Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I kind of agree with that list I just personally think Boston, LA , Chicago and Miami are too low and Orlando is kind of a sore thumb in that list, I wouldve put it slightly lower but over all the list seems ok.

But again some of the things that might have put these cities so low on that list is affordability and traffic and all the city things, but then you look at the facts and Orlando is more dangerous and Orlando has worse traffic. Both Miami and orlando have a strong job market and good economies, but it must all come down too for alot of people affordability.

I kind of agree with that list I just personally think Boston, LA , Chicago and Miami are too low and Orlando is kind of a sore thumb in that list, I wouldve put it slightly lower but over all the list seems ok.

But again some of the things that might have put these cities so low on that list is affordability and traffic and all the city things, but then you look at the facts and Orlando is more dangerous and Orlando has worse traffic. Both Miami and orlando have a strong job market and good economies, but it must all come down too for alot of people affordability.

Yeah, currently being in Miami for school, I certainly don't have aaaaany problem with Miami being below Orlando. Other than Miami Beach, what makes Miami a desirable place to live? It's expensive, traffic-y, it's all suburbia, even the condos downtown are car-centric (again, Miami Beach is the exception, but that's also ridic. expensive), traffic sucks (yes, we've got Metrorail, but it doesn't go enough places to be convenient for anyone other than the folks in lower socioeconomic groups who have no alternative), Miami is notorious for crime (though it probably has a worse reputation than warranted, but still, this was an opinion poll) and Miami doesn't really exude anything warm and fuzzy. Oh, and nobody speaks English. For a city of it's size, the arts/cultural scene also sort of suck (in a big part because nothing's around the corner - you've gotta trek to the Design District or Miami Beach for galleries) and the music scene is out of whack. You'll be hard pressed to even tune to a pop or rock station on the radio, let alone anything indie or classical - our classical/NPR station SUCKS. Movies too - last year, after all the hype, Babel wasn't even released here (or at least, anywhere near me). Not to knock it, but Hispanic culture seems to have different cultural interests than you'd consider the norm in most of the country or Europe.

The pros: nice weather (you can get that in Orlando too), pretty people (probably an aggregate negative to the general populous: if you're not exceedingly pretty, why move to a city full of pretty/superficial people?), a good Latin/jazz music scene, and the beach.

Miami appeals a lot to some, but ultimately, I think Orlando has more general appeal to the mass populous. I'd hesitate to say Miami's more than a great vacation spot, and I'm sure as hell looking forward to getting out the day after graduation.

Though I've only been a few times, I think a lot of the same could be said for LA, and regardless of the reality, I'm pretty sure at the very least, perceptions run the same...

Thanks guys. It's actually just a second place for work, I will continue to live here as well. Were trying to push a project for Orlando with a company currently based in Atlanta :ph34r: . At the same time i'm trying to build projects in Atlanta while I live in Orlando. It makes no sense.

I am still keeping my deposits on TT, so if anyone needs a place to rent let me know :thumbsup: .

Yeah, currently being in Miami for school, I certainly don't have aaaaany problem with Miami being below Orlando. Other than Miami Beach, what makes Miami a desirable place to live? It's expensive, traffic-y, it's all suburbia, even the condos downtown are car-centric (again, Miami Beach is the exception, but that's also ridic. expensive), traffic sucks (yes, we've got Metrorail, but it doesn't go enough places to be convenient for anyone other than the folks in lower socioeconomic groups who have no alternative), Miami is notorious for crime (though it probably has a worse reputation than warranted, but still, this was an opinion poll) and Miami doesn't really exude anything warm and fuzzy. Oh, and nobody speaks English. For a city of it's size, the arts/cultural scene also sort of suck (in a big part because nothing's around the corner - you've gotta trek to the Design District or Miami Beach for galleries) and the music scene is out of whack. You'll be hard pressed to even tune to a pop or rock station on the radio, let alone anything indie or classical - our classical/NPR station SUCKS. Movies too - last year, after all the hype, Babel wasn't even released here (or at least, anywhere near me). Not to knock it, but Hispanic culture seems to have different cultural interests than you'd consider the norm in most of the country or Europe.

The pros: nice weather (you can get that in Orlando too), pretty people (probably an aggregate negative to the general populous: if you're not exceedingly pretty, why move to a city full of pretty/superficial people?), a good Latin/jazz music scene, and the beach.

Miami appeals a lot to some, but ultimately, I think Orlando has more general appeal to the mass populous. I'd hesitate to say Miami's more than a great vacation spot, and I'm sure as hell looking forward to getting out the day after graduation.

Though I've only been a few times, I think a lot of the same could be said for LA, and regardless of the reality, I'm pretty sure at the very least, perceptions run the same...

Again Orlando already passed Miami traffic wise, and with suburbia it doesnt get any worse than Orlando, Miami si more confirmed, more dense making it slightly more urban and I dont believe you've been to Downtown in the last year or so if you think the condos are all car centric!?!?

