Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

New Yorkers will get slice of sunny Orlando

Beth Kassab {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted February 15, 2007

Toys R Us Time square, New York City

(sorry about the blurry cam-phone photo)

sdfaslg4.jpg

With temperatures forecast below 20 degrees in New York today, local tourism promoters are planning to build a mini-Orlando in the big city's Times Square.

A heated cabana with live alligators, penguins and jousting knights set up on a stretch of land near Toys "R" Us is the latest publicity move by the Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau.

The stunt is part of the visitors bureau's new two-year, $68 million ad campaign: "Built for families. Made for memories."

"It's kind of ironic that on one of the coldest days of the year, we're going to be bringing them a slice of sunshine," said Danielle Courtenay, visitors bureau spokeswoman.

MORE

DOWNTOWN OFFICE SPACE: ORLANDO VS. TAMPA BAY-- Time to put things is perspective.

I posted the www.colliers.com link last week here. I did some number crunching. People should know the truth about Orlando vs. Tampa Bay. You all may not know this, but when you compare downtowns for total office space (square feet, A, B,C), as of Q4 2006:

*Orlando: 11,007,382

Tampa: 7,860,109

Now, people on a competing site didn't like the fact that the Orlando geographic area for DT was expanded (Kaley to OBT to Mills to FH South). So, if we add St. Pete's downtown numbers to Tampa's (3,669,073 sq. ft.), we get:

Orlando: 11,007,382

*Tampa/St.Pete: 11,529,182

Did you all read that? Tampa's DT and St. Pete's DT combined only have 500,000 square feet more than Orlando's downtown. Orlando pretty much holds it's own here too, considering it's going up against TWO downtowns.

As for Class "A" Office Space (not B & C) between Orlando DT and Tampa DT (no St. Pete numbers)

*Orlando: 5,316,000

Tampa: 5,265,000

They have a taller height limit, yet Orlando has more Class "A" downtown.

As for Under Construction (U/C) as of Q4 2006:

*Orlando: 220,000

Tampa/St. Pete: 164,786

Wow. THere is still more office-activity in downtown Orlando than in BOTH, Tampa and St. Pete downtown. Hear that, Mickey? Downtown ORL is stealing your thunder.

Edited by JRS1

DT O-Town has more then 11 million. But it depends on what you consider to count. If you include all space, medical, condos and government etc., it is closer ti 14-15 million. And that does not include OBT or Kaley.

I'm not sure whether govt. and medical is already included in the Colliers study.

Here's more:

Suburban numbers (excluding the CBD's of ORL, Tampa, and St. P):

Orlando: 43,590,000

*Tampa: 59,849,536

Suburban numbers (excluding the CBD's of ORL, Tampa, and St. P): UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

*Orlando: 1,726,000

Tampa: 1,107,056

Edited by JRS1

OK. That's great. Whether Orlando or Tampa has more, it apparently seems to be debatable by both sides. Orlando will be passing Tampa regardless.

Now, where is Miami and then Jville as well?

Why does this matter? I see these comparisons in other forums of which I a member. I just don't get the point of a 'competition'.

Why does this matter? I see these comparisons in other forums of which I a member. I just don't get the point of a 'competition'.

Yeah, numbers are pretty arbitrary. It's what it feels like when you're there that really counts. And that's enough to keep me liking the direction our downtown is headed in...

There's no competition. Real estate is unique; we all know that.

Making a direct comparison to another city helps put some of these numbers into perspective.

Now, I chose Tampa b/c it's nearby and most Tampa forumers feel that Orlando doesn't measure up. The facts state otherwise. Maybe this should be in the Florida subforum.

I just think it is helpful to know these statistics.

As for Bulldogger's query: These are all CBD's w/variations:

Miami CBD: 8,397,236

Miami Brickell: 6,144,487

Miami combined: 14,541,723

Ft. Laud: 7,284,000

West Palm: 9,430,000

Jax: 8,158,904

Charlotte: 20,000,000

Atlanta CBD: 21,774,000

Atlanta Midtown: 16,282,000

Atlanta combined: 38,056,000

Atlanta Buckhead: 15,101,000

So, this list puts things in perspective even more. Atlanta is huge comparatively speaking.

