Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

There won't be any plans anytime soon at least until there is a buyer unless the City steps in.

I guess there are 3 general outcomes that could happen:

1) Another firm purchases the mall and invests in improving it.

2) The mall is repurposed into a school, corporate center, or other facility.

3) The land is repurposed, mall may/may not be retained in current form, likely infill development over much of surface parking.

I do agree that maybe retail isn't best for this location anymore. I would love to see the mall taken over by more offices and maybe a good museum or two. Heck, why not have Full Sail buy it? Studio space, a large movie theater on site, it would be perfect for them.

I think this is exciting news. Lots of potential for redevelopment at this mall, along with the rest of that stretch of Colonial (all the way down to 436).

The East Colonial Drive Vision that the city has was updated in Feb-March. In those reports it shows the older plans for Fashion Square having both indoor and outdoor shopping and a residential component added to the eastern edge of the mall property. The city seems to be designing its plans around the assumption that this and the GOAA property plans are both still in place.

That makes me wonder who ever buys the mall would surely at least be made aware of these plans and possibly pressured by local stakeholders (like the city officially or unofficially) to continue with these remodeling plans.

Check out the Bennett Road and Herndon Ave presentations for the most details on the Fashion Sq plans. It even looks like the city is planning on adding a couple of new roads in that area to connect to this proposed residential addition to the mall.

These plans remind me of the presentations for the Semoran Blvd visioning plan. Very modest and hopefully bigger plans are made behind the scenes while this just serves as a planning exercise.

I mean it doesn't take a lot of "vision" to stick a Dunkin Donuts in the empty lot next to the Arby's. I don't think that a lack of intersection enhancemnets are what is keeping Dunkin away.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Billy Manes and the crew over at Orlando Weekly have done a great in-depth look at "Who the Hell Are We?" with several columns talking about Orlando, the I4 corridor and what we think about ourselves vs. what others think about us. It's a good thought-provoker about the region.

http://orlandoweekly.com/mickey-mouse-creationism-and-i-4-corridor-culture-1.1361912

Spaceship builder setting up shop in Florida

With the manned space race heating back up as China and South Korea now planning manned missions beyond earth orbit, and with the NASA monopoly over on some flights here at home, this could (and should) be a major growth area for the central Florida economy. Oddly, its one that most of us in Orlando rarely think about despite connections we have to Brevard both politically and corporately (such as Lockheed Martin.)

Anyway, the latest good news on that front:

http://articles.orla...dy-space-center

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Groups push to make Lake Apopka marshes a National Wildlife Refuge

This is a great idea for Lake Apopka. If you haven't been out there in a while, the number of birds out in the marshes has exploded and it's once again on its way to becoming the natural gem it was before WWII and the development of the muck farms. Bringing back the fish is going to take a lot longer, but this could only help. The good news is that cities along the lake (especially Winter Garden) realize what a plus this could be for their future. The villain in the piece is a group of developers who want to actually use the marshland for a general aviation airport,even though they have to date been unable to show any real demand for one in such an important environmental location. Once upon a time, even presidents visited Lake Apopka for the bass fishing - let's hope it can happen again someday.

http://articles.orla...gnation-marshes

Edited by spenser1058

New laws reducing beach driving pedestrian accidents, officials say

http://articles.orla...ol-tammy-marris

I'm glad to see this. It had definitely gotten out of hand but paying some attention to the problem seems to have engendered a workable solution. Despite the tut-tutting of the yuppies from out of town, driving on the central Florida beaches is part of our heritage (heaven knows it goes back before Gatorland, not to mention the Mouse - it's an integral part of how NASCAR came to be.) I think it's important to have the vehicle-free sections as well as to watch out for the turtles to the south, but this is something that's every bit as unique. Good work (albeit late) by Volusia County.

