Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

From Orlando Sentinel

Downtown sites still in running for EA Tiburon

Insiders say it's 99 percent certain that EA Tiburon, the Electronic Arts Inc. studio based in Maitland, will move to downtown Orlando. It's just a matter of where. EA is being courted by two locations: the first is at Orange Avenue and Livingston Street near the county courthouse; the second is at the CNL Financial Group property across from City Hall. The city reportedly is pushing the Orange Avenue location with an incentive package targeted to the site.

I'm pretty sure that the incentive from the city is for EA to come downtown period.

According to Globe Street HardRock was just purchased.

Last updated: December 7, 2006 10:25am

Hard Rock Trading Hands for $965M

By Ian Ritter

Hard Rock, Scotland(Ian Ritter is national online editor for GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.)

HOLLYWOOD, FL-The locally based Seminole Tribe of Florida is buying the Hard Rock caf

Also - the Comfort Furniture will make way for an Atlantic Bank - and also a yet to be named restaurant (although when I checked the city approval it reports a drive thru is approved so we are probably looking at a fast food place).

Going to be a Panda Express

From Yesterday's Sentinal

Paving the way toward a very crowded future

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom...-home-headlines

seems like we will be the population size of California here in not to long

I think this article shows the necesity for smart growth, and the need to redifine our urban centers. I'm still a very large advocate for density and a move away from our vast endless stretchs of suburbia.

All the same, I look forward to central florida becomming the center focus of florida, as this article suggest

Aren't most "very large" cities built because there is water there or some other "natural" phenomenon? I know there are exceptions, but I keep trying to figure out why the Orlando metro is getting so big so fast. Are the theme parks REALLY that big of a deal?

Exactly WHAT makes people like this place enough to move to it?

Aren't most "very large" cities built because there is water there or some other "natural" phenomenon? I know there are exceptions, but I keep trying to figure out why the Orlando metro is getting so big so fast. Are the theme parks REALLY that big of a deal?

Exactly WHAT makes people like this place enough to move to it?

Hazards guess...

I think the largest reason is because New Yorkers are fed up with New York. It's too expensive and too darned cold. At least that's what they all tell me, all my co-workers are New Yorkers! :w00t:

Theme parks sure don't hurt.

No state income tax (but give it time, I'm sure they'll wise up)

I think the largest reason is because New Yorkers are fed up with New York. It's too expensive and too darned cold. At least that's what they all tell me, all my co-workers are New Yorkers! :w00t:

Ironically -- I moved here from Manhattan.. :unsure:

(and for those exact two reasons)...

I am so typical I feel dirty... :P

No state income tax (but give it time, I'm sure they'll wise up)

Are you actually implying income taxes are a good thing? The reason why people are moving to FL, TX, TN is because thoes states don't have an income tax. Before 1913 there was no income tax. Even in the 50's the average American paid 2% of his income in taxes and we had the highest standard of living in the world. Now the average American pays upwards of 30% of his or hers income in taxes and we now have the 8th highest standard of living in the world. The lower the taxes the more people will spend and invest which will help the economy not only in Orlando, FL but all over the nation. The best alternative is to only tax what is spent but I won't get in to that.

Edited by Violindude

Are you actually implying income taxes are a good thing? The reason why people are moving to FL, TX, TN is because thoes states don't have an income tax. Before 1913 there was no income tax. Even in the 50's the average American paid 2% of his income in taxes and we had the highest standard of living in the world. Now the average American pays upwards of 30% of his or hers income in taxes and we now have the 8th highest standard of living in the world. The lower the taxes the more people will spend and invest which will help the economy not only in Orlando, FL but all over the nation. The best alternative is to only tax what is spent but I won't get in to that.

I was being sarcastic! You don't have to try to win me on this, I agree with you. I'm just wondering how long it will be before the state "wises up" so to speak and gets in on the action. But I don't want to start a virtual forum-battle about this, so I'm puttin this hot potato down and slowly backing off.... :silly:

I love this emoticon! I think I'll do it again :silly:

I agree. If we could only get rid of that liberal we have now. 2009 just can't come fast enough for me.

Middle of somewhere

It's a new world between Orlando, Tampa

As his hot-air balloon rises above the bustling interstate below, Kermit Weeks squints to see the morning sun peek over Orlando. Technically, the city is 40 miles away. In reality, it's getting closer all the time.

The entrepreneur welcomes mushrooming development along the Interstate 4 corridor where he built his Fantasy of Flight aviation-themed history attraction just a decade ago.

Surrounded by old orange groves, Weeks, 53, saw a future with the location midway between Orlando and Tampa and planted the sign along the interstate: Future Site of Downtown Orlampa.

Read More at OrlandoSentinel.com

I'll bite.

Yes taxes are a good thing. Taxes pay for everything we use that we can't afford to build ourselves, and to provide services we need, i.e. police and garbage and schools and such, blah blah blah...

But there is really not much point in responding when we're not starting from a ...uh, 'factual basis'.

In 1950 we had 'just' finished fighting a huge world war. We were still paying down the debt from this. The national debt reached an all time high of about 120% of the GDP in 1947, and it went steadily down from that point up until Regan became president. Of course the actual debt went up, for the most part, but until Regan it did not increase as fast as the economy expanded.

Now I would like to know how, since we didn't have Mr. Bush in office at the time who is apparently able to perform such budgetary magic, were were able to reduce our debt while not making people pay more than 2% of their income in taxes?

Answer: We didn't. Tax rates varied from 17.4% for the bottom income bracket (0-4000$) to a whopping 84.357% for those in the top bracket (>400,000$)

Source: Tax Policy Center

Now we're fighting another war, actually more like 2 to be fair, and our tax rate is no more than 35%-and the bracket has been moved to only $312,000!

Now the traditional argument against higher taxes is it will 'stifle innovation' or 'cut investment', like people don't want to even try and make money or start businesses or invent things when they have to pay more of their income to the government. Yet I would argue that the very high rates during the '50's didn't have much of an impact to the many corporations and businessmen and inventors that were working very hard during this period, instead of complaining incessantly about how the tax system in this land of plenty is 'unfair'.

I must have missed something. Since when was it 'fair' to mortgage our children's future so we can have a few extra bucks to spend now?

hmmn, I will shoot. It is completely unfair to mortgage our children's future so we can take part of an war that we have no business in. If it is the will of the people of the U.S. to use our military strength to fight two wars, so be it. But I rather cut other services instead of increasing the overall tax rate. You cannot cut taxes while increasing spending. Well I thought you could not until I met a President that does not know the meaning of Veto.

hmmm political chats are dangerous

heh I see a whole lotta poeple getting mad at each other on here very soon

I got a little flustered up when I read a few pro tax arguments but I decided my origonal response was out of place and the next one I was planning was as well. I think I might actually create a thread in the Orlando coffee shop about this very subject. Back to Orlando headlines!