Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Just a quick refresher for those who do not know of have forgotten.

Facts And Rankings

For the fourth consecutive year, the Metro Orlando economy ranks among the strongest economies in the U.S. and the strongest in the state of Florida according to the annual POLICOM Economic Strength Rankings.

According to a newly released book, Today

Just a quick refresher for those who do not know of have forgotten <SNIP>.

My god man... did you just dig all of that up or just find it at one collective source? If the former I applaud (yet wonder about) you! Orlando is a great city, no doubt. We're in a slump (who isn't) yet I think our market and weird as hell culture will eventually lead to us being a VERY big city with a VERY dynamic and diversified population. I feel it and live it every day. The "wins" come in waves but I see the bigger long term picture. I'd say within 10 to 20 years, Orlando is going to be a big city that really has a sense of PLACE. I'm way too tired to back that up right now. To summarize, we are moving away from the hospitality / tourism trade. UCF is exploding (hello med school!). The skilled job market is so good it hurts. The only problems right now? INTERNATIONAL SPECULATION on real estate and sprawl! We'll "walk it off" soon and things will be a-ok. These are not fatal flaws - I consider them to be fixable by all accounts.

I appreciate your efforts on that list. Orlando is by no means perfect, but it is something to watch and I anticipate good things.

My god man... did you just dig all of that up or just find it at one collective source? If the former I applaud (yet wonder about) you! Orlando is a great city, no doubt. We're in a slump (who isn't) yet I think our market and weird as hell culture will eventually lead to us being a VERY big city with a VERY dynamic and diversified population. I feel it and live it every day. The "wins" come in waves but I see the bigger long term picture. I'd say within 10 to 20 years, Orlando is going to be a big city that really has a sense of PLACE. I'm way too tired to back that up right now. To summarize, we are moving away from the hospitality / tourism trade. UCF is exploding (hello med school!). The skilled job market is so good it hurts. The only problems right now? INTERNATIONAL SPECULATION on real estate and sprawl! We'll "walk it off" soon and things will be a-ok. These are not fatal flaws - I consider them to be fixable by all accounts.

I appreciate your efforts on that list. Orlando is by no means perfect, but it is something to watch and I anticipate good things.

The list was made available to me so I thought it would be good to share it.

Sure we are in a slump, I think many areas in the US are right now. But the advantages we have as a market can only bring us closer to a balanced economy or better more quickly than many cities in similar housing scenarios. Growing paint, who didn't have em?

Edited by MaXxlife

I hope this is on but what location is EA looking at now? I think they have been rumored in 3 or 4 proposals. Definetly the old Pizzuti block would be the most ideal especially with the Commuter rail station going in there.

Edited by UPSDAN

different things they have looked at...

Maitland (new building with current landlord)

CNL III

Pizzuti Block

empty block next to BofA

I haven't heard anything about which one they have chosen if they have yet. Haven't looked into what they're doing in awhile.

How much square footage are they seeking?

Saw this link to 2020 U.S. metro area population projections on SSP and thought I'd copy over some of the relevant info here.

Orlando - Kissimmee

2000 : 1,656,485

2006 : 1,984,855 : +19.82%

2020 : 2,764,594 : +66.90%

Lakeland

2000 : 485,509

2006 : 561,606 : +15.67%

2020 : 750,815 : 54.64%

Jacksonville

2000 : 1,126,248

2006 : 1,277,997 : +13.47%

2020 : 1,637,288 : +45.38%

Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater

2000 : 2,404,435

2006 : 2,697,731 : +12.20%

2020 : 3,408,555 : +41.76%

Miami - Fort Lauderdale - Miami Beach

2000 : 5,029,289

2006 : 5,463,857 : +8.64%

2020 : 6,459,442 : +28.44%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other notable cities experiencing the greatest population change between 2006 and 2020:

1. Palm Coast, FL : 164,185 : +224.56%

2. St. George, UT : 214,303 : +134.87%

3. Cape Coral - Fort Myers, FL : 436,971 : +98.44%

6. Las Vegas - Paradise, NV : 2,671,689 : +91.74%

14. Phoenix - Mesa - Scottsdale, AZ : 5,836,205 : +78.01%

22. Orlando - Kissimmee, FL : 2,764,594 : +66.90%

29. Charlotte - Gastonia - Concord, NC-SC : 2,146,464 : +60.18%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, the rankings of the biggest metro areas in 2020:

