Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I just got my "we didn't count your vote because we can't verify your identity" letter.   This despite me showing the poll worker my ID with my ballot.  I just had to fill out a few papers and give them a copy of my ID showing I'm a resident.  I hadn't had this come up voting since 2002 when I became eligible.

11 minutes ago, codypet said:

I just got my "we didn't count your vote because we can't verify your identity" letter.   This despite me showing the poll worker my ID with my ballot.  I just had to fill out a few papers and give them a copy of my ID showing I'm a resident.  I hadn't had this come up voting since 2002 when I became eligible.

I know it's a pain but I am glad they notified you instead of just not counting it. Some counties in Florida had mail-in ballots challenged because of the signatures (even the credit card companies now acknowledge signatures are ineffective for ID) and just discarded them without alerting the voters.

Well, we get to think about it for a year but replacing the water main under Summerlin from Marks St. to South St. is bound to be a nightmare once OUC decides to start.

OUC to replace water line underneath Summerlin, road scheduled to reopen next week
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-summerlin-water-line-20181030-story.html

From the Sentinel

It looks like it's gonna snow out...before it does, 

GO VOTE!

Early voting until 7pm tonight in OC or check with your local Supervisor of Elections.

CNBC reports the Kennedy School at Harvard is predicting a 40% turnout for voters 18-29. If it happens, that's one of the biggest youth votes in the midterms in ages. It's gonna be YUGE!

Today is "Souls To  the Polls" Sunday - the LAST day for EARLY VOTING.

Orange County locations open 9am-7pm 

(not all counties have early voting today- outside OC, check your county's Supervisor of Elections website)

Almost 4 million Floridians have voted already - don't miss out on your chance to make the Sunshine State and our country even better!

https://www.ocfelections.com/

GO VOTE!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the great features of the Orlando area is its amazing diversity. Folks from all over the world are visiting us and often moving here.

Importantly, it's important that our local governments reflect that diversity. Fortunately, women, African-Americans, Hispanics, LGBTQ, Asian-Americans and others are increasingly represented in elected and appointed positions, as well as leaders among several of our largest employers.

Mayor Buddy Dyer notes the recognition Orlando has recently received on the City's efforts to welcome everyone:

http://bit.ly/2Kdq4EK

From the Sentinel

Moving forward, it's going to be important to consider expanding the number of positions on both City and county commissions to achieve representation in our communities that fully represents the rainbow of groups that make up Central Florida.

Edited by spenser1058

As a transplant, I can say Orlando is a very, very welcoming community. There are a lot of good people here and a willingness to help newcomers and help everyone fit in together to make the whole thing better. I have enjoyed my time here in this city despite it being challenging personally to move and leave my friends and family!  

Thank you, Orlando (and UrbanPlanet)!

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And, perhaps most amazingly, Buddy is an Ivy League bubba from UF law school who achieved the highest score ever on the state bar and yet gets the idea of inclusiveness intuitively. Woohoo!

Oh, and while we're on mayoral bios, Teresa Jacobs was a trapeze artist in FSU's circus. Who knew?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-mayor-teresa-jacobs-end-of-term-20181116-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

This year's Florida Classic between FAMU and  B-CU attracted an announced attendance of 52,000, the highest since 2011.

We're just some college football fanaticshere in The City Beautiful!

Bethune-Cookman shuts down FAMU in Florida Classic, blocks Rattlers' shot at MEAC title
http://bit.ly/2DsKVlX

From the Sentinel

Ocoee officially to acknowlege the demons of its past and promote the healing and progress its citizens want to be its future:

Ocoee aims to shed past reputation as 'sundown' town
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-ocoee-massacre-proclamation-20181115-story.html

From the Sentinel

(Full disclosure: I'm proud to be related to Mayor Rusty Johnson.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Interesting stats: 54% of homes in Florida bought by foreign owners are in the MIA/FLL/WPB market. Orlando comes in a distant second at 9%. 

Those buying here are most likely to be from Brasil. 

Also, sales declined across the state in the past year.

Foreigners buy fewer Orlando-area homes
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-bz-foreign-home-buyers-20181120-story.html

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

It’s interesting to ponder all the various owners downtown’s Plaza Cinema Cafe has had over the dozen years or so it’s been open. Now it has another one.

By all accounts, it continues to do well in contrast to other similar urban theaters around the state. Also, this particular ownership change had nothing to do with the Orange Avenue location itself.

Instead, Birmingham based Cobb Theaters has become CMX after its acquisition by Mexican-based Cinemex.

Never a dull moment for perhaps Mayor Buddy Dyer’s greatest downtown retail accomplishment!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemex

• Like 1

The Census Bureau reports Orlando is in the top 5 for both domestic and international migration into the MSA:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-14/chicago-exodus-sees-city-shrink-by-156-daily-demographic-trends

From Bloomberg

Folks are still voting with their feet to get to The City Beautiful and surrounding areas.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, spenser1058 said:

It’s interesting to ponder all the various owners downtown’s Plaza Cinema Cafe has had over the dozen years or so it’s been open. Now it has another one.

By all accounts, it continues to do well in contrast to other similar urban theaters around the state. Also, this particular ownership change had nothing to do with the Orange Avenue location itself.

Instead, Birmingham based Cobb Theaters has become CMX after its acquisition by Mexican-based Cinemex.

Never a dull moment for perhaps Mayor Buddy Dyer’s greatest downtown retail accomplishment!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemex

Love it... Cine-MEX, not max. 

Well, damn, in Mexican companies are buying US companies, then why are so many people coming over the border?

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Love it... Cine-MEX, not max. 

Well, damn, in Mexican companies are buying US companies, then why are so many people coming over the border?

The little secret Republicans don’t tell you is that movement across the border (both ways) is as old as both republics. Most of the time, border legislators avoided including the southern border in legislation for most of those years because it was convenient. When workers were needed north of the border, they came across. Whenever it was decided they weren’t, they were sent (often ruthlessly) back south.

For most of that time, pesky things like human and civil rights were conveniently ignored. Once it became impossible to do so any more, the right had its latest wedge issue.

There’s absolutely nothing new about any of this except for the fact that the rule of law finally came into play.

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who has studied US history as it relates to Mexico but then folks on the internet rarely  have much interest in how things came to be.

On 12/20/2018 at 5:02 PM, spenser1058 said:

The little secret Republicans don’t tell you is that movement across the border (both ways) is as old as both republics. Most of the time, border legislators avoided including the southern border in legislation for most of those years because it was convenient. When workers were needed north of the border, they came across. Whenever it was decided they weren’t, they were sent (often ruthlessly) back south.

For most of that time, pesky things like human and civil rights were conveniently ignored. Once it became impossible to do so any more, the right had its latest wedge issue.

There’s absolutely nothing new about any of this except for the fact that the rule of law finally came into play.

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who has studied US history as it relates to Mexico but then folks on the internet rarely  have much interest in how things came to be.

Oh, c’mon, Spenser!  Dale’s comment was funny!

as for your post about this stuff...yeah, I can see that....

• Thanks 1