Edited by spenser1058

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer considering 2014 run for governor

http://articles.orla...ernatorial-race

Here we go - if Buddy goes ahead with the run, this could have quite an impact on downtown. Each mayor's approach to the center city has been different, so it will be fascinating to see the list of candidates develop. Given the city's heavy Democratic tilt and the fact that an incredibly small number of folks will likely determine who the next mayor will be (I'm researching now when Buddy would have to resign if he chooses to compete), this could be an interesting turn of events.

Edited by spenser1058

Winter Garden voted favorite farmers market

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-winter-garden-wins-farmers-market-contest-20120906,0,7797081.story

"The city's weekly Saturday open-air market, where shoppers can buy fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables and other produce, draws such large crowds that city leaders have proposed building a parking garage downtown."

The leadership of the folks out there continues to impress me with their "can do" attitude for a city of that size. Best of all, they are doing amazing things while keeping the finances in check (it's an amazing tale of revitalization made possible by growth in the newer, suburban areas south of FL 50 - good to see the cash flow moving in that direction after so many decades when it was just the opposite.

Downtown banners mark Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra's 20th anniversary

A shout out to the Orlando Phil for its 20th anniversary, which is all the more notable as it's one of the few orchestras across the country to mostly stay in the black during its existence. While the Phil itself is only 20, it's a descendant of the previous Florida Symphony Orchestra which dated back to the 1940's. 20 years ago, an internecine battle over labor issues led to its demise but dedicated arts folks in central Florida (despite what you always read, yes we do in fact have those) jumped right back in and started over. Today, despite being consigned to performing in the barn that is Bob Carr, the Phil is doing fine. Imagine what they'll be able to do once Phase II of DPAC comes along. Congratulations! (Also, thanks to Matt Palm for great work on the arts over at the Sentinel.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Downtown banners mark Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra's 20th anniversary

A shout out to the Orlando Phil for its 20th anniversary, which is all the more notable as it's one of the few orchestras across the country to mostly stay in the black during its existence. While the Phil itself is only 20, it's a descendant of the previous Florida Symphony Orchestra which dated back to the 1940's. 20 years ago, an internecine battle over labor issues led to its demise but dedicated arts folks in central Florida (despite what you always read, yes we do in fact have those) jumped right back in and started over. Today, despite being consigned to performing in the barn that is Bob Carr, the Phil is doing fine. Imagine what they'll be able to do once Phase II of DPAC comes along. Congratulations! (Also, thanks to Matt Palm for great work on the arts over at the Sentinel.)

I think they've only had one year in the red, and are arguably the most solid of the arts organizations locally, thanks largely to the leadership of David Schillhammer, their executive director.

This is kinda old at this point, but I just found out and haven't seen anything else online to identify the tenant. That's a good chunk of space to rent.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-22/business/os-cfb-real-estate-office-0723-20120722_1_largest-office-leases-tenant-square-feet

Anyone have any leads on this?

This is kinda old at this point, but I just found out and haven't seen anything else online to identify the tenant. That's a good chunk of space to rent.

http://articles.orla...ant-square-feet

Anyone have any leads on this?

My guess would be either Comcast (which now owns Universal) or Disney, as both are entertainment companies in the Fortune 100 (Blackstone, which owns Sea World, is not.) For sometime now there has been chatter that the next direction for international theme parks is South America, and likely Brazil. Meanwhile, they could use space for sales of tour packages in the Brazilian market. Although all this is nothing more than speculation, I'd go with Comcast.

Some even deeper speculation: the unofficial Disney discussion boards have also noted that one of Disney's Imagineers who helped lead the DCA redo in California has been transferred to Florida. The consensus there seems to think it has to do with a major DCA-like redo of Disney's Hollywood Studios, but if the mystery company is in fact Disney, she could be coming to start working on a Brazil theme park.

Edited by spenser1058

Too big, too fast? UCF's class sizes, rapid growth worry education leaders

Someone is finally addressing the elephant in the room. Is it finally time to look at the post- John Hitt era and emphasize quality over quantity? Or does quality of undergraduate education matter so long as research dollars continue to flow?

