Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

New Orlando tourism ads begin airing today

posted by bkassab on Jan 29, 2007 11:53:52 AM

Discuss This: Comments (0) {sodEmoji.|} TrackBack (0) {sodEmoji.|} Linking Blogs {sodEmoji.|} Add to del.icio.us {sodEmoji.|} Digg it

Two 30-second television spots touting Orlando as a vacation destination begin airing on cable television today. The ads will make their network television debut next week.

The commercials by WestWayne, an ad firm with offices in Tampa and Orlando, are the product of a $68 million campaign funded by an increase in Orange County's Tourist Development Tax.

With the "Built for families. Made for memories" slogan, the commercials are aimed as convincing moms that Orlando is the place for their families to bond and reconnect.

We're working to post the ads here for viewing so you can let us know what you think. Check back later for more details.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_...rlando_tou.html

Downtown Developer Wants Pearlman's Properties

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A developer in downtown Orlando said he wants to buy all of the Church Street property owned by boy-band mogul Lou Pearlman.

The big question is: Is Pearlman selling?

Pearlman is said to be traveling in Europe and unavailable for comment on a string of lawsuits from at least five banks and other creditors, who are seeking more than $100 million.

One of those banks is trying to foreclose on the Church Street properties that house his headquarters, WESH 2 News reported.

Work is under way to bring a new martini bar to an old saloon. That's a bright spot in an otherwise cloudy future for the former Church Street Station.

Owners of about a dozen businesses there, including restaurants and a wine bar, said they are losing hope that the empty spaces around them will be filled by property owner and music promoter Pearlman.

Link to rest of article

FYI-OUC is running further behind than ever on new electrical service-currently they are requesting that you submit requests for new service 46 weeks in advance of needing power. They blame equipment shortages on growth in China and India.

Edited by neon9

FYI-OUC is running further behind than ever on new electrical service-currently they are requesting that you submit requests for new service 46 weeks in advance of needing power. They blame equipment shortages on growth in China and India.

Are you serious? New construction, only... Or so I assume?

What did it USED to be?

Are you serious? New construction, only... Or so I assume?

What did it USED to be?

Yep. Probably applies more to commercial or other development with heavy load requirements-apparently they can't get enough transformers and wire.

I remember them sending out a very similar letter about a year ago saying the wait was 24-30 weeks. Hard to say what is normal anymore-Seems like 6-12 weeks is/was standard in the past.

everyone here should go to www.colliers.com to see the market reports for 2004, 2005, and 2006 which show Orlando's downtown office space is clearly way more than Tampa's, even with projects that are under construction. the latest I think is Q3 2006 for both regions.

why can't I get the link to become a link?

Edited by JRS1

everyone here should go to www.colliers.com to see the market reports for 2004, 2005, and 2006 which show Orlando's downtown office space is clearly way more than Tampa's, even with projects that are under construction. the latest I think is Q3 2006 for both regions.

why can't I get the link to become a link?

Are those Tampa forumers over at SSC acting up again?

Church Street Station poised for resurgence

As its owner faces legal trouble, several developers are sizing up the site.

Church Street Station, once one of the state's biggest tourist attractions, has been a shadow of its former self for more than a decade now, fading away under a succession of owners.

When Lou Pearlman bought the complex in 2002, he promised to bring renewed glory, but that has been slow in coming. Now, as Pearlman faces a string of troubles that threaten to sink his career, Church Street could finally be poised to make a comeback.

Developers and others have revealed a renewed interest in the former entertainment complex, thanks to an ongoing revitalization of the area surrounding it in downtown Orlando.

"I have had a great interest in that property for a long time," said Cameron Kuhn, a longtime developer who is about to complete The Plaza -- the biggest redevelopment project in downtown history -- about a half block east of Church Street Station.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

I am actually hoping that Lou loses this property, and someone with experience in urban development takes over. From the start, his Church Street revitalization efforts haven't met expectations. I remember the city becoming on the verge of pulling his incentives because he was so behind on construction, and that was only the beginning.

Lou is a shady business man anyway. DEFINATELY not the man that should be in charge of one of the most prized properties in downtown orlando.

ACLU plans downtown office

Posted February 13, 2007

ORLANDO -- -The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida announced that it will open a new Central Florida Regional Office near downtown Orlando. Leading the ACLU's efforts in Central Florida will be newly appointed regional director Glenn Katon.

Nemours announced it will try again

The Nemours Foundation, whose first two applications to build a children's hospital in Orlando were turned down by the state, is trying again.

It notified the state Monday it will file applications next month to build a children's hospital, which will include two neonatal intensive-care units.

The proposed children's hospital will have as many as 120 acute-care beds, and the Level II and Level III NICU units will have as many as 25 beds between them.

OrlandoSentinel.com

Developers eligible for $6.9M to build affordable homes in Florida

Orlando Business Journal - February 6, 2007

Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed

Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta announced Tuesday it will award $6.9 million in grants and subsidies to developers in Florida for affordable housing projects.

Orange and Lake counties are the two Central Florida communities among 16 across the state selected to receive the funds, which are part of the second round of the bank's 2006 Affordable Housing Program. Money will be available for local community developers to build or repair 669 units in the selected communities.

The bank is one 12 district banks in the Federal Home Loan Bank System, providing low-cost financing, community development grants and other financial services to about 1,200 financial institutions in seven states and the District of Columbia.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/sto...ml?surround=lfn

only $10! shall we all buy burton's? it's an interesting concept!

It takes a bar-going village

I really wasn't expecting anything after last week's rant about Thornton Park's Burton's. Not to say I don't expect anything from you, but really, the purpose was to get something off my chest and make you guys think a bit.

Imagine my surprise when I opened my e-mail Monday morning to find a message from Vincent Petrine with the subject line: Wanna Buy Burton's?

Petrine's idea: If everyone in town threw in at least $10, they could make Burton's a co-op owned by the people of Orlando and preserve the bar. Petrine is willing to put his money where his mouth is and offered $1,000 toward the cause. He's hoping people will spread the word and hopefully do "whatever you can afford to keep Burton's Burton's."

Right on, Vincent! Finally, someone who's willing to stand up, do something and try to keep what little history we have in this town. I wish you luck, my friend, and for anyone who would like to get in on Petrine's idea, e-mail or call me and I'll get you in touch with him.

Kelly Fitzpatrick can be reached at 407-420-5710.

[email protected]

http://orlandocitybeat.metromix.com/bars-a...0,430216.column