Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Hilton Hotel Corp. this morning launched its $500 million, 1,400-room project for Bonnet Creek near Walt Disney World. The development includes the first new Waldorf-Astoria hotel outside New York City.

The project, which is expected to be completed in 2009, will contain a 498-room Waldorf and a 1,000-room Hilton connected by a 125,000-square-foot meeting hall.

Hilton Hotel Corp. this morning launched its $500 million, 1,400-room project for Bonnet Creek near Walt Disney World. The development includes the first new Waldorf-Astoria hotel outside New York City.

The project, which is expected to be completed in 2009, will contain a 498-room Waldorf and a 1,000-room Hilton connected by a 125,000-square-foot meeting hall.

where is the article at? I heard last night about this and can't find a reference to it on google.

a friend of mine yesterday saw a blog on this new Waldorf on the internet-- she says it was a link from a news station website. she claims that not only did they announce groundbreaking on the Waldorf, but also on the Convention Center Hilton. Did you read anything on that? I need to verify that.

Edit: This is not directed at your post Pieson, just a lot of what I've been reading around here lately

I'm afraid that I'm a bit confused what is meant by a slowdown in downtown construction. The way that I see it:

UC:

The Vue

Dynetech

55 West

Paramount

101 (whatever the address is)

Star Tower

Camden Court

-Tradition breaks ground in less than three months, Cap III is in the works, as is OUC. According to Jack, Verde is right around the corner. New Arena finances being worked out along with a new PAC, and Citrus Bowl. We are bringing a commuter rail to town. Huge overhaul on the I-4/408 exchange. What else? Add to that a list of projects that cannot be talked about that is equal to if not longer than that and I say we are doing pretty damn good.

I think that what is being mistaken as a slowdown is when a new pipe-dream proposal doesn't get announced every week. Half of that crap getting announced last summer was a ploy to sell the land that it sat on, they weren't real projects. Most of them aren't, Suprise! Thats not a slowdown, thats life.

Edited by orlandonative

Here is a Top 20 list of projects in CFLA in no particular order and not all are U/C (shovel & dirt) right now:

1. Commuter Rail Phase I

2. Waldorf-Hilton at Bonnet Creek (U/C)

3. Midtown (Wyndham; Hilton Vac. Club (U/C); Hilton)

4. Four Seasons WDW

5. OIA Intermodal Center

6. I-4/408 Interchange (U/C)

7. SODO (U/C)

8. Winter Garden Village (U/C)

9. Prime Outlets redo (U/C)

10. Westin Imagine (U/C)

11. Busch: Aquatica (U/C)

12. Mills/Nebraska

13. IKEA; West End (U/C)

14. UCF Med School; UF Biomed Center

15. Burnham Institute

16. U-Club/Tradition Towers

17. Uptown Altamonte developments (U/C)

18. UCF athletic complex & dorms (U/C)

19. 408 widening (U/C)

20. Blue Rose

Wow. Maybe this should have been a Top 50 list, b/c there's a whole lot more not on that list, like Veranda Park, etc...

I heard that the entire Tulsa is grid and full of traffic lights.

yea, the whole city is like that, and is extremely extensive

but one thing, you can always easily find your way around

all the same, whenever I go home back to Tulsa to visit, I am reminded why I decided to move to orlando

and you guys should keep your eyes open, as I more likely than not will be drinking downtown tonight and tomorrow

What we are seeing now is real projects by real developers. No more of the throw in a picture and see how many people bites. Just like realtors, we saw a time where everyone was making money, including those that dumblucked their way thru. Now we have the pros standing like it should be.

I think that what is being mistaken as a slowdown is when a new pipe-dream proposal doesn't get announced every week. Half of that crap getting announced last summer was a ploy to sell the land that it sat on, they weren't real projects. Most of them aren't, Suprise! Thats not a slowdown, thats life.

There may be a slowdown in proposals, but there is sure not a slow down in construction.

Orlando means business with overseas travelers

Beth Kassab {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted April 16, 2007

There's a new VIP in this tourist town who has little to do with Walt Disney World or T-shirt shops: the overseas business traveler.

Passengers hopping flights at Orlando International Airport with business instead of pleasure on their minds are behind the airport's latest strategy to woo new nonstop international routes.

According to data from Orbitz for Business, corporate overseas travel bookings in and out of Orlando each increased by more than 150 percent from 2005 to 2006.

"Orlando continues to be one of our fastest growing business-travel markets," said Orbitz spokesman Jim Cohn.

Article