Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

well hot damn

an article that is actually postitive and supports our 3 venue deal

we vote people into office that make desicions that most of us are not informed or educated enough to make

and I also agree with the last part of that article, we need to toughen up against the "big box" problem

excellent article from the sentinel

not a headline... but, rather a comparison of various retail chains found in ORL metro and Tampa Bay. Remember, ORL has 2M population to Tampa Bay's 2.5M. This info was taken from all these stores' websites & store locators. Check it out:

Bed, Bath & Beyond: ORL: 5*; TAM: 3

Michaels: ORL: 9; TAM: 10*

Office Max: ORL: 9*; TAM: 0

Office Depot: ORL: 16*; TAM: 14

Staples: ORL: 8; TAM: 14*

Best Buy: ORL: 6*; TAM: 5

Circuit City: ORL: 8; TAM: 8

Home Depot: ORL: 17* (does not incl. Orange City); TAM: 16

Lowe's: ORL: 11 (does not incl. Orange City); TAM: 14*

Target: ORL: 18* (does not incl. Orange City) Also, does not incl. SoDo location under development); TAM: 16

Sears: ORL: 7*; TAM: 5

Dillards: ORL: 7; TAM: 7

JCPenny: ORL: 6; TAM: 8* (does not incl. The Loop West location U/C)

Bloomingdales: ORL: 1*; TAM: 0

Nordstrom: ORL: 1; TAM: 1

Crate&Barrel: ORL: 1*; TAM: 0

Saks: ORL: 1; TAM: 1

Neiman Marcus: ORL: 1; TAM: 1

Burdines: ORL: 5; TAM: 8* (see below)

Macy*s: ORL: 1*; TAM: 0. (After buyout of Burdines and renaming of stores, ORL: 6; TAM: 8*)

WalMart: ORL: 25 (does not include 1 at Sumter & 1 at Marion County lines (both at Villages), nor the U/C Turkey Lake Rd. location. (does not incl. Orange City; Deltona; DeLand (W. Volusia (FYI: Commuter Rail stop at DeBary); Titusville); TAM: 28*

--there's more. If anyone is curious at to why I looked this stuff up, it's because I already know Orlando's retail is strong, but I wanted to quantify it with some raw numbers. Tampa has more Lowe's, Staples, Michaels, JCPenny's, former Burdines, and WalMarts.

Edited by JRS1

Not to be difficult here....but why?? I don't really want to see city vs. city mine is bigger threads spill over from other forums into here. It's great to talk about strength of retail but not sure how pointing out how many more best buys we have than Tampa accomplishes that. To me it could point to more sprawl.

Not to be difficult here....but why?? I don't really want to see city vs. city mine is bigger threads spill over from other forums into here. It's great to talk about strength of retail but not sure how pointing out how many more best buys we have than Tampa accomplishes that. To me it could point to more sprawl.

I see your point, Tim, but I thought Orlandoans might find this stuff interesting.

Tampa is the closest metro in population to Orlando, that's why I use it to compare to. Miami is too big; Jax is too small. Also, if you do it per capita, it shows the retail consumer strength of Orlando comparatively. I wanted to see just how much of this stuff Orlando had-- stats in a vacuum don't mean anything unless you compare them to something to help put them in perspective.

As for the sprawl issue, you'd be surprised to know just how many of each of these stores are in Pinellas County, which is very dense. For example, there are almost as many Targets in Pinellas as there are in much larger Hillsborough. It's rather interesting stuff.

Edited by JRS1

What I'd like to see is sales comparisons, which would be a better measure of the retail scenes. As for the actual number of stores, I suspect land in the Tampa Bay metro is harder to come by at a higher price. Pinellas County is officially 100% built out.

Also, most of these stores had massive expansions nationwide at the same time Orlando was rapidly growing in the late 90s, while stores like Wal-Mart and Lowe's did their expansions in the late 80s/early 90s when Tampa went through its growth spurt. After that, I'd chalk some of Tampa Bay's lower number of big boxes to a less welcoming attitude for them than Orlando (Re: National Geographic story on Orlando). I guess we all need the stuff these places sell, but do we really need so many? I moved to Orlando nearly a year ago and have yet to step into a Wal-Mart.

Edited by palmtree73

not news, but according to the website:

http://www.ocls.info/locations/MainLibrary...ault.asp?bhcp=1

the Main Library downtown, at 290,000 sq. ft. is the largest public library bldg. in the State of Florida. Is this true???

When it openend it was the largest public Library in the south. I dont know if this is still true.

Excellent example of brutalism? Okay. But the general consensus is that brutalism is one of ugliest styles of architecture, if not the ugliest. So we have a fine example of an awesomely crappy architectural style. It's sort of like winning the gold medal at the Special Olympics-- even if you win, you're still retarded.

(yes, I realize I'm going to hell for that last comment)

Excellent example of brutalism? Okay. But the general consensus is that brutalism is one of ugliest styles of architecture, if not the ugliest. So we have a fine example of an awesomely crappy architectural style. It's sort of like winning the gold medal at the Special Olympics-- even if you win, you're still retarded.

(yes, I realize I'm going to hell for that last comment)

:rofl:

(guess i'll be joining you in hell)

Edited by pip

I think it's a great looking building. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Agreed. That is one of my favorite buildings downtown.

Personally, when I go on vacation to a new city, I always try to visit their main library. Orlando has a good library even compared to larger cities.

The outside looks like a museum, modern art museum at that. It is unique and in a good way.

Orlando's digital moves

By fall, the city expects a motion-capture soundstage to be located downtown.

Chris Cobbs {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 13, 2007

In the 2004 movie The Polar Express, computerized special effects created by a Los Angeles-based company transformed actor Tom Hanks into a group of digitally rendered fictitious characters.

Using advanced digital cameras to record Hanks' movements in a process called "motion capture," computers then generated a series of animated, 3D movie characters, including an old man, a train conductor and a small child.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines