Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Same silly a$$ hole in the roof. Do they think this is some sort of Cowboys signature. Joe Bob says thumbs down!

They were the only stadium in 1973 to try a retractable roof. The funding kept it from happening at the time (I believe that is the historical excuse). The new stadium will have a fully retractable roof. They will have the ability to close it for rain or snow, which is not completely original now (30+ years later).

I was under the impression the sheer size and design of the new arena would make it the biggest in the league if not the whole country

Is that right?

I would hope so

I think the magic deserve something like that

perhaps if the magic do well enough this year it will help out the arena in terms of completion date and funding much like the UCF's 2005 season did for their stadium

so who has the largest?

I know Chicago Stadium is up there on that list.

stats are interesting, you know. It's like the OCCC. McCormick Place has 2.2M of expo space. we have 2M, but our gross square feet make OCCC larger, which includes the meeting rooms as well. OCCC even has a larger footprint than McCormick; I checked. ORL represent.

... I think the magic deserve something like that

perhaps if the magic

I just think that this wording itself is inflamatory to some. This wording boils some people. I don't think we are building an arena for the Magic any more than we are building the PAC for the off broadway shows to have a place to perform. The Magic get what they deserve. We are building these venues because the Magic fans, Arena or regular football fans, classic orchestra fans, broadway play fans, (a.k.a. citizens ) ... those who go to shows, concerts, games, tractor pulls ... deserve 1) a nice venue to see these events in, 2) the ability to attract these events, and 3) the ability to attact relocating corportations who want cultural activities. We the citizens of Orlando and/or Orange county DESERVE more than old facilities that smell like piss.

God forbid someone who provides these also make a profit. Do we not pave roads because a paver might make a profit, do we not build airports because the airline might make a profit?

hmmm welll put

heh perhaps my wording was off a tish

in all fairness I wrote that in 3 in the morning, and was not quite awake or properly functioning

I retract my statement

no need to pull a John Cleese to Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda. The longer you're on these boards, the more you'll get used to everybody's personality type.

Cwetteland is right, of course; these projects build up our clout and attractiveness to new co's looking to open up shop.

Devil Rays to play area's first-ever regular season games at Disney

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays will host the Texas Rangers for three regular season games at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex -- the first-ever regular season Major League Baseball games played in Central Florida.

The May 15-17 matchups are subject to the approval of the St. Petersburg City Council.

"We see this as an exciting opportunity to establish a relationship with the world's premier entertainment company, enhance our presence and grow our fan base in Central Florida," said Rays President Matt Silverman, in a written release.

Tickets will go on sale Feb. 17 at Ticketmaster outlets and via the Devil Rays official Web site at www.devilrays.com.

Anyone attending the games in Orlando will receive a voucher for a ticket to one of the remaining weekend games at Tropicana Field next season. Season ticketholders will be offered the choice of comparable seats at the Disney ballpark or a refund for the three games. If they choose to attend the games at Disney, they will be offered additional perks, including preferred parking, free Walt Disney World theme park tickets and discounted hotel rates.

Orlando Business Journal

What do you think about the Devil Rays playing in Orlando?

Feeling out the market for a possible move? I thought they signed a contract with St. Pete that keeps them from moving for 30 years???

Staking a claim on Orlando, so Orlando could never have their own MLB team???

Deperately trying to expand their fan base?

or

Baseball twisting their arm to play a couple games in Orlando to gauge interest for a new market?

My guess is staking a claim on the Orlando area.

Orlando Reveals New Marketing Slogan

City Begins $68M Ad Campaign

POSTED: 2:04 pm EST December 15, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- One of the world's largest tourist destinations is starting a $68 million advertising campaign to combat recent downturns in visitor numbers and marketing efforts by ambitious competitors.

The theme-park capital's national television, print and billboard campaign -- the largest in the region's history -- was detailed Friday by the Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau Inc. For the first time, the area will advertise on national television and with Hispanic and black media outlets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do they not considering last year a few major hurricances actually push the hotel occupanyc to new high...and this year has been quiet..of course the occupancy will be down.

Orlando's new slogan?...

"Orlando: Chances are still pretty good that you won't be robbed, beaten or murdered if you lock yourself inside your hotel room and don't answer the door for anyone."

I think Orlando's new slogan should be something like: "Orlando: where you can still get laid w/o having to lose your @ss gambling!" Or should that be Tampa's slogan?

I think Orlando's new slogan should be something like: "Orlando: where you can still get laid w/o having to lose your @ss gambling!" Or should that be Tampa's slogan?

Given the way the puritanical Dudley Do-Rights of the MBI go after the local strip clubs, I would say it doesn't sound all that representative of our fair city.