Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

A quote I really liked from a Sentinel article about OMA's new director:

"What's fascinating to me is the Orlando that people don't truly know or understand. Disney is a positive entity in greater Orlando, but there are all these interesting little neighborhoods," he says. "There's an urban feel in a sprawling suburban city. The diversity is interesting to me."

Edited by spenser1058

Marina has run the museum conservstvely for many years. I hope Mr Gentele will be more aggressive with fundraising and acquisitions - it'd also be interesting to see a spring cleaning exhibition of the collection. There are many many interesting works that don't see the light of day nearly enough.

The Sentinel is reporting CHASE is to become the official bank of the magic. First, CHASE Plaza and now this - if only they'd buy rights to the arena and get Amway off there!

Perhaps the best part of this:

"With the new deal, Chase would also appear to be well-positioned to be one of the lenders — if not the lead bank — in the development of the Magic's proposed $100 million sports-and-entertainment complex adjacent to Amway Center, though Martins said the franchise has not discussed the project with Chase. The Magic have until June 21 to exercise a purchase option for the property on which the complex would be built. Martins said the team will not make a decision until then."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-chase-bank-magic-partners-20130118,0,3226211.story

Edited by spenser1058

Sweetbay store closings driven by Publix, Wal-Mart pressure, sagging parent company performance

The Tampa Bay Times is reporting Sweetbay is closing 33 stores, leaving 72 (there are two in Clermont, both on the hit list.) Since the stores are mostly in the Tampa Bay area, this is of interest mostly to note PUBLIX seems to be vanquishing yet ANOTHER of its competitors, this one owned by Belgian grocer Delhaize Corp. There are few local success stories better than Publix.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/venturebiz/content/sweetbay-store-closings-driven-publix-wal-mart-pressure-sagging-parent-company-performance

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Nelson: New Navy training work could create up to 700 jobs in Orlando

Someone once said of LA: "The movie business didn't make LA - the aerospace industry did. Hollywood just made LA interesting." In some ways. our theme park industry gets all the attention, but simulation is a really important outgrowth of what Martin brought to town long before Walt arrived. Bill Clinton, whenever he has a chance to talk about Orlando, rarely fails to mention this unique part of our local economy.

More confirmation in today's Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cubic-navy-contract-jobs-20130128,0,7604564.story

Edited by spenser1058

Sweetbay store closings driven by Publix, Wal-Mart pressure, sagging parent company performance

The Tampa Bay Times is reporting Sweetbay is closing 33 stores, leaving 72 (there are two in Clermont, both on the hit list.) Since the stores are mostly in the Tampa Bay area, this is of interest mostly to note PUBLIX seems to be vanquishing yet ANOTHER of its competitors, this one owned by Belgian grocer Delhaize Corp. There are few local success stories better than Publix.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/venturebiz/content/sweetbay-store-closings-driven-publix-wal-mart-pressure-sagging-parent-company-performance

Will there be any chance of a competitor opening perhaps with later or 24hrs.  I lived in Charlotte which has good grocery competition. Including Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, Harris Teeter, Target, Bravo, etc.  Some Harris Teeters would close early while others remained open 24/7.  Now Publix has plans to open in that market as well. It seems small townish that 10pm is the limit on going to a store in Orlando. I wonder if any other stores will dare take on the Publix domination.

• Like 1

Will there be any chance of a competitor opening perhaps with later or 24hrs.  I lived in Charlotte which has good grocery competition. Including Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, Harris Teeter, Target, Bravo, etc.  Some Harris Teeters would close early while others remained open 24/7.  Now Publix has plans to open in that market as well. It seems small townish that 10pm is the limit on going to a store in Orlando. I wonder if any other stores will dare take on the Publix domination.

TJ's made it up the coast to Sarasota and then skipped to Gainesville so who knows when we may get one. There's a Whole Foods in WP and Dr Phillips and Fresh Market will be in Mills Park. We're making progress slowly but surely on the high end. The low end is well-represented by Aldi, DGM, Save-A-Lot, etc. Poor Winn-Dixie is as confused as can be about what it is. As to 24/7, Albertsons and W-D all tried it but backed off for whatever reason - I think Walmart is the option left for that. Personally, I'd be good if Publix went to 6am-midnight. Rumor had it Publix was playing with 24/7, but we're in the Jacksonville Division, and it's the least receptive to any new ideas Publix has. We'll see...

