Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

You nut job :). I was going to use that when I wrote it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Thanks for the info scott! Is there any market type food in this new wine shop? Meats, cheese, etc? Or is it strictly booze? Just for the record either answer is good by me.

While we are talking about Bumby, anyone want to chip in a couple bucks so we can bring down the Winn Dixie as well?

I read just a few minutes ago that Winn Dixie is issuing a few million in new stock (and I could have sworn that they were still in bankruptcy protection) so maybe they will renovate it....hopefully.

The old Just for Feet will be a Total Wine & More --- I recently checked out the other new one on Dale Mabry in Tampa and it had a great wine, beer, and liquor selection - it should be a great addition to the area and some competition for ABC...

Also going into Colonial Plaza is a Super Suppers - a make your own meals place...

Now all they need to do is lease out the old Rhodes Furniture - my vote is for a Whole Foods and interestingly Weingarten own's Colonial Plaza - just like the new Sand Lake Road location - any other wishes???

Also - the Comfort Furniture will make way for an Atlantic Bank - and also a yet to be named restaurant (although when I checked the city approval it reports a drive thru is approved so we are probably looking at a fast food place).

Nice. I live right around the corner and have always wondered why there wasn't a liquor store any closer.

Thanks for the info.

there's still one on I-Drive near Mercado and I think another one. Disney Crossroads?

The best one was in Dr. Phillips, which was great for me when I lived on the Kirkman side of town. Are they still there? They used to have live Rainbow Trout and they were the first grocery store in the area to have fresh Sushi.

You nut job :). I was going to use that when I wrote it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Thanks for the info scott! Is there any market type food in this new wine shop? Meats, cheese, etc? Or is it strictly booze? Just for the record either answer is good by me.

While we are talking about Bumby, anyone want to chip in a couple bucks so we can bring down the Winn Dixie as well?

Thanks all --- some like buildings - some like retail!!! ;-) I too was thinking they might have meats and cheese --- but my journey to the Tampa store only found some wine glasses, cheese boards, etc. But otherwise - I think all will be happy about the beer, wine, and liquor selection - puts the ABC to shame...

Regarding Winn Dixie - you gotta hope someone else owns the land and they are gone when the lease is up -but we probably are not that lucky and we will have to wait for the next round of bankruptcy!

To get to game or show, parking may be tricky

Mark Schlueb {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted December 1, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

Only in the United States could people get so worked up about parking and/or having to walk a few blocks. I've never had any problems finding parking downtown, it's just free parking that is hard to find generally.

They need more parking that you can pay for with credit cards-if there is any at all now. I never have any change or cash when I need it...

Only in the United States could people get so worked up about parking and/or having to walk a few blocks. I've never had any problems finding parking downtown, it's just free parking that is hard to find generally.

They need more parking that you can pay for with credit cards-if there is any at all now. I never have any change or cash when I need it...

I completely agree with you! I've never had problems parking downtown not even when going to a magic game or bob carr. I may have had to walk a couple blocks but it was not hard.

And on friday and sat nights the suntrust garage pretty empty on the top floors. I didn't get that article this morning either.

By the time these things get built (trying not to say if) the under I-4 parking will be back, the Jefferson Garage will be open and if idea is that people don't want to walk, the Jefferson should soak up a lot of the Wall Street and northern end bar parkers, relieving the southern garages a little, do you think?

What are the economics of a parking garage? Would an entrepreneur go into parking?

By the time these things get built (trying not to say if) the under I-4 parking will be back, the Jefferson Garage will be open and if idea is that people don't want to walk, the Jefferson should soak up a lot of the Wall Street and northern end bar parkers, relieving the southern garages a little, do you think?

What are the economics of a parking garage? Would an entrepreneur go into parking?

Not when free parking and low cost parking is subsidized by the city.

$5 a night, right? A dollar an hour or so at the meters? You can't compete with that.

Obviously some developers have provided extra paid parking but so far not just a parking garage. Funny how the city seems to want to own that market downtown.