Edited by spenser1058

And is it time to consider a new state university for Central Florida to take the pressure off UCF? Could the Valencia College Osceola campus be retrofitted into a separate four year university that, at least initially, specializes in the needs of the community it serves, while offering a wider range of degrees that would attract a diverse study body?

And is it time to consider a new state university for Central Florida to take the pressure off UCF? Could the Valencia College Osceola campus be retrofitted into a separate four year university that, at least initially, specializes in the needs of the community it serves, while offering a wider range of degrees that would attract a diverse study body?

The state is creating a new research university in Lakeland thats set to open up in 2013 I believe... FPU, Florida Polytechnic University, which in the future could provide some relief, and in the past few years, most of florida's now "State Colleges" have started offering some 4 year degrees. But if we're concerned about the student-faculty ratio and class sizes, why not give more money to UCF? The quality has been there with this growth, with the average admission metrics, graduation rates, etc all heading in the right direction with this growth.

Another option to control growth would have to be the elimination (or make the requirements more stringent) for the Direct Connect to UCF program that guarantees admission if students meet certain criteria after attending the local state colleges. It probably isn't as necessary now as most of the state colleges are offering some 4 year degrees, but that program has brought UCF into the spotlight and been recognized by the white house and many others as a very successful and positive program for the community.

Ah education. A subject after my own heart.

An observation from someone who works for a college in New England, I am amused how Florida seems to have this Wal-mart one-size-fits-all mentality towards education. The answer isnt one or the other - it's both - and more. There is a place for a large Gen-ed university in the area like UCF. There are, believe it or not, students who do better in arena classrooms with lots of nightlife to keep them entertained. But there is also room for smaller more specialized colleges. FPU sounds like one of them - focused, mission driven, STEM based. While Valencia does, I believe, an excellent job, it is a huge school. The focus on student performance gets lost - not just in class size, but by faculty and administrators, who loose touch with the college culture. Full Sail, although a bit commercial for my tastes, is a great example of a small forward-looking college. IT focuses on key programs, and does them well. It is a target school for those looking for a quality education.

You can't address education like you do groceries. Students are going to pick the school they want to go to - they don't just go to "any school". So just making multiple campuses does not really fix that problem. What you need to do is focus your educational institutions. Let UCF be the big guy - arena classes, frat parties, and football teams. But also provide specialized institutions. Orlando could use a good smaller Arts school - something more urban focused and individual. And perhaps towards the coast, a smaller business and liberal arts school for those students not ready for a big impersonal college.

While I agree completely with what you're saying, I think there's also a lot more going on at UCF than its statistics will have you believe. For kids who really look hard, there's a high-quality honors program and really specialized tracks -- not to mention very competitive engineering and nursing programs, among others. Yeah, every single anthropology class I took towards my degree had 40+ people in it. But I also had Spanish classes with 12 people in them, or one-on-one independent study classes. Also, the (fairly good) grades and test scores I got in with eight years ago are now below the UCF average. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I have to defend my school a little given all the recent headlines ;-)

I think with Rollins, Stetson, and even New College not too far away, there are options for those looking for a more intimate experience. Hopefully Creative Village will help bring more specialized colleges (or colleges within universities) downtown.

Ah education. A subject after my own heart.

An observation from someone who works for a college in New England, I am amused how Florida seems to have this Wal-mart one-size-fits-all mentality towards education. The answer isnt one or the other - it's both - and more. There is a place for a large Gen-ed university in the area like UCF. There are, believe it or not, students who do better in arena classrooms with lots of nightlife to keep them entertained. But there is also room for smaller more specialized colleges. FPU sounds like one of them - focused, mission driven, STEM based. While Valencia does, I believe, an excellent job, it is a huge school. The focus on student performance gets lost - not just in class size, but by faculty and administrators, who loose touch with the college culture. Full Sail, although a bit commercial for my tastes, is a great example of a small forward-looking college. IT focuses on key programs, and does them well. It is a target school for those looking for a quality education.