1. New York - Northern NJ - Long Island, NY-NJ-PA : 19,752,408 : +7.58%

2. Los Angeles - Long Beach - Santa Ana, CA : 14,100,584 : +13.66%

3. Chicago - Naperville - Joliet, IL-IN-WI : 10,340,685 : +13.37%

4. Dallas - Fort Worth - Arlington, TX : 7,775,098 : +49.60%

5. Houston - Sugar Land - Baytown, TX : 7,380,824 : +55.64%

6. Atlanta - Sandy Springs - Marietta, GA : 7,077,814 : +65.29%

7. Miami - Fort Lauderdale - Miami Beach, FL : 6,459,442 : +28.44%

8. Washington - Arlington - Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV : 6,319,959 : +31.07%

9. Philadelphia - Camden - Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD : 6,149,832 : +8.01%

10. Riverside - San Bernadino - Ontario, CA : 5,839,053 : +78.06%

17. Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater, FL : 3,408,555 : +41.76%

22. Orlando - Kissimmee, FL : 2,764,594 : +66.90%

If one were to combine the 2020 population figures of the main Central Florida cities to create one Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater-Lakeland-Kissimmee-Orlando metro area, we would be looking at an MSA population of 7,029,692. This figure does not include the populations of Bradenton, Sarasota, Titusville, Melbourne, or Daytona Beach...and might not include Deltona either (not sure if it's being counted in the Orlando MSA). If you were to include all of those cities, we are looking at over 8 million people living in Central Florida. The 7,029,692 population number would be good for the 7th largest metro in the U.S. in 2020--just barely behind Atlanta and well in front of Miami*. And if that was the present-day population, the Orlampa metro would be ranked 5th, between Dallas and Philadelphia*. Not too shabby.

Here are the 2020 population figures for each regional MSA:

Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater : 3,408,555

Orlando - Kissimmee : 2,764,594

Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice : 902,731

Lakeland : 750,815

Palm Bay - Melbourne - Titusville : 672,595

Ocala : 456,913

The Villages : 105,728

* NOTE: Yes, I know that if one were to merge Tampa-St. Pete-Clearwater-Lakeland-Orlando into one metro area, other U.S. metros would also grow in size considerably as well. DC-Baltimore, Boston-Providence-Manchester, Chicago-Milwuakee and the like would also be routinely combined. But it's still fun to think about.

• 3 weeks later...

A new survey lists Orlando as one of the top cities people in the United States want to live near.

The Harris poll released today surveyed around 2,700 people and asked: 'If you could live in or near any city in the country, which would it be?'

Here are the top vote getters:

1. New York City

2. San Diego

3. Seattle

4. San Francisco

5. Las Vegas

6. Orlando

7. Honolulu

8. Phoenix

9. Denver (Tied)

9. Los Angeles (Tied)

11. Chicago

12. Boston

13. Charlotte, NC

14. Portland, OR

15. Miami

The next closest city to Orlando in Florida was Miami, which placed 15th.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2007/10...ble_cities.html

That list doesn't look right to me...

Cities I think are too high:

-Seattle

-Orlando

-Phoenix

-Denver

-Charlotte

Cities I think are too low:

-L.A.

-Miami

I find it hard to believe that more people would want to live *near* Charlotte than Miami. Likewise Orlando over Honolulu, L.A., Chicago, and Miami.

I dont think so. It can be many factor. I would choose Seattle over LA and Miami anytime.

Seattle has the job, urban lifestyle with relatively affordable housing.

Orlando was chosen mainly because of low living cost and Disney.

Phoenix is just cheap and maybe jobs.

Charlotte is job and housing.

LA too much traffic and Miami is just unafforable for most.

And it is only opinions from 2700 people, so read it as entertaintment.

I tend to think that most people keep places like Miami and LA in that category of: nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

I am moving to Atlanta next month and have run into a lot of people who feel that way about it. If I had to guess, I would say that is probably pretty common for most major cities in America.

That list doesn't look right to me...

Cities I think are too high:

-Seattle

-Orlando

-Phoenix

-Denver

-Charlotte

Cities I think are too low:

-L.A.

-Miami

I find it hard to believe that more people would want to live *near* Charlotte than Miami. Likewise Orlando over Honolulu, L.A., Chicago, and Miami.

Well as far as Miami goes think about all the crime down there.But on second thought we have our share of crime here though.I am a deputy sheriff and there is no way i would work in Miami.I want to retire someday

I tend to think that most people keep places like Miami and LA in that category of: nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

I am moving to Atlanta next month and have run into a lot of people who feel that way about it. If I had to guess, I would say that is probably pretty common for most major cities in America.

Wow, I will definitely miss your posts OrlandoNative. You always gave me alot of education as far as the construction aspects. Good Luck in Atlanta!

Wow, I will definitely miss your posts OrlandoNative. You always gave me alot of education as far as the construction aspects. Good Luck in Atlanta!

Yeah so long O'native.Is this something just came up i thought you were buying in the TT.Anyways even though i never met you i always enjoyed ur post.You tell it like it is brother .Good Luck!!