Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

...and in fact, news of residential/commercial space was made public nearly a month ago.

Okay, but my post concerned a reported decision to NOT have residential space, and I believe that decision was just made that same day, so I think you're talking about something different than what I posted.

Dubai-Based Company Wants To Build 'Hollywood East' In Florida

Complex Would Rival Hollywood Studios

POSTED: 6:43 am EDT June 27, 2007

UPDATED: 7:08 am EDT June 27, 2007

http://www.local6.com/news/13577726/detail.html

13577798.jpg

I wonder if Crotty or local politicians are going to put a package together for these guys to build in Orange County? We've already got EA here, Full Sail, former Nick Studios, MGM's operations, that other one moving here "house of moves"; etc. to est. a track record... right?

I wonder if Crotty or local politicians are going to put a package together for these guys to build in Orange County? We've already got EA here, Full Sail, former Nick Studios, MGM's operations, that other one moving here "house of moves"; etc. to est. a track record... right?

Depends on how you look at it. We have NBC/Universal Studios, Disney/MGM Studios, Chapman/Leonard Studios and few other small single stage studio spaces in the area. We have a hard time keeping our studios filled with production. If they bring in another large scale studio, it will sit half empty most of the year. The studio (financing) corporations in LA like to keep an eye on what's going on. We will never get too much in Florida without having enough production companies making it on their own independently.

Depends on how you look at it. We have NBC/Universal Studios, Disney/MGM Studios, Chapman/Leonard Studios and few other small single stage studio spaces in the area. We have a hard time keeping our studios filled with production. If they bring in another large scale studio, it will sit half empty most of the year. The studio (financing) corporations in LA like to keep an eye on what's going on. We will never get too much in Florida without having enough production companies making it on their own independently.

I guess this goes back to that tax incentive issue that led many studios to film in places like Canada since the '90's?

I guess this goes back to that tax incentive issue that led many studios to film in places like Canada since the '90's?

That and the fact that the unions in town try to strongarm their way onto every production that comes to town and they piss off a lot of producers from out of town to (1) never come back and (2) to bad mouth Orlando back in LA.

Currently Orlando has a great number of studios as you quoted, but adding a larger studio would bring more attention to Central Florida. Central Florida has the room and the resources to support building another studio. The studios in Los Angeles are getting old, but they do have a long history. As technology changes (digital media etc), I think developing Hollywood east would be a success. Florida will soon be the 3rd most populated state in the US and it is still increasing. New inovative studios will bring plenty of business, as the old LA studios will have to upgrade to compete with the new studios in Florida.

Cool, i want to be josh duhamel neighbour.

Anyway, I think they should just put it in Hollywood, FLA.

If they want to build it in Florida, it has to be Orlando, Miami has no land, St Pete and Tampa are old and dont have the disney talent pool. And Tampa is just Tampa. Maybe they can squeeze it in Lake Nona again.

I would said, lets Dubai does Orlando. Maybe they will pull in some supertall or expensive skyscraper to house the Dubai business man in our downtown.

I guess I see these as two separate issues: 1. Can a new large FL studio make it in competition with CA, and 2. Where will it be? Miami, Tampa, or Orlando.

Issue 1 is the developers call ...

I think that any package by Crotty/Dyer would put together would be sway developers on issue 2 after issue 1 is decided.

I guess I see these as two separate issues: 1. Can a new large FL studio make it in competition with CA, and 2. Where will it be? Miami, Tampa, or Orlando.

Issue 1 is the developers call ...

I think that any package by Crotty/Dyer would put together would be sway developers on issue 2 after issue 1 is decided.

Orlando is the highest on the list given that it has MGM, Universal, etc. it makes sense to keep all the different talent together, plus it makes it a hub for media/production so talent is readily available. But the most import thing is that there is plenty of building room. Orlando is also central to Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, etc. The location is by far the best.

Miami sounds great but no room. Miami is so congested where will an 80 acres studio go in the everglades.

Tampa is just trying to catch up to Miami, and it getting worried that Orlando will soon pass them up in population and downtown size. Ask Trump, Tampa is not for him. There is talks of Trump building around internationl drive, plans are early and who knows if it ever would go forth.

Edited by drjnieto

That and the fact that the unions in town try to strongarm their way onto every production that comes to town and they piss off a lot of producers from out of town to (1) never come back and (2) to bad mouth Orlando back in LA.

good points by everyone...

but I did not know about the unions issue... in Orlando of all places... in film? wow.

florida is a right to work state. the performance unions don't have nearly as much power here as they do in california. in fact the opposite is happening, the unions "strongarming" is causing work to leave california in droves. and it has been that way for at least ten years now.

i think the issue with orlando getting studios is still its image. it hasn't recovered from the "hollywood east" title it tried to adapt back in the late 80s and early 90s. in the entertainment industry its going to be extremely hard to shake the "strictly theme park town" title that everyone outside of orlando gives us.

to be honest, i think miami has more of a good chance of adapting that industry since a lot more production is already done down there and its kind of a darling in the industry right now with all the celebrities that live and play there.

my $.02

florida is a right to work state. the performance unions don't have nearly as much power here as they do in california. in fact the opposite is happening, the unions "strongarming" is causing work to leave california in droves. and it has been that way for at least ten years now.

i think the issue with orlando getting studios is still its image. it hasn't recovered from the "hollywood east" title it tried to adapt back in the late 80s and early 90s. in the entertainment industry its going to be extremely hard to shake the "strictly theme park town" title that everyone outside of orlando gives us.

to be honest, i think miami has more of a good chance of adapting that industry since a lot more production is already done down there and its kind of a darling in the industry right now with all the celebrities that live and play there.

my $.02

Forget Hollywood EAST, Forget LA HOLLYWOOD. Lets come up with a new name for the Orlando area media/production area. For example "Creative village" in downtown is a cool name. "Health Village" Lake Nona cool name. Any thoughts on Names?