Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

This opened up on Thursday. The Grand Opening is this Saturday.

It's freaking awesome, blows ABC away. They have a ton of different wines, beers, liquor, and best of all- their prices are the lowest I've seen. Definitely worth checking out.

Agreed. cant beleive last time i was in that building it was a temp Halloween store! nice (and much needed) improvement!

Man, I'm really curious to see how much/what Disney will shell out for this...

the sentiel should do an editorial pressing disney to contribute the most out of all donors. its amazing that disney spends so much money on a pac in los angeles and is potentially willing to snub a city just as important to them.

personally, the sentinel and mike thomas should hold disney to the same standards that they hold the magic. if disney offers only a few million, the sentinel should really publicly chastise them. their offer should be in the tens of millions.

This opened up on Thursday. The Grand Opening is this Saturday.

It's freaking awesome, blows ABC away. They have a ton of different wines, beers, liquor, and best of all- their prices are the lowest I've seen. Definitely worth checking out.

Buyer beware... these big box wine stores lure in the customers with what appears to be low prices on what really is inferior wine that was discarded by the wineries. Then the juice brokers add a bunch of sugar, give it a catchy label like Big Ass Cab ... and then mark it up 80%.

There are plenty of small local wine shops that refuse to sell that type of stuff. Park Wine Merchants on Corrine has excellent selection of "party wines" for about $5 for example....from private wineries around the world.

the sentiel should do an editorial pressing disney to contribute the most out of all donors. its amazing that disney spends so much money on a pac in los angeles and is potentially willing to snub a city just as important to them.

personally, the sentinel and mike thomas should hold disney to the same standards that they hold the magic. if disney offers only a few million, the sentinel should really publicly chastise them. their offer should be in the tens of millions.

I agree that it would be great, and appropriate for them to contribute a significant amount. But it's also a fair argument that their technically HQ'd out of the LA area, not Orlando, so even if their operations in Orlando are larger, their corporate/civic involvement would naturally be more substantial on the west coast. Also, it's not like Disney is a privately held company with complete freedom to throw their cash around as they please - they have to report to investors. Companies pre-plan charitable contributions for any given budget year, if not the causes, at least the amounts. I'm not sure what the process is for a public company that reports to a board and it's shareholders is for large charitable gifts.

Buyer beware... these big box wine stores lure in the customers with what appears to be low prices on what really is inferior wine that was discarded by the wineries. Then the juice brokers add a bunch of sugar, give it a catchy label like Big Ass Cab ... and then mark it up 80%.

There are plenty of small local wine shops that refuse to sell that type of stuff. Park Wine Merchants on Corrine has excellent selection of "party wines" for about $5 for example....from private wineries around the world.

Speaking from experience...I used to live down the street from the Total Wine & More in Alexandria, VA, and I went there all the time. I live in Baltimore, MD, now but I still go to the Alexandria store whenever I am in that area. They have an amazing and massive inventory, and they stock products from the basics to high caliber (including proper temperature control when called for). The prices are superior to anywhere else. This is definitely not a boutique wine store (I go to one in Baltimore on the other side of the waterfront from my house), but you can't beat the selection and deals for everything else.

Tall buildings are OK, Sanford decides

Some downtown high-rise complexes could reach up to 16 stories under newly approved guidelines.

Robert Perez {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Despite residents' continuing complaints, the City Commission on Monday approved development guidelines that would allow buildings as tall as 168 feet, or 12 to 16 stories, in parts of downtown Sanford.

The battle over future development along the Lake Monroe waterfront ended with a message of compromise from city leaders but simmering disappointment from residents.

"I've yet to hear why it's a good idea, except to increase profits and to give someone the impression that we're moving forward," said Larry Hoppen, one of a half-dozen downtown residents who spoke against the guidelines.

Commissioner Art Woodruff, whose district includes the affected area, questioned whether the guidelines accomplished the goal of setting a vision for downtown development.

"I'm not satisfied with what we've come up with," he said. "What are we gaining?"

But other commissioners said guidelines developed by professional plannersset a reasonable standard for the city. Monday's decision finalizes a monthslong process to determine what downtown should look like. The city adopted a building moratorium in the downtown area last year to allow consultants to develop a master plan.

----------

Read more at OrlandoSentinel.com

Nonsense.

They aren't selling Bartel's and James'

Park Wine Merchants and other local wine shops are just too expensive. I've seen wines in these places for a few dollars more per bottle. I'm just not going to spend it.

Cost Plus World Market was my wine store of choice, but this new Total Wine is amazing. They have everything you can think of and all of it is at great prices. The beer prices are great as are the liquor prices.

Sorry, mom and pop, but if you can't keep your prices down or offer something they can't, you're not getting my business.

I think it will rebound this year after the Florida Legislation ended, but it also depends where your house is located. If it is in Seminole, UCF or way out in four corner, you are doomed. The closer your house is to the city core, the better it will hold up in value. Not sure what to say about condo in downtown though. Condo price outside of downtown will fell. Pocket of housing area like Dr Phillips, Windermere, Delaney Park, Metrowest, Bay Hill, College Park, will retain it house values. This doesnt apply to condo, most condo or condo conevrsion are poorly constructed and they have the gut to sell them for over 200K.

I think mor elike 5 years

I hope it's somewhere in the middle (2-3 years) but I wouldn't bet on it. Of course if you listened to the realtors you would expect the market to turn around tomorrow.

I think it really depends on how bad the mortgage loan 'crisis' gets...

Every day there is something about Florida in www.thehousingbubbleblog.com

Edited by neon9

excellent article

I agree 100%

the whole hurricane thing is way overdone and scares away millions of people for no reason

stick it to the man

regarding tourists, I say point to places like Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Daytona, et. al where there are billions being invested for full and part-time residents to guage whether this place is a safe visit just for a week or so.

Rosen should do a campaign to refund all guests who book rooms here and get stuck in a hurricane w/o power, etc., i.e., guarantee the comfort of their stay.

Edited by JRS1