Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I think it would contribute more to the city being downtown--- however seeing as it's Ripley's and this is Orlando, it may just go on I-Drive. Though, that would place it *very* close to SeaWorld Orlando. It's hard to say where they might put it--- as the other two are in Gatlinburg and Myrtle Beach. Both tourist areas.

I agree with it being placed near the Science Center or visible from off I-4 near/in downtown.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

Disney Road Paves Way to Skip I-4, Enter Park

Walt Disney World is quietly building a new road onto its property that could siphon thousands of tourists a day off Interstate 4.

The route would take visitors driving down the Interstate 75/Florida's Turnpike corridor into Disney from State Road 429, the Western Beltway toll road being built through western Orange County...

Edited by depechecureguyorl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Buyers flee farther for affordable homes

But rural or suburban homeowners may have to trade off more than they bargained for, experts say

Kelly Griffith | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted October 12, 2005

LAKE WALES -- Once upon a time, communities such as Clermont, DeLand and Poinciana were considered perfect places to escape the big city while getting more house for the buck.

Now, thanks to skyrocketing house prices, buyers seeking tranquillity at an affordable price are having to head farther afield to towns such as Polk City and Mascotte.

from Sentinel

• 4 weeks later...

HUGHS CONSIDERING TAKE-OVER BID

This was mentioned in the Wednesday edition of the Orlando Sentinal. Stock market experts are saying they believe Home Depot has made a take-over bid. If Hughs were to accecpt they are expecting them to move their corporate office to Atlanta.

I don't know how to post links, so if someone wants to do that please do.

HUGHS CONSIDERING TAKE-OVER BID

This was mentioned in the Wednesday edition of the Orlando Sentinal. Stock market experts are saying they believe Home Depot has made a take-over bid. If Hughs were to accecpt they are expecting them to move their corporate office to Atlanta.

I don't know how to post links, so if someone wants to do that please do.

I wouldn't have expected this. Not two weeks ago Hughes was wringing its hands because it didn't have enough space downtown.

From 11/7/05 Orlando Business Journal

More mixed-use headed downtown

Get ready for more construction cranes downtown -- and more mixed-use development.

Highwoods Properties plans to build a 175,000-square-foot office tower as part of its planned Capital Plaza III at the southeast corner of Rosalind Avenue and Pine Street, according to the latest report from Orlando's Downtown Development Board.

The proposed $100 million mixed-use development also would include 120 residential condos, a 130-room hotel and 12,000-15,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. In addition, Highwoods plans to build a parking garage next to three mixed-use buildings. The report doesn't include a start or completion date for that project.

Highwoods execs aren't talking, though. "We're still in the planning process," says Mike Beale, senior vice president of Highwoods in Orlando. "And we have made no formal submissions to the city."

Let's see. CNL II and The Plaza would be what, around 700K ? Then Capital Plaza 175K, not to mention the Palm Beach Land Trust which could be well over 500K. Then throw in Dynetech, as well as portions of other mixed-use projects which are office space...and I bet we'll still be number one in the state.

But even if we were close to Miami, it would be remarkable, no ?

Let's see. CNL II and The Plaza would be what, around 700K ? Then Capital Plaza 175K, not to mention the Palm Beach Land Trust which could be well over 500K. Then throw in Dynetech, as well as portions of other mixed-use projects which are office space...and I bet we'll still be number one in the state.

But even if we were close to Miami, it would be remarkable, no ?

Absolutely, especially when you take into account office space per population. What is the current existing office space in each of these two downtowns, anyone know?

10.02 million?Do u mean 1.2 millions? I doubt it.

Downtown Miami has heck a lot more builginds than us if they only have only 2 more millions more than us.

That's what www.downtownorlando.com says ... 'downtown at a glance'.

You have to remember that Miami CBD has, I believe, the lowest percentage of office space of any major metro.