Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

someone on SSC pointed out there is an article on orlando in march national geographic

here it is, I haven't read it yet, but supposedly it's fairly positive.

Walt Disney's utopian dream forever changed Orlando, Florida, and laid the blueprint for the new American metropolis.

"Everything happening to America today is happening here, and it's far removed from the cookie-cutter suburbanization of life a generation ago. The Orlando region has become Exhibit A for the ascendant power of our cities' exurbs: blobby coalescences of look-alike, overnight, amoeba-like concentrations of population far from city centers. These huge, sprawling communities are where more and more Americans choose to be, the place where job growth is fastest, home building is briskest, and malls and megachurches are multiplying as newcomers keep on coming. Who are all these people? They're you, they're me, and increasingly, they are nothing like the blue-eyed "Dick and Jane" of mythical suburban America. "

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0703/feature4/

the most positive thing i seemed to gather from that nat'l geographic article seemed to be how highly it lauded orlando's diversity. And now that I live in southern Virginia, it really has hit me just how diverse orlando really is. Cohesive diversity truely is orlando's greatest strength imo, since the way it is diversifying is different from the older, more segregated neighborhoods of other diverse cities such as New York or Boston.

It's a pretty objective article though, it looks at both the good and bad... and while it does put quite a focus on the city's out of control sprawl and traffic, I still felt good after reading the article. Orlando is definately coming up in the eyes of the nation, this article is proof of this.

Thanks for posting the article.

All over Orlando you see forces at work that are changing America from Fairbanks to Little Rock. This, truly, is a 21st-century paradigm: It is growth built on consumption, not production; a society founded not on natural resources, but upon the dissipation of capital accumulated elsewhere; a place of infinite possibilities, somehow held together, to the extent it is held together at all, by a shared recognition of highway signs, brand names, TV shows, and personalities, rather than any shared history. Nowhere else is the juxtaposition of what America actually is and the conventional idea of what America should be more vivid and revealing.

Welcome to the theme-park nation.

Maybe I'm being negative but this seems like a scathing indictment of life in modern America and more specifically Orlando.

Uh, why does the National Geographic hate America? (that's a joke)

I don't have this article either, but the Sentinel has another story about boy bander and salvation of Church Street Lou Pearlman today. Apparently they knew that the writing was on the wall over there at TransCon, taking the furnishings, looting the bank accounts, not paying the garbage bill...

I hope whoever does wind up buying the place returns it to it's rightful place as the main downtown entertainment hub.

I'm not sure I like Kuhn's idea of turning part of the Exchange into residences, though. I think he mentioned something like that.

That doesn't sound like much of an idea at all. The Exchange needs to reopen as solid retail and dining. Maybe leave out the game arcade this time, though.

I would like to see a food court with some popular fast food franchises in there and return the place to the kind of carnival type atmosphere that it used to have.

The kinds of specialty stores that used to be in there appealed to the busloads of tourists that used to come there every night, but would never make it there today.

There needs to be much more practical and useful stuff for sale in there to cater to the new downtown that caters to locals.

I hope whoever does wind up buying the place returns it to it's rightful place as the main downtown entertainment hub.

I'm not sure I like Kuhn's idea of turning part of the Exchange into residences, though. I think he mentioned something like that.

That doesn't sound like much of an idea at all. The Exchange needs to reopen as solid retail and dining. Maybe leave out the game arcade this time, though.

I would like to see a food court with some popular fast food franchises in there and return the place to the kind of carnival type atmosphere that it used to have.

The kinds of specialty stores that used to be in there appealed to the busloads of tourists that used to come there every night, but would never make it there today.

There needs to be much more practical and useful stuff for sale in there to cater to the new downtown that caters to locals.

i agree with everything except for one thing -- leaving out the arcade. when i was younger, the arcade, rosie's with the lit elevator and its $.25 cokes, and the buffalo trading post with its candy sticks was what brought my family to church street from sanford. we didn't have a lot of money, and it was a low-cost night out that gave the kids something to do while our parents walked around and enjoyed the adult-level atmosphere.

there were things for me to do at church street as a kid ... i was bought my first drink at the cheyenne salon as a 17-year old there for line dancing. in college, we'd sing away the night at the dueling pianos bar. when i got my first job downtown, we'd have lunch at jungle jims, and i fell in love with its blood marys with a whole celery skewer of veggies ... if it were not for the businesses geared toward different demographics, i would not have those benchmarks from a multitude of different times in my life that keep me cheering on this integral part of downtown ... and those types of businesses will do the same for future generations -- and the families we hope to encourage to live downtown.

oops; sorry fore the little trip down memory lane. i guess my point is, don't forget the kids. they'll have the money in 30 years to keep the area alive then, too! :blush:

Edited by slapdash09

Plans for towers take a tumble

Downtown Orlando condo bust: 41 projects -- but 15 built or now rising

Jack Snyder {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted February 25, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

I think the real story is that our skyline has doubled in a short period.