Interesting news from the coast in a couple of stories today:

From OBJ, http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2013/01/30/3-companies-move-to-daytona-beach-ucf.html . I've long complained about tourism's iron grip on Daytona Beach and it's good to see UCF, the City and Volusia County investing in businesses that could change that.

Meanwhile, SpaceFlorida is struggling to get an agreement with NASA for a new launch pad for SpaceX before they select another site for commercial launches:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-shiloh-nasa-spacex-florida-20130127,0,7711500.story

Obviously, this is important for the, um, Space Coast, and Sen. Nelson's (Bill, not Tony!) seniority in the majority party,along with his interest (he's a native Brevard Countian and a former astronaut) hopefully augurs well so that Brevard doesn't turn into yet another tpurism-only county. 

• 3 weeks later...
Orlando in running to host WrestleMania in 2015 or 2016

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/02/orlando-in-running-to-host.html?ana=fbk

Just the sort of quality event we can look forward to when we divert money to our friends at the Citrus Bowl from DPAC. It reminds me that study after study has indicated almost without exception that when business executives are queried as to the type of civic activities more likely to encourage them to relocate their firms to a given area, the arts win out over professional sports. But hey! We've got WrestleMania!

As someone who donated (albeit a minor one) to DPAC, I've become increasingly concerned by some of their leadership blunders, the most concerning to exclude Florida Theatrical Association (luckily donor pressure quickly corrected this obvious lapse in judgment). 

If the Phase II campaign is indeed stalled at 65%, where are the board of directors and why are they not raising awareness?  They need to be at the helm of this ship, not locked away in the cabin. 

Orlando in running to host WrestleMania in 2015 or 2016

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/02/orlando-in-running-to-host.html?ana=fbk

Just the sort of quality event we can look forward to when we divert money to our friends at the Citrus Bowl from DPAC. It reminds me that study after study has indicated almost without exception that when business executives are queried as to the type of civic activities more likely to encourage them to relocate their firms to a given area, the arts win out over professional sports. But hey! We've got WrestleMania!

I personally have no problem with well-oiled, muscle-bound men rolling around on the floor in their underwear.

• Like 3

I know it is a sore point, but it is apples to oranges. 

DPAC will get done. But I would be more concerned with the operations, not the construction. 

As to getting DPAC done, we were told in 1978 that the Bob Carr upgrade was "temporary." Shall we wait another 35 years for the "temporary" delay of Phase II? I agree with you on the financing, though. That's why the money we're having to beg for from the private sector needs to be used for the endowment while the city upholds its original commitment for the building.

I personally have no problem with well-oiled, muscle-bound men rolling around on the floor in their underwear.

Nor do I, but I also like fine athletic guys in tights at the ballet. Finish DPAC and I'll buy you a beer at WrestleMania!

• 1 month later...

Orlando slated as #1 city for job growth

http://www.creditdonkey.com/where-job-growth.html

1. Orlando, FL

orlando.jpg ORLANDO, FLORIDA

• Change in Employment: 4.9%
  • Change in Unemployment -1.6 percentage points
  • Gallup Job Creation Index: 28.5

In a state that suffered some of the worst consequences of the housing bust that started in 2007, the Orlando area is coming back with a bang. Though its employment rate is still relatively high at 7.7 percent, Orlando reduced the rate significantly, relative to other areas on this list, by 1.6 percentage points over the past year. It also added 47,000 jobs, an increase of nearly 5 percent.

• 2 weeks later...

TJ's made it up the coast to Sarasota and then skipped to Gainesville so who knows when we may get one. There's a Whole Foods in WP and Dr Phillips and Fresh Market will be in Mills Park. We're making progress slowly but surely on the high end. The low end is well-represented by Aldi, DGM, Save-A-Lot, etc. Poor Winn-Dixie is as confused as can be about what it is. As to 24/7, Albertsons and W-D all tried it but backed off for whatever reason - I think Walmart is the option left for that. Personally, I'd be good if Publix went to 6am-midnight. Rumor had it Publix was playing with 24/7, but we're in the Jacksonville Division, and it's the least receptive to any new ideas Publix has. We'll see...

Official: Trader Joe's set for Winter Park

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-trader-joes-orlando-area-20130503,0,4781891.story

Praha beat me to the punch...I was busy searching.

Edited by FLheat