Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Daily Grind to close uptown location:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/lo...0,2595255.story

Interesting to note that foot traffic up there is still lagging. I've always wondered if Orange should be narrowed (and perhaps made 2-way)

with the major traffic rerouted southbound on Hughey to connect the neighborhood (rathr than drag strip) feel of that area back to downtown and the residential areas surrounding it. Of course, you'd need a way to connect the traffic on the south end back to Orange Avenue, which might be prohibitively expensive, but hey, I can dream.

It looks like plans for the expansion of Lymo involve the creation of a dedicated bus lane on Orange Avenue from Uptown to near Highway 50, so that would help to narrow the regular traffic lanes, create more pedestrian traffic, and help to improve the streetscape.

Daily Grind to close uptown location:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/lo...0,2595255.story

Interesting to note that foot traffic up there is still lagging. I've always wondered if Orange should be narrowed (and perhaps made 2-way)

with the major traffic rerouted southbound on Hughey to connect the neighborhood (rathr than drag strip) feel of that area back to downtown and the residential areas surrounding it. Of course, you'd need a way to connect the traffic on the south end back to Orange Avenue, which might be prohibitively expensive, but hey, I can dream.

darn shame. downturn kept Verde from opening; that would've helped. just like the Cold Stone situation at PTP... maybe Ustler can help them out and float them for a while- I don't know;

^^

the Mormons.

fascinating that the #1 cattle producer is in CFLA and the #1 horse or thoroughbred producer is Marion County which is just NW of CFLA metro area. who would've thought. cattle and horses. are we still #1 in citrus, or is CA?

FL is still the largest citrus producing state in the US (the industry has moved largely to areas in Polk and further south) but US production has been eclipsed by countries such as Brazil and China in recent years.

FL is still the largest citrus producing state in the US (the industry has moved largely to areas in Polk and further south) but US production has been eclipsed by countries such as Brazil and China in recent years.

China makes oranges? Do they even have the climate?

China makes oranges? Do they even have the climate?

http://www.abareonlineshop.com/PdfFiles/RR06.2.10.Citrus.pdf

"....China was the fourth largest citrus producer in the world in 2003..."

"...Citrus is predominantly grown across the southeast of China..."

Remember that China, like the U.S., is a large country spanning several temperate zones. Apparently the largest city in the region (at least that we insulated Americans may have heard of) is Chongqing.

We cover the world here at Urban Planet Orlando! :thumbsup:

Aren't the oranges in Florida called Valencia Oranges? I thought the history of oranges in Florida dates back to the Spanish settlers bringing them on their journeys to prevent scurvey?

We have many varieties of oranges here in Florida, including valencias, tangelos and those "spicy parson Browns" (as Bing Crosby used to say in the Minute Maid commercials). Citrus likely came to FL with the Spanish, but the Orange County citrus industry actually got its biggest initial boost from Englishman who settled the areas in the late 1800's. Like spaghetti, which came from China (supposedly via Marco Polo) and we now consider Italian, we sometimes forget that "globalization" was alive and well even in antiquity.

I read that Good Morning America is doing a show at the Church Street Station this Thursday?? It will be aired in the Cheyenne Saloon and out at Church Street Station. That will be sweet, I hope alot of people will come out.

"Good Morning America" is coming to Orlando's Church Street Station on Thursday, October 30th."Good Morning America" at Cheyenne Saloon will do half the show from inside the Cheyenne Saloon and the rest from outside. The program, which airs at 7 a.m. weekdays on WFTV-Channel 9, is asking fans to come out and be part of the audience.Coffee and bagels will be available at 6:15 a.m. Banners and Halloween costumes are welcome.

"Good Morning America" is coming to Orlando's Church Street Station on Thursday, October 30th."Good Morning America" at Cheyenne Saloon will do half the show from inside the Cheyenne Saloon and the rest from outside. The program, which airs at 7 a.m. weekdays on WFTV-Channel 9, is asking fans to come out and be part of the audience.Coffee and bagels will be available at 6:15 a.m. Banners and Halloween costumes are welcome.

Barack and Michelle Obama will be guest on the show according to the programming guide.