Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Agreed. That is one of my favorite buildings downtown.

Personally, when I go on vacation to a new city, I always try to visit their main library. Orlando has a good library even compared to larger cities.

The outside looks like a museum, modern art museum at that. It is unique and in a good way.

I think the knock of the Library is the fact that you have that parking garage dwarfing it across the street on Central. Then, you have all the homeless. It is a cool bldg. Maybe the City should beautify (yeah right) the Library parking garage and face it with brick or something, then, it won't detract from the library.

Also, that AT&T bldg. seems kind of ugly to an extent and borders the other side of it. It's sandwiched by unsightly neighbors. THe History Centor and Lake Eola are its only saving graces.

I like it, too. And I'm not a huge fan of brutalism.

The library, in my uniformed opionion, is brutalism-lite. I don't know what kind of material was used, but it looks enough like natural stone to make it a little more fluid and less harsh than a lot of brutalist buildings.

It's just poured concrete. They used forms with wooden slats offset at different depths to get that staggered surface effect. As they would go up a level, they just re-used the same form that had been used directly below it. I think you can even see the horizontal seams.

I am not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere, but there is an interesting and lengthy article about the development and symbolism of Orlando in the March 2007 edition of National Geographic Magazine. I just picked it up today and thought it was a good read.

The DC Metro System is one of the best examples of brutalism. I can't seem to get any images because is says dynamic pages in the metro.jpg

Yes, it is stunning!

Brutalism failed not because it was an "ugly" style, but because it peaked during urban renewal. However there are plenty of examples where a brutalist building is in context with it's surroundings (thus an architectural success) whether it is liked by general consensus or not!

I am not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere, but there is an interesting and lengthy article about the development and symbolism of Orlando in the March 2007 edition of National Geographic Magazine. I just picked it up today and thought it was a good read.

yes, it's already been hashed out 3-4 weeks ago on multiple forums.

Wal-Mart delights Deltona

Eager shoppers at the city's first supercenter expect to save driving time and money.

Rebecca Mahoney {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 15, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

That article makes me weep for the future. I can't believe people are still getting that worked up over a wal-mart.

Lake Eola project may sprout hotel rooms

Initially a 31-story condo tower, The Cristal will now be a mix of condo units and a hotel.

Jack Snyder

Sentinel Staff Writer

March 21, 2007

Developer Mark Kinchla is convinced the window has closed on big condominium projects in downtown Orlando.

"I don't believe you're going to see 200- to 300-unit projects any time soon," he said Tuesday. "You need smaller projects with a unique appeal to make things work these days."

That's why Kinchla and his partners, Concorde Eastridge Inc. of Washington, D.C., are drastically modifying their proposal for 170 E. Washington St., overlooking Lake Eola.

First planned as a 31-story, 187-condo tower, the project has been changed to a 240-room hotel with 55 condominiums on the top floors.

The tower, called The Cristal, would be built on the southwest corner of Washington and Rosalind Avenue. The property, which now has a small office building on it, is across the street from Lake Eola between St. George Greek Orthodox Church and The Metropolitan at Lake Eola condominiums.

Read more here....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom...rowth-headlines

Orange OKs big-box rules; residents stew

David Damron {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 21, 2007

Orange County commissioners on Tuesday adopted new rules for big-box stores designed to make them better-looking and safer. But they watered down required buffers for homes and schools.

The result angered residents and activists, but it might have prevented a threatened lengthy legal challenge by retailers.

And while the fight prompted Wal-Mart to drop plans for a proposed supercenter at John Young and Central Florida parkways as a concession, Orange County commissioners still rejected the toughest proposals that came from the task force, critics said.

----------

Other, less-controversial, new requirements include:

Install shopping-cart-retention plans to keep carts on the lot.

Erect 8-foot-high walls between stores and residences, and preserve more unpaved areas around stores.

Storefronts must look like multiple retail outlets, and each one must install additional windows on the street side.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

WrestleMania is coming to Orlando

Lynn Hoppes {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 20, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-...mostemailedlink

Oh my God. The author called Orlando a "World Class City."

Initially a 31-story condo tower, The Cristal will now be a mix of condo units and a hotel.

Jack Snyder

Sentinel Staff Writer

March 21, 2007

Developer Mark Kinchla is convinced the window has closed on big condominium projects in downtown Orlando.

"I don't believe you're going to see 200- to 300-unit projects any time soon," he said Tuesday. "You need smaller projects with a unique appeal to make things work these days."

That's why Kinchla and his partners, Concorde Eastridge Inc. of Washington, D.C., are drastically modifying their proposal for 170 E. Washington St., overlooking Lake Eola.

First planned as a 31-story, 187-condo tower, the project has been changed to a 240-room hotel with 55 condominiums on the top floors.

The tower, called The Cristal, would be built on the southwest corner of Washington and Rosalind Avenue. The property, which now has a small office building on it, is across the street from Lake Eola between St. George Greek Orthodox Church and The Metropolitan at Lake Eola condominiums.

Read more here....

this is exciting news. another project which is morphing with the times... keep 'em coming. I know their title agent; I'll be in a good position to keep apprised of its status in the future.

another project which is morphing with the times... keep 'em coming. I know their title agent; I'll be in a good position to keep apprised of its status in the future.

Please do keep us in the loop. I am exceptionally interested in purchasing a condo here. I lived in a Condo on top of a hotel in Daytona Beach Shores for a short while and it was great (getting to use the "hotel features" for little or NO extra HOA fees). Well it was great until I realized I was in Daytona Beach Shores! :silly:

Please do keep us in the loop. I am exceptionally interested in purchasing a condo here. I lived in a Condo on top of a hotel in Daytona Beach Shores for a short while and it was great (getting to use the "hotel features" for little or NO extra HOA fees). Well it was great until I realized I was in Daytona Beach Shores! :silly:

sorry, I made a mistake. wrong Lake Eve development. my bad. however, I'll post info about the other one in the attractions thread.

Jack Snyder

Sentinel Staff Writer

March 21, 2007

Read more here....

They are going to spend millions on this building named after a (misspelled) ghetto-liquor? Is the Alize going in across the street?

I gotta say that the location of Eola South is top notch. Also not having lots of neighbors is pretty cool. I never hear my neighbors (the walls are very thick between units).

BUT - that all being said, I'm from NYC and love living up high and having a view. Don't know why, but I really enjoy coming home from work and hanging out on the balcony way up there with a drink (sorry Sunshine :P) and read a book. It's also much quieter up there.

AND I like to have amenities. I bought into Eola South as a temporary way to get downtown while I waited for 55w to get built. After the price increase I pulled outta 55w and am still here in Eola South. I pay pretty high HOA fees for not having any amenities (almost $400/mo)

It's a very cool building, but I love to swim and workout and I can't do either of those here. Also, there is no doorman (something I am so used to and didn't realize I'd miss that much) and that kind of sucks when something happens. Like the fire alarm goes off - or some drunk idiot parks in such a way (illegally I may add) so you can't get in to the garage.... etc.