Am I to assume the CNL parking garage or the Citrus Center/Signature Plaza/ Lincoln Plaza parking garages will not accomodate these people during non-business hours?

Aren't those garages similar to Suntrust, where workers and non-workers park but have to pay to do so?

I would believe that there is ample parking in those areas unless it is not allowed after business hours

To some extent, I hope parking does turn out to be a problem...as long as the commuter rail line is in place by that point. The Church Street corridor will absolutely explode if people start taking the train to everything going on at the PAC and events center. Something is going to need to help jumpstart ridership. The quicker that happens, the quicker the lines will expand, and the more practical the system will become (i.e. reaching more lower-class parts of town - the people who can and will benifit most from efficient public transit...but that's a whole other argument.)

I just hope leaders figure out how to get everything to line up/happen at the same time. Just the sort of perfect storm we need.

Edited by uncreativeusername

If the Parliament House can organize a parking shuttle from the Citrus Bowl on its special event nights, then I really don't think that would be an unrealistic plan on game/concert nights if it comes down to it... A few Lymmo buses would do the trick...

Of course I also agree that leaving the car in the burbs and taking the commuter rail in is the best course of action ;)

Anyone have any idea how well these condo's are selling?

OMG, i just read the article and it says 12 towers, umm where is the traffic going to go??? I think that is insane. The I-4/436 interchange will never handle this much traffic that is going to be generated along with all the uptown shops. I have seen the plan for fixing the interchange and its not pretty, it involves double-decking 436 over I4 and they told me it wont do much. :rofl:

OMG, i just read the article and it says 12 towers, umm where is the traffic going to go??? I think that is insane. The I-4/436 interchange will never handle this much traffic that is going to be generated along with all the uptown shops. I have seen the plan for fixing the interchange and its not pretty, it involves double-decking 436 over I4 and they told me it wont do much. :rofl:

where did you see those palns, and if you have access to a pic, can you post it?

436-- it has to be torn down anyway, b/c the spans are too narrow to allow I-4 to be widened.

Emerson-- yeah, their plans call for buku towers; but they've got Central Parkway which crosses I-4 for access as well. I said it once before, that they must make an interchange for Central Parkway-- maybe make it to where the exit ramps merge directly into the center of I-4, kind of like a few interchanges in Broward that do the same at I-95.

where did you see those palns, and if you have access to a pic, can you post it?

436-- it has to be torn down anyway, b/c the spans are too narrow to allow I-4 to be widened.

Emerson-- yeah, their plans call for buku towers; but they've got Central Parkway which crosses I-4 for access as well. I said it once before, that they must make an interchange for Central Parkway-- maybe make it to where the exit ramps merge directly into the center of I-4, kind of like a few interchanges in Broward that do the same at I-95.

I would tend to agree but they like a minimum of 1 mile between interchanges. That would be too close to 434 & 436 both. Maybe they could do some combined exit for CP and 436 kind of like 50 and Ivanhoe exits off I-4 WB.

I would tend to agree but they like a minimum of 1 mile between interchanges. That would be too close to 434 & 436 both. Maybe they could do some combined exit for CP and 436 kind of like 50 and Ivanhoe exits off I-4 WB.

true, also like 46 and 417 in Seminole County. I don't know where they came up with that rule of 1 mile; they would have to make an exception here-- maybe do it like you said. It's 436 for cripe's sake. its the busiest road and the only exit in that area. it's not enough.

Airport considers business overhaul

Airline woes prompt push for new setup

Beth Kassab {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted December 7, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

From Orlando Sentinel

Downtown sites still in running for EA Tiburon

Insiders say it's 99 percent certain that EA Tiburon, the Electronic Arts Inc. studio based in Maitland, will move to downtown Orlando. It's just a matter of where. EA is being courted by two locations: the first is at Orange Avenue and Livingston Street near the county courthouse; the second is at the CNL Financial Group property across from City Hall. The city reportedly is pushing the Orange Avenue location with an incentive package targeted to the site.