Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

That's what I was thinking. I know for sure there is already a Kohl's and a theatre.

the Penny's and Belk surprised me also. I didn't know they were still building those. another cinema too? I'm not complaining... I just don't get it. THe website has a link to Wilder and from there, the Loop West has its own link; I couldn't get it to work though.

The Rialto is big news for Dr. Phillips area.

I *think* that the street there on the backside of Kohl's, the theatre, etc. is Thacker Ave., though it doesn't actually connect to "South" Thacker which runs north-south, roughly longitudinally, down by Columbia Ave and 192. So, when they say it's at the corner of Thacker and Osceola, I think that's where it comes into play. Dyer is the street, newly extended, a little farther down Osceola Pkwy. towards the toll booth. It sounds to me like this "new" Loop (West) is going to go in there, north of Osceola, between the Dyer extension and the existing Loop.

It also sounds to me like they're quoting all these stores, which are actually a part of the existing Loop, in addition to new ones that will be a part of the "new" Loop (West). In the end, I guess, it will all be one big center?

Thanks for trying to make sense of this. You are probably right on.

Is CNL close to F500?

As of 2006, they aren't even in the top 1000. There is an article in the Sentinel today that shows CNL Hotels being acquired by Morgan Stanley for 6.6 billion, but how much of that will go towards paying off what they owed on that I don't know. If that 6.6 billion counts towards their revenue, they will definitely be in the 500 next year (April). I'm not sure if they are't there though, because CNL is made up of lots of entities.

As of 2006, they aren't even in the top 1000. There is an article in the Sentinel today that shows CNL Hotels being acquired by Morgan Stanley for 6.6 billion, but how much of that will go towards paying off what they owed on that I don't know. If that 6.6 billion counts towards their revenue, they will definitely be in the 500 next year (April). I'm not sure if they are't there though, because CNL is made up of lots of entities.

I thought CNL just bought Six Flags the other day?

Big slowdown snags region's condo sales

Jack Snyder {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted January 21, 2007

Chuck and Grace Field put their southwest Orlando condominium on the market back in August. Initial asking price: $250,000. Later, they cut the price to $225,000. Now, after months of "no serious offers," Chuck Field says, their pitch is: "No kidding. Make us an offer."

The slowdown in Central Florida's residential real estate is affecting all types of home sales. The local home-builders association is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars this month on a campaign to spur consumer interest, while both the inventory of existing homes and the average time needed to sell one doubled last year.

...more at Orlando Sentinel

...I guess we should enjoy these cranes while we can. In the long-term I see the downtown condo market as being relatively protected, as it's a completely different product than condos across the rest of the metro. For the time being, however, I think a slowdown is inevitable until the current U/C projects are completed, the market equalizes to a price point at which vacancy drops, and full-time residents and services start to flood downtown.

Edited by uncreativeusername

Myregion.org narrows options for area's growth

The planning group presents its findings this week in 5 television programs.

Kevin Spear {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted January 22, 2007

Central Florida best can deal with monstrous growth by: a) devoting its resources to protecting green space; b) concentrating on a highly efficient transportation network; c) combating development sprawl.

Or d) keeping current priorities.

Those are the four choices, according to a civic group directed by business, government and academic leaders, for how Central Florida might take shape during the next half-century. Later this week, area residents will get a chance to rank those options via online choices.

The organization, myregion.org, launched a campaign last year to tap into the worries and wishes of residents who will bear the brunt or benefits of a local population predicted to double to more than 7 million by 2050.

Efforts by myregion.org have included dozens of community gatherings and dialogue with about 9,000 people in Central Florida. Participants in those meetings were asked to indicate where they think growth should and should not occur and to discuss their choices at length.

That work has been boiled down to the four possible priorities for Central Florida's future -- green-space preservation, a remade transportation network, compact urban space and no changes in managing growth.

Drawing from the participation of those residents and professional research, myregion.org drew maps to show how each priority might reshape the face of the region.

To help bring more people up to speed on the effort, WMFE-TV Channel 24 will broadcast episodes at 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, detailing the region's challenges and opportunities.

Today, the station will look at "doom and gloom" forecasts. Tuesday's episode will detail "centers of growth" strategies for preventing sprawl. Wednesday will examine what it takes to protect green spaces, and transportation challenges will be the topic Thursday. Each of the four episodes will last an hour.

Friday's episode will be a 90-minute live broadcast about all four growth scenarios, with maps and a panel of experts and studio audience to discuss them. Viewers then can express their preferences at www.myregion.org.

Also airing information and analysis regularly through the week will be WMFE's radio station, 90.7 FM, and CBS affiliate WKMG Channel 6.

The opportunity to rank growth possibilities ends Feb. 14. But that won't stop the "How Shall We Grow?" campaign by myregion.org.

Later in the year, the group will develop strategies for persuading business, political and other leaders to adopt the growth scenario chosen by residents.

For more information about the project, go to www.myregion.org or call 407-835-2444.

Link

A plus for Orlando

Our position: The state is running out of reasons not to approve Nemours.

For the sake of their health, let's hope the words state regulators are eating over their criticism of the Nemours Foundation's vow to build a top-tier children's hospital in Orlando aren't fried in trans fat.

When the Agency for Health Care Administration denied Nemours' application filed last October, regulators wrote they doubted Nemours could come through on that promise, given that its flagship hospital in Delaware wasn't ranked among the nation's best children's hospitals. Well, regulators can strike that concern off their list, given that Child magazine ranked Nemours' Alfred I. duPont Children's Hospital in Delaware among the top 40 children's hospitals in the United States.

Read more at OrlandoSentinel.com

SENTINEL EXCLUSIVE

Pearlman's money woes follow him downtown

Pedro Ruz Gutierrez {sodEmoji.|} April Huntand Erin Ailworth, Sentinel Staff Writers

Posted January 28, 2007

A series of multimillion-dollar lawsuits against boy-band entrepreneur Louis J. Pearlman has reached the front doorstep of his Trans Continental empire, once seen as the spark that could revitalize downtown Orlando's Church Street Station.

But now creditors and investors across the country are chasing Pearlman, leading one attorney to describe him as having sunk from a rags-to-riches Horatio Alger character to an apparent Ponzi-scheme operator.

Three of his most recent lawsuits involve financial institutions that have filed foreclosures against the pop impresario, his airline and his Orlando property-management company, F.F. Station LLC.

One suit, by Bank of America, seeks to foreclose on Pearlman's Church Street complex that is home to several of his companies.

For entire article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-mpearlm...mostemailedlink