Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I have recently, while channel flipping, been catching little snippets of the 1990's sitcom Coach.

Because I never watched it (and still don't), I had no idea that during the last couple of seasons, the show was set here in Orlando, with the lead character as the coach of an imaginary NFL expansion team called The Orlando Breakers.

obhelmet.jpg

I imagine that this is all old news to most, but I had no idea. 

Now I'm wondering if any of those episodes were actually shot here on location or if they ever even used some stock footage from the area.

One thing that occurs to me, especially in light of yesterday's I-4 gas-leak backup, and in recognition of those who brave I-4 on a daily basis, maybe the name of our imaginary sitcom football team should've been The Brakers.

• Haha 1

Orlando ranked #8 among US metros for construction jobs gained in May (did someone say, ummm, JOBS?) Of course, no small part of that was for workers on the billions of dollars (yep, with a "B") in new construction on infrastructure, transport, lodging and new attractions for 70+ million 12 year old expected to visit Disney, Universal and other areas annually in the tourist zone this year, next year and into the foreseeable future.

Just to be clear: construction JOBS pay well over minimum wage and are part of the ancillary effect on the local economy, along with the, ummm, attorneys, accountants and all the other folks who toil on behalf of and are supported by our largest industry.

In fact, the three legs of the Central Florida economy are tourism, growth (aka construction) and tech.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-orlando-jobs-construction-increase-may-20180627-story.html

From the Sentinel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Orlando ranked #8 among US metros for construction jobs gained in May (did someone say, ummm, JOBS?) Of course, no small part of that was for workers on the billions of dollars (yep, with a "B") in new construction on infrastructure, transport, lodging and new attractions for 70+ million 12 year old expected to visit Disney, Universal and other areas annually in the tourist zone this year, next year and into the foreseeable future.

Just to be clear: construction JOBS pay well over minimum wage and are part of the ancillary effect on the local economy, along with the, ummm, attorneys, accountants and all the other folks who toil on behalf of and are supported by our largest industry.

In fact, the three legs of the Central Florida economy are tourism, growth (aka construction) and tech.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-orlando-jobs-construction-increase-may-20180627-story.html

From the Sentinel

A post about jobs!

Let's talk about jobs.  If you are comfortable with an economy based on tourism & construction, that is your choice. 

I remember 2008 too well. (And I wasn't even here at the time).

It all went kaboom. 

It's like the economy was built on a house of cards.  The FIRST thing people give up in recession is their vacations.  And we are looking at a rather large recession here shortly.  (I hope I am wrong)

Want to hear something really impressive?  Austin recently announced 3,000 jobs with Indeed (mostly software engineers).  A few weeks earlier, Austin announced 1,000 jobs at a new Home Depot Tech & Innovation Center.  

Edited by I am Reality

As mentioned before, construction and manufacturing jobs can be quite lucrative. Fortunately, Orlando has quite a lot of them and it's why Orlando is one of the most popular places to move to right now (we've had a few even join us here on UP lately!)

The Sentinel posted a list of how much these jobs can make and some make you go "wow!"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-orlando-jobs-20-hour-future-20180628-story.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

As mentioned before, construction and manufacturing jobs can be quite lucrative. Fortunately, Orlando has quite a lot of them and it's why Orlando is one of the most popular places to move to right now (we've had a few even join us here on UP lately!)

The Sentinel posted a list of how much these jobs can make and some make you go "wow!"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-orlando-jobs-20-hour-future-20180628-story.html

Construction jobs are great, well-paying jobs.   No dispute there.  

I personally don't think construction should be a leading industry though.   Construction is very reliant on underlying economic conditions.  Like tourism jobs, construction jobs are cut very quickly during an economic downturn (as happened in 2008).

I am no economic expert.  But I think that economic growth drives construction, rather than construction driving economic growth.  Surely, construction wages are recycled through the economy.  But Orlando relies too much on construction as an economic driver.  And it gets burned when things go south.  Others, I am sure, will disagree. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Construction jobs are great, well-paying jobs.   No dispute there.  

I personally don't think construction should be a leading industry though.   Construction is very reliant on underlying economic conditions.  Like tourism jobs, construction jobs are cut very quickly during an economic downturn (as happened in 2008).

I am no economic expert.  But I think that economic growth drives construction, rather than construction driving economic growth.  Surely, construction wages are recycled through the economy.  But Orlando relies too much on construction as an economic driver.  And it gets burned when things go south.  Others, I am sure, will disagree. 