I feel like I've seen those numbers before, and it's like deja vu all over again with the Miami numbers surprising me. Is it just because a good deal of the buildings in Miami's downtown skyline are residential? Or are there some strange boundaries defining their CBD?

I don't get it either. I think Miami CBD is everything north of the Miami River. But still, it seems like there's more office space there than that... maybe not.

Here's an interesting number:

Metro numbers for Office Space and Industrial Space: Miami Metro vs. I-4 corridor (ORL + Tampa + Lakeland)

Office Space: Suburban ONLY (non-downtowns):

*Miami Metro: 128,931,000 (excludes CBD Miami, Ft.L, WPB, Brickell)

I-4 Corridor: 107,109,000 (excludes CBD ORL, Tampa, St.Pete)

Atlanta: 120,274,000 (excludes CBD, Midtown, Buckhead)

Industrial Space: Total:

Miami Metro: 291,150,000

*I-4 Corridor: 298,067,930

Atlanta: 534,362,000 (includes flex-space numbers (no such designation for Florida cities))

pretty interesting, huh.

Edited by JRS1

NBA Guarantees Orlando All-Star Game

Posted on Feb 17, 2007 8:50:12 PM

Discuss This: Comments (0) {sodEmoji.|} TrackBack (0) {sodEmoji.|} Linking Blogs {sodEmoji.|} Add to del.icio.us {sodEmoji.|} Digg it

NBA Commissioner David Stern reiterated to the Sentinel after his media session Saturday that Orlando would be guaranteed to play host to an all-star game once they build a new arena.

"Yes," Stern said. "Yes. That

NBA Guarantees Orlando All-Star Game

Posted on Feb 17, 2007 8:50:12 PM

Discuss This: Comments (0) {sodEmoji.|} TrackBack (0) {sodEmoji.|} Linking Blogs {sodEmoji.|} Add to del.icio.us {sodEmoji.|} Digg it

NBA Commissioner David Stern reiterated to the Sentinel after his media session Saturday that Orlando would be guaranteed to play host to an all-star game once they build a new arena.

"Yes," Stern said. "Yes. That

Nemours intends to build hospital at Lake Nona

The Nemours Foundation will announce today that it intends to build its proposed children's hospital at Lake Nona.

Nemours' chief executive, Dr. David Bailey, told the Orlando Sentinel's editorial board this morning that the decision would be communicated to Nemours employees first and then to the public this afternoon.

The decision should be welcome at Orlando Regional Healthcare and Florida Hospital, the two hospital systems that already run children's hospitals in Orlando and until now have opposed Nemours' plans to build a third facility. The decision means Nemours has abandoned its plans to build the hospital on property it owns near the Mall at Millenia in southwest Orlando -- something the other two hospitals had opposed.

Bailey said the southwest Orlando property may be used for a satellite Nemours clinic, but that no final plans had been made.

The state of Florida has rejected Nemours' first two applications to build a children's hospital in Central Florida. Nemours is appealing the first rejection, considering whether to appeal the second rejection, and recently notified the state it plans to file a third application next month.

Orlando Sentinel Article

Agere's 206 acres sell for $50 million

Tavistock and CT Hsu are purchasing the Agere site, which was originally an AT&T chip plant.

I asked on here a month or two ago if anyone had heard of World Design Center in Atlanta. Surprisingly, no one answered. Anyway, the Sentinel article doesn't say it, but that is what is planned. 400,000sf of retail. I think they are kitchen and bathroom type stuff.

Now, does anyone know what World Design Center in Atlanta is?

Tavistock and CT Hsu are purchasing the Agere site, which was originally an AT&T chip plant.

I asked on here a month or two ago if anyone had heard of World Design Center in Atlanta. Surprisingly, no one answered. Anyway, the Sentinel article doesn't say it, but that is what is planned. 400,000sf of retail. I think they are kitchen and bathroom type stuff.

Not specifically, but I think it sounds like Merchandise Mart in Chicago.

Edited by mrh3

are you saying that is what's planned for the Agere site?