You can't address education like you do groceries. Students are going to pick the school they want to go to - they don't just go to "any school". So just making multiple campuses does not really fix that problem. What you need to do is focus your educational institutions. Let UCF be the big guy - arena classes, frat parties, and football teams. But also provide specialized institutions. Orlando could use a good smaller Arts school - something more urban focused and individual. And perhaps towards the coast, a smaller business and liberal arts school for those students not ready for a big impersonal college.

Isn't Full Sail and Rollins, while not downtown, meeting the rest of your defintions? I think UCF and Orlando could really use a "competing" private research and engineering university that offers small class sizes. I doubt anything like that is coming anytime soon, but if a student wants an engineering degree with smaller class sizes and the private-school atmosphere, there is no good option in Orlando. FPU will at least add some nearby competition, although all the way in Lakeland.

Isn't Full Sail and Rollins, while not downtown, meeting the rest of your defintions? I think UCF and Orlando could really use a "competing" private research and engineering university that offers small class sizes. I doubt anything like that is coming anytime soon, but if a student wants an engineering degree with smaller class sizes and the private-school atmosphere, there is no good option in Orlando. FPU will at least add some nearby competition, although all the way in Lakeland.

You hit the nail on the head - Orlando has a few liberal arts colleges already. Could we use a few more? Probably. I wonder if the DPAC folks have ever considered a start-up arts college to compliment and feed their operation. Sounds like it could be a win-win for students and art-goers.

What really is lacking is a private research institution driving innovation and discovery. This is why the creative village may fail. We don't have an MIT, a Boston University, Emory, to back up the "creative" concept which brings in federal grants to fund these types of operations.

It's not just class size. It's school size, and that is something I think that a lot of states and people, not just Florida, miss. The reality is that a student's journey through college is about much more than classes. Just as some people love living in the big city and some want to live in a small town, so some students want to go to a huge college, and some want to go to a real small one. And some also want to go to one in between. Full Sail definitely fits the bill, I think there is rome for more. And perhaps something less "comercialized". It's not something you can build right away, either - it takes some time to develop.

Oh, I of course wouldn't be opposed to more, but Rollins is also a smaller school that is less commercialized. Between those two, I feel like we do have the basics covered for liberal arts colleges, but offering more then one choice for each style is good

But we are missing that smaller, private research university. Unfortunately, none of the small schools around here have any desire to even become that... we could really use a new "University of Orlando"

FPU really emphasizes what a bad idea it really was to kill the HSR link. I am perhaps being a bit of an optimist here, but maybe this will be enough to drive a rail project connecting USF, FPU, and UCF.

All Aboard Florida did have that route to Tampa as a possible future expansion and I'm sure FPU will help it, as many of its students will be sourced from Orlando and Tampa, especially initially as USF and UCF have become much more competitive and have lower acceptance rates... I'd hope they leave room in the design of the campus for a rail transit system as originally planned...

One thing, I was reading up a little bit on FPU, and seeing exactly what and how that came to be, I would be very careful about setting my expectations too high. Once again this is a case of the state thinking people are produce and can just be relocated at will, and are just a certain quanmtity of the same thing. This move and break really will reverberate through the student and faculy population. That could be something quite disaterous to both enrollment and academics.

It will increase the competition of universities in the state as they do tend to be competitive with each other, which should be good for all of the other state universities. I think it is better for them to create new state universities then new campuses for the existing ones, as there really aren't that many in Florida... I think the biggest mistake the state is making is spreading the resources of each university thin by pushing "regional campuses" which are not adequately resourced. These single building or shared building regional campuses should be given to the state colleges they're at to encourage them to offer more 4 year programs and give a good opportunity to end the guaranteed admission to a state university program, and allow the research universities to shine and become top in the nation.

With all this discussion on Lakeland and FPU I wanted to hit a few points and comments...