And I thought Miamis perception of being notorious for crime was back in the 80's with Miami Vice and the Cocaine Cowboys and being the countries murder capital, now and days crime is generally down and has more of the touristy, latin, glamour perception. Dont know what you mean Warm and fuzzy but theres plenty of beautiful, safe neighborhoods in Miami. The cultural scene while surely nothing to write home about is growing and pretty good, you got art galleries in Downtown, Brickell, Design District, Wynwood, Little Havana, Coral Gables and Miami Beach. Art Basel every year and great festivals representing countries around the world and big art shows like coconut grove and lttle havans festivals are all great. The spanish thing is a pretty ignorant comment to say, its great to have latin neighborhoods in little havana and Hialeah, Haitians in Little Haiti, Chinese in NMB and West Kendall, Jews in North Miami and Miami Beach, its just a great diverse place.

And I dopnt know if you know the radio stations enough here if you cant find pop and rock staions, two classical stations and an NPR staion ( dont know much about that one).

Again dont know how much Babel not showing in your neck of the woods ( it was playing in South Beach and Sunset, only two I know of), but most indies that are hyped are all released in Miami.

Again I have to go with Orlando being slightly less expensive and having a rapid growing job market for its appeal, because aside from that its your typical mid-sized city with more crime and slightly more traffic for a mid sized city.

I was a fly on the wall at the Crist meeting on 9/24 at the current Darden HQ with the regional big wigs. About this subject I feel I break no trust in commenting that the idea is to consolodate the current Darden campus plus many outlying Darden centers in Orlando into one area, with plans to expand the new campus. I was given to understand Crist had a hand in the incentives deal to make this thing a go.

For those who may be interested, the current Darden HQ has a GREAT view and is rather well appointed.

I was a fly on the wall at the Crist meeting on 9/24 at the current Darden HQ with the regional big wigs. About this subject I feel I break no trust in commenting that the idea is to consolodate the current Darden campus plus many outlying Darden centers in Orlando into one area, with plans to expand the new campus. I was given to understand Crist had a hand in the incentives deal to make this thing a go.

For those who may be interested, the current Darden HQ has a GREAT view and is rather well appointed.

is it in that multi-story tower at Orl. Central Park to the east of OBT?

is it in that multi-story tower at Orl. Central Park to the east of OBT?

Last time I was down there at Darden was about 8 years ago, but they were in multiple buildings all over the place. You turn west onto Oak Ridge from OBT and they are on Lake Ellenor to the south. It's around the fire station somewhere.

That list doesn't look right to me...

Cities I think are too high:

-Seattle

-Orlando

-Phoenix

-Denver

-Charlotte

Cities I think are too low:

-L.A.

-Miami

I find it hard to believe that more people would want to live *near* Charlotte than Miami. Likewise Orlando over Honolulu, L.A., Chicago, and Miami.

I'd move to Seattle in a heartbeat. Miami and LA do nothing for me (talk about sprawl). From an economic perspective, I think Orlando is much better situated than Miami. I don't know if Orlando will ever be a huge city, but I think it can certainly compete with the likes of Charlotte, Portland, Seattle, etc. Downtown Orlando does have a lot of close in neighborhoods that other larger cities don't have, we also have an incredible tree canopy.

I call that and raise you one Orlando Weekly article

So I assume that building on Orange Ave. the article speaks of is The Dolive.

I wonder how long it will sit there gutted and empty.

And I wonder if whoever he sells it to will adopt the same design.

One thing I really hate is when these developers get big ideas for a property that already has decent old buildings on it that house successful businesses, then close those businesses and either gut or demolish the buildings & then back out of the project leaving us with an empty lot for 25 years (like the one across from the courthouse) or now, an empty building that could still be housing bars and restaurants.

Don't start tearing stuff down until you know damn good and well you're going to follow through with the project!!!

You're just screwing the local residents out of what could've been several years of enjoyment of these places.

that article: it's right and wrong at the same time.

he has not given control over of the condo asso. yet; I have spoken with the co. doing the cinema buildout and other sources which confirm that once the deal is finalized, the cinema will open roughly 2-2.5 months later.

the units: PTP, LLC, backed out... that's true... but to my knowledge they have sold or leased a ginormous amount of space to a staffing company instead;

there are no directories in the lobby, but both towers have security. all the completed units have signage outside of their doors; units that are U/C have paper signs stating who's going there.

we were the first on our floor 5 months ago, but 2 months ago a second tenant moved in. last week a 3rd tenant moved in, and there are 2 more spaces building out and more than halfway done to complete the floor.

similar situation in both towers...

retail: Bento, Corona, Cold Stone-- doing buildout; Salon Elyse opened already. that's 2 retailers open as of last Monday.

NBC was televising that Mountain Dew-sponsored BMX deal hosted at Amway arena, on the south side of the arena, where they built bleachers in a N-S orientation from the steps of the arena to Livingston. It might be going on today as well.

I saw that last night when I went to see Marvin Hamlisch at Bob Carr - Centroplex was all abuzz :P

When I walked across the street from the Lymmo station and saw that going on in the O-rena parking lot, I was like, "WTF"?

Looked like something from the days when the Central Florida Fair was held there.