Among the projects that haven't yet broken ground -- if we could just get one more, I hope it's Tradition Towers.

Posted February 25, 2007

Among the projects that haven't yet broken ground -- if we could just get one more, I hope it's Tradition Towers.

I hate that article title. just state what's been built up to now. and then list projects that are still viable. no city builds all the projects that come aross the City's desk. informative, though.

Posted February 25, 2007

I have heard, antidotically so far, that construction material prices are going down, at least a little. Or maybe it's just contractors are getting more desperate for work....

Me too.

I don't see how they can call it a "condo bust" when downtown is literally undergoing a renaissance of construction activity.

I guess the media always has to see the glass as half empty.

The media always build things up and then they will try to tear it down. Look at the growth in Downtown Orlando. It is amazing the changes in the last 10 years. Ten years from now people will doing the would of, could of should of. People will be saying I can remember when I could of bought in that building for x amount.

The media always build things up and then they will try to tear it down. Look at the growth in Downtown Orlando. It is amazing the changes in the last 10 years. Ten years from now people will doing the would of, could of should of. People will be saying I can remember when I could of bought in that building for x amount.

Absolutely!

It wasn't so long ago, about six years ago, you could find decent houses on large lots downtown for well under $130k. Who would have thought....

I got my house for $120k in 2000. One sixth an acre, 1,450 square feet. Today there's a run down, 450-square foot shack for sale around the corner, on a sliver of land just about the size of the house. Asking price: $170k.

Posted February 25, 2007

Right on brother!Tis in my opinon would greatly fill in and make Orlando looks very urban.Hope they do start this soon we need it.Also i think when the pac and arena starts construction it will bring another wave of development.I have wondered recently why someone hasnt built another skyscraper for commercial uses only for some big corporation.

Would someone explain this to me.Right now there are currently 15oo people moving to cental fla per week.Now i know that not all these people are moving to orlando.What i dont understand is that in 2 to 3 years downtown should add alot of these 1500 people to this area why arent investors willing to risk some money and build for the future.In other words start a project now[as labor materials etc]are lower now thatn in 2 to 3 years rather thatn waiting to build when theres more of demand.I amd not an expert but it makes sense all these people moving here will need housing.The thing is how many people are moving out of cent fla per week?

From sentinel:

"Just a quick note to report that according to the latest news, the City of Orlando has found an anonymous private donor to foot the $25,000 cost of the seven foot tall pelican that was slated to be installed at Jackson and Magnolia and is now frantically eliciting public donors for the other 25 or so planned to line Magnolia. If any of you have a spare $650,000 or so laying about you don't need for anything else like paying your grocery bills, pharmacy bills, property taxes, income taxes, utility bills, medical bills, car payments, mortgages, college tuition, gas bills, orthodontists, etc. etc. or setting aside for a future vacation, please contact Mayor Dyer right away. He is looking for a little help right now. "

From sentinel:

"Just a quick note to report that according to the latest news, the City of Orlando has found an anonymous private donor to foot the $25,000 cost of the seven foot tall pelican that was slated to be installed at Jackson and Magnolia and is now frantically eliciting public donors for the other 25 or so planned to line Magnolia. If any of you have a spare $650,000 or so laying about you don't need for anything else like paying your grocery bills, pharmacy bills, property taxes, income taxes, utility bills, medical bills, car payments, mortgages, college tuition, gas bills, orthodontists, etc. etc. or setting aside for a future vacation, please contact Mayor Dyer right away. He is looking for a little help right now. "

Sunshine,

Do you any information on this public art project like who is sponsoring it and who the artists are?

From sentinel:

Boy there sure are some cheap people around here. I'm not sure this is the best use of beautification money, or the best place (mostly bars on this street now isn't there?) but can't we spend some cash on something to add some art or otherwise beautify public spaces? Those huge Date Palms that are on the same street aren't cheap either but you don't see the news station down there exposing that.

Boy there sure are some cheap people around here. I'm not sure this is the best use of beautification money, or the best place (mostly bars on this street now isn't there?) but can't we spend some cash on something to add some art or otherwise beautify public spaces? Those huge Date Palms that are on the same street aren't cheap either but you don't see the news station down there exposing that.

I have an office on Magnolia, so I like the idea, but mmm.... $25k per pelican. And it's going to Africa. I think we would be better off commissioning a local artist to make pelicans. Who the hell is trying to swindle/funnel public money out of here? Who sold Buddy on this one? I can't remember the last time I saw a pelican in Orlando. Seagull, yes. Pigeon, yes. Ducks, yes. Swans, definitely. After thinking this through for 30 seconds or so... I don't like the idea anymore. Did this even go to a committee?