• Is the office/research park across I-4 from FPU still planned? I recall hearing that Google was looking to open an office there but I want to say that was moved to Sarasota

• While the HSR was cancelled (for now, until we get that Crist/Dyer ticket in two years-I've said before I expect HSR to be a major plot point of the next governors election) is the bridge over I-4 still planned? It was both a pedestrian bridge (connecting to Lakeland HSR station in the median of I-4 and a road connecting FPU to the research park across I-4.

• I drove past FPU today (on the new University and Research Avenues to get pics but the view from I-4 seems to be much better). Oddly the road in front of FPU has tons of street side parallel parking along it, it's a bit odd for so much parking off the campus and just surrounded by cow fields. Plenty of street lights and stop lights.

• With the discussion on local colleges I think it should be noted that while Orlando itself doesn't have many the area around Orlando does seem to have a lot (Rollins, Stetson-with Celebration and Deland campuses, Florida Southern, all the former community colleges, the three [FullSail, Dave, and now what looks to be a massive expansion plan coming out of F.I.R.S.T. School, not to mention UCF Digital Arts] major media schools we now have locally, etc.). In Lakeland while Florida Southern has been the preferred liberal arts college in the town across town sits Southeastern University, a smaller (2,500 or so students) but growing religious (at least for now) school that has been in a growth spurt the last decade or so. I posted over on SkyscraperCity plans I found of what looks to be a new 3 story hotel planned for the SEU campus. This is on top of the new $7million business school, the Ken Blanchard Executive Leadership Center, and the performing arts building that is in the long term plans for the university. SEU is a good school to follow locally to see the issues with growth that other local colleges will be addressing in the coming years.

• While Lakeland has a long ways to go it does seem to be maturing into it's own right these last few years.

[*]As for DPAC the gossip I've heard (so I'm claiming how true this is but just what I've heard) say that UCF was wanting to partner with them and have DPAC host all their performing arts classes and programs. DPAC turned this down as they were wanting a more professional arts center. This, of course, pissed UCF off and that's when they aggressively started planning their own arts center on the UCF campus. Phase 1 of that center is now built with Phase 2 in the 10 yr plans. I would have love to see DPAC and UCF work together but just like many of the other arts groups in town it sounds like DPAC might have some leaders who are more worried about copying others than trying something different (I'm looking at you OMA). Let's hope that Rollins or Valencia step up and help DPAC fix this mistake.

[*]I do feel we need a large academic presence in downtown. I work at a small liberal arts college in downtown Tampa and having these students with seemingly endless amounts of expendable cash does wonders for local businesses (especially the bars) while also adding a vibrancy to the local community. Any great town has at least one college in it's downtown (the American examples off top of my head are Minneapolis, Chicago, and NY and Boston of course). I've long dreamed of a college moving into Parramore or Downtown South. The key is that this college needs to have dorm style living in a downtown setting, an option that outside of the college I work at isn't really available in Central Florida (Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and even Miami to some regards all do have this option though). If students are forced to drive onto and off campus having it in downtown won't that much (and with the current rental rates downtown-as mentioned on another board here- price out many individuals, myself included- I live in Hannibal Square in Winter Park and I would say the majority of the people who live here whom I've spoken with have expressed a desire to live in downtown Orlando vs here but don't due to prices and safety-another topic that is being addressed on a different board here).

[*]Even if not in the downtown districts I love to see Valencia follow Hillsborough Community College example of offering dorms.

Retirees choosing the mid-South over Florida

http://www.bizjourna...south-over.html

While Orange, Seminole and Osceola counties are not so much affected by this, Lake and some of the other exurban ones could find tough sledding in their economies if this continues to hold true. It could also affect any rebound of the residential construction industry throughout the region. Brookings is usually pretty trustworthy, so I am anxious to see more on this. The possible silver lining, of course, is that it might slow down sprawl in the exurbs and give us time to respond to the ongoing environmental degradation Florida has experienced for the past couple of decades (not even Silver Springs is safe.)

Edited by spenser1058