So, um, the construction we have has been driven by our economic growth, has it not? Nobody's building to build, they're building because there is demand for the facilities they're building, whether its new theme parks, new homes, or a new medical city with lots of smaller tenants.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, aent said:

So, um, the construction we have has been driven by our economic growth, has it not? Nobody's building to build, they're building because there is demand for the facilities they're building, whether its new theme parks, new homes, or a new medical city with lots of smaller tenants.

I think his point was that, when things go wrong, construction jobs fly out the window... 

But that being said, if construction jobs ARE a leading industry, it is because the economy is good.   Based on my knowledge, constructions jobs have more or less consistently been strong in places like Chicago, Miami, and NYC and those cities are otherwise flourishing notwithstanding.

15 hours ago, I am Reality said:

A post about jobs!

Let's talk about jobs.  If you are comfortable with an economy based on tourism & construction, that is your choice. 

I remember 2008 too well. (And I wasn't even here at the time).

It all went kaboom. 

It's like the economy was built on a house of cards.  The FIRST thing people give up in recession is their vacations.  And we are looking at a rather large recession here shortly.  (I hope I am wrong)

Want to hear something really impressive?  Austin recently announced 3,000 jobs with Indeed (mostly software engineers).  A few weeks earlier, Austin announced 1,000 jobs at a new Home Depot Tech & Innovation Center.  

you're talking about the "W" aren't you, as in, we're currently in one...right?

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think his point was that, when things go wrong, construction jobs fly out the window... 

But that being said, if construction jobs ARE a leading industry, it is because the economy is good.   Based on my knowledge, constructions jobs have more or less consistently been strong in places like Chicago, Miami, and NYC and those cities are otherwise flourishing notwithstanding.

you're talking about the "W" aren't you, as in, we're currently in one...right?

That's a good question.  I really don't know if the economy is coming or going.  People seem pretty spooked by the tariffs.  I try not to pay attention to the daily ups-and-downs  too much.  It's not always easy though. 

• Like 1

Just now, I am Reality said:

That's a good question.  I really don't know if the economy is coming or going.  People seem pretty spooked by the tariffs.  I try not to pay attention to the daily ups-and-downs  too much.  It's not always easy though. 

Its obviously really complicated, and I don't know the right answer, but a lot of people are also really excited about the taxcuts, and especially companies, and spending tons and tons of money to celebrate. I think with the tariffs, other countries are really, really, really upset about what we're doing.... but, thats kind of the point of them, he wants better trade deals, he wants to put America first, including at the expense of other countries,even including our allies, who many of which also have the same protectionist policies and tariffs that the US is now implementing, especially China and the EU, so thats not entirely unexpected. Trump's also made it clear that these new tariffs he implemented are also ready to disappear over night in exchange for heavily reducing or eliminating tariffs on American products being imported into those other countries... thats part of why there's been so much daily news on it. Trump's trying to prove how great of a negotiator he is, and obviously if he's wrong in his methodology, it will be bad, possibly causing a worldwide recession, but if he's right, it will be absolutely great.

9 minutes ago, aent said:

Its obviously really complicated, and I don't know the right answer, but a lot of people are also really excited about the taxcuts, and especially companies, and spending tons and tons of money to celebrate. I think with the tariffs, other countries are really, really, really upset about what we're doing.... but, thats kind of the point of them, he wants better trade deals, he wants to put America first, including at the expense of other countries,even including our allies, who many of which also have the same protectionist policies and tariffs that the US is now implementing, especially China and the EU, so thats not entirely unexpected. Trump's also made it clear that these new tariffs he implemented are also ready to disappear over night in exchange for heavily reducing or eliminating tariffs on American products being imported into those other countries... thats part of why there's been so much daily news on it. Trump's trying to prove how great of a negotiator he is, and obviously if he's wrong in his methodology, it will be bad, possibly causing a worldwide recession, but if he's right, it will be absolutely great.

I am fairly agnostic on the tariffs.  I can't figure out what is real and what is just conjecture.   There seems to be a fair share of both.  Whether real or not, it's an interesting starting point for trade negotiations.  Leverage is super important, even when its is not used. 

Just now, I am Reality said:

I am fairly agnostic on the tariffs.  I can't figure out what is real and what is just conjecture.   There seems to be a fair share of both.  Whether real or not, it's an interesting starting point for trade negotiations.  Leverage is super important, even when its is not used. 

