Also, we do have a lot of Barney's throughout this town.

That's because Barney's isn't as good as Starbucks. Also, we do have a lot of Barney's throughout this town.

Not to mention, Barney's doesn't have much of an identity. Close your eyes, and imagine the 'essence' of Starbucks...and you get a clear mental image. Think Barney's...and chances are, there is no clear cut branding-induced mental image. Barney's has a long way to go in creating a consistent image for itself, and until it does, it will have difficulty expanding into new markets. Consumer's have no reason to accept them, especially not when their needs are already fulfilled. I'd bet on Starbuck's buying Barney's before we see Barney's rise to Fortune 500 status.

And the loss of Hughes isn't much more than a small psychological blow to us prideful locals. Central Florida still offers a business-friendly climate, and corporations won't change their opinions of us based on Hughes alone...at least it's not like they packed up and decided to leave.

Losing a Fortune 500 company through acquisition is a let down though. Do you think a regional office would have taken a risk and made a commitment in Parramore? It wouldn't have happened. If they were a regional office at that time, they would have moved out to a suburban office park, which was something Hughes had considered. Corporate offices bring commitment and involvement in the community. They also give donations. If Hughes wants to give back to the community now, they'll need to get someones permission in Atlanta. How much support do you think some CEO in Atlanta is going to want to give to UCF, or a PAC in Orlando?

Not to mention, Barney's doesn't have much of an identity. Close your eyes, and imagine the 'essence' of Starbucks...and you get a clear mental image. Think Barney's...and chances are, there is no clear cut branding-induced mental image. Barney's has a long way to go in creating a consistent image for itself, and until it does, it will have difficulty expanding into new markets. Consumer's have no reason to accept them, especially not when their needs are already fulfilled. I'd bet on Starbuck's buying Barney's before we see Barney's rise to Fortune 500 status.

And the loss of Hughes isn't much more than a small psychological blow to us prideful locals. Central Florida still offers a business-friendly climate, and corporations won't change their opinions of us based on Hughes alone...at least it's not like they packed up and decided to leave.

This is taking this off topic. I apologize.

But... Like I said, you are one of these people that worships Starbucks. Arabica beans are Arabica beans.

And what you are telling me is that you would pass up a burger made at the Filling Station (voted best in Orlando), because McDonald's has really good branding???

As far as the original topic of Hughes, this is a huge loss to the area.

This is taking this off topic. I apologize.

But... Like I said, you are one of these people that worships Starbucks. Arabica beans are Arabica beans.

And what you are telling me is that you would pass up a burger made at the Filling Station (voted best in Orlando), because McDonald's has really good branding???

Nah, I think you got me wrong. I'm definitely not a Starbucks worshiper, nor am I going to turn down good food in place of second rate food at a place with better branding. But...the majority of America is - especially when we're talking about a chain. To stick with your McDonald's example, there's a reason there've been 'billions served,' and it's not the grade of meat in the hamburgers. The only point I tried to make is that Barnies isn't going to become more mainstream without further developing and familiarizing the public with their brand. That's what the most successful chains do.

I mean, checking out their website says it all - http://www.barniescoffee.com/ecomm/Home.jsp - it's bland and indescript. They don't have a consistent vision - I've been in some Barnies shops that make me feel cozy and right at home, and others that are cold and rather sterile. While Starbucks established their niche (or uber-niche in their case), Barnies has yet to do so.

Edited by uncreativeusername

I guess I'm the only one...

I think Dunkin Donuts coffee is the best. Their donuts suck, especially compared to KK, but the coffee is great.

...and all coffee gives me the craps, so I guess I never noticed the difference with DD. :D

Edited by Chemmie

DD coffee is really big up North. I know you can't find a Starbucks anywhere in Western Massachusetts (where I am orig. from) but there are DDs on every block.

Shoot, there are DDs in Boston like you have McDs, BKs, 7-11s and Starbucks all combined here.

DDs originated from somewhere in Mass.

Edited by bulldogger

• 2 weeks later...

Plus, Starbucks is a "fad" niche store that people goto b/c its cool to do what the Seattle scene "Singles" era people did in the early nineties Clinton years. Starbucks did a great job marketing. It makes people feel cultured; people in suburbia mostly. My cousin from Chicago was preaching Starbucks back in '95 like it was Sony Playstation. I didn't understand it then. I do now. It's "cool".

But you can't beat the crowd at Einstein's in WP.