Agreed, its fairly impossible to figure out. Everything is moving very quickly on it, and when Trump makes a bad move and he (or rather his advisors) figure it out, I get the feeling the reaction is to make whatever deal he can ASAP, even if it is not really an improvement and nothing like what he was supposedly looking for... and still calling that "winning".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aent said:

Agreed, its fairly impossible to figure out. Everything is moving very quickly on it, and when Trump makes a bad move and he (or rather his advisors) figure it out, I get the feeling the reaction is to make whatever deal he can ASAP, even if it is not really an improvement and nothing like what he was supposedly looking for... and still calling that "winning".

LMAO!  We’re gonna be tired...from winning so much!  (Think Alec Baldwin...)

Seriously, though, I’ve heard we’re in a W, and that the bottom will fall out of the market within a couple of years or so...  I hope not.  But I don’t know enough about the financial system and how it works other than the fact that the central banks run everything, and they dictate market conditions.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Seriously, though, I’ve heard we’re in a W, and that the bottom will fall out of the market within a couple of years or so...  I hope not.  But I don’t know enough about the financial system and how it works other than the fact that the central banks run everything, and they dictate market conditions.

If I've learned one thing in life, its impossible to predict this stuff. If you're actually able to predict this with a 60-70% accuracy, you better start investing, you might be the next Warren Buffett lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I don’t know enough about the financial system and how it works other than the fact that the central banks run everything, and they dictate market conditions.

Everything you need to know about the financial system can be learned from the great & powerful Stuart Mackenzie from the 1993 classic So, I Married An Axe Murderer.

Stuart: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

You may ask yourself who is in this Pentavirate?

Stuart: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went t**s up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with his wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

You may ask yourself why does Stuart hate The Colonel?

Stuart: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Your opinion on the central banks is growing in popularity.  That's why a lot of people are getting into cryptocurrency.   I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but crypto seems to have gone mainstream.   (On a local note, the hottest crypto trading site -  Robinhood - has a nice satellite office in Lake Mary). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I am Reality said:

Your opinion on the central banks is growing in popularity.  That's why a lot of people are getting into cryptocurrency.   I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but crypto seems to have gone mainstream.   (On a local note, the hottest crypto trading site -  Robinhood - has a nice satellite office in Lake Mary). 

I know...it's sad, really.   

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Everything you need to know about the financial system can be learned from the great & powerful Stuart Mackenzie from the 1993 classic So, I Married An Axe Murderer.

Stuart: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

You may ask yourself who is in this Pentavirate?

Stuart: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went t**s up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with his wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

You may ask yourself why does Stuart hate The Colonel?

Stuart: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly!

the real rub on this is that this is mostly true and they package it in a comedic way (Col Sanders) to make it seem ludicrous.

A new area code is on its way to Central Florida: 689. No word yet if it will serve a specific geographical area or simply overlay the current 407 area code. 

Personally, I'd like to see Orange and Osceola keep 407 and let Seminole (and the smidgen of Volusia that's not 386) get the new one but for some reason no one ever asks me.

689 area code could be added to Central Florida
http://bit.ly/2tFWq3S

From the Sentinel

8 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I remember back when it was 305 across all of Central Florida, including Orange, Seminole and Brevard counties. Maybe a couple of others, too.

I wish we'd have kept it because I like those numbers better than 407. 

But 689 just plain sucks.

305 was roughly Orange and Brevard down the east coast to the Keys (roughly where you would find Jordan Marsh stores.)

813 was down the west coast (basically where you'd expect a Maas Bros.)

904 was Lake, Volusia and everything north.

Then about 1987, all heck broke loose until we ended up with 15 area codes or something in Florida.

Fun fact: they picked 321 for Brevard to remind people of countdowns at KSC; 386 is "FUN" to supposedly help Daytona tourism.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A new area code is on its way to Central Florida: 689. No word yet if it will serve a specific geographical area or simply overlay the current 407 area code. 

Personally, I'd like to see Orange and Osceola keep 407 and let Seminole (and the smidgen of Volusia that's not 386) get the new one but for some reason no one ever asks me.

689 area code could be added to Central Florida
http://bit.ly/2tFWq3S

From the Sentinel

This had been in the works for over a decade I remember hearing about it.  My understanding is the 321 people in the Orlando area (myself included) become 689.  321 stays on the coast for landlines and cell phones.

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I4 Ultimate 8 months behind schedule and suffering financial issues:

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/i-4-ultimate/2018/07/12/moody-s-downgrades-i-4-ultimate----what-this-means

From News 13

SunPass vendor woes known before contract ever signed:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/SunPass-is-a-mess-Florida-could-have-seen-it-coming-_169961974?template=amp

From the Tampa Bay Times

I guess this is how our governor runs Florida like a business.

Edited by spenser1058