Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

So there's a GOP debate tonight here in Orlando.

Anyone surprised that Harris Rosen is the one hosting the Republicans?

I could be wrong on this since I work the other side of the aisle but my understanding is that Harris tends to look more after his own local interests than those broader afield. He has been more likely to prefer GOP commissioners (Ted Edwards, Bob Freeman, et al), but I also understand he has been throwing support Tiffany Moore's way (she's at least nominally a Democrat but after her performance on the venues, may be following the money).

that was really cool, the coverage they had on Fox from "Shingle Creek Resort in Orlando". Funny, they never said "Rosen's Shingle Creek..."

I think it would've been cooler if the venue was "Orange County Convention Center." that would've been even better press.

The fiscal conservatives probably didn't want to pay $15 to park over at the OCCC. Also you loose that opulant feeling.

Rosen throws money at/supports whoever will help him push his interests, he's not so much interested in parties.

His resort made a substantial amount of money from Presidency IV, so he would have been foolish not to host it. Regardless of his political views, it was a good business deal.

Edited by Go Gators

• 2 weeks later...

commentary:

I was at ESPN Club and met some Bostonians. They've been to WDW 4 times in 3 years. Got bussed in. Didn't know anything about downtown Orlando.

Amazing. All these Disney guest stuck in Disneyville never even see downtown. wow. too bad downtown isn't between OIA and WDW. That needs to change somehow.

Events perhaps. National coverage of events downtown perhaps--- Magic games-- maybe do a better job of marketing area businesses and amenities during commercial breaks... that's the only thing I can think of in the interim.

commentary:

I was at ESPN Club and met some Bostonians. They've been to WDW 4 times in 3 years. Got bussed in. Didn't know anything about downtown Orlando.

Amazing. All these Disney guest stuck in Disneyville never even see downtown. wow. too bad downtown isn't between OIA and WDW. That needs to change somehow.

Events perhaps. National coverage of events downtown perhaps--- Magic games-- maybe do a better job of marketing area businesses and amenities during commercial breaks... that's the only thing I can think of in the interim.

Disney doesnt want guests to EVER leave Disney except to go back home. They want them to spend all thier money at Disney owned properties. Disney killed Church St when they opened Downtown Disney and adult clubs. Try to get direct bus service approved by Disney from Disney hotels to Downtown. Never happen. They won't allow it.

Downtown has a restaurant and bar scene which is pretty expansive, which we all know. and that's w/o CCS in full operation.

I think the City should coincide the opening of CCS/55W and the PTP Cinema with a huge marketing campaign; get those floodlights working every night in that area;

maybe advertise thru GOAA at OIA some;

Downtown is ALIVE, like Kiss in 1976. All joking aside, people in sports bars at WDW need to know that downtown has alot to offer.

It's tough, though, b/c you also have I-Drive and Universal to contend with.

THe key is events... festivals, etc... Magic games and promos. THose few thousand out of towners who attend Magic games probably get a feel of what DT is all about... maybe, maybe not depending on whether they high-tail it onto I-4 right after a game.

Maybe DT businesses should do promotions for free meals, etc. to lure fans across the tracks...

Maybe DT businesses should do promotions for free meals, etc. to lure fans across the tracks...

When Pizzeria Uno's was downtown, they used to offer a personal size pizza and a beer for $5 on game nights (before the game). They had a billboard advertising the special downtown above I-4 to promote it. Ahh, the days of yore.

when was Uno's downtown and where was it?

Right in between where Howl at the Moon was and the Olive Garden at the bridge of Church Street Marketplace crossing over Church Street

I had been to that Uno's numerous times and I enjoyed eating there for lunch when I worked at the Suntrust Building

Ahhh...the memories......

• 3 weeks later...

i am a little confused here. does she own the house? if she doesnt and only rents it, why is her opposition to the plan news? she isnt even the property owner. is she going to want compensation to move just like what the handicapped veteren in parramore wanted?

since when are tenants entitled to such clout? i dont see any issue as long as the lease is finished. nobody is entitled to a renewed lease. if the owner wants to sell the property, they can sell it to anybody.

It's official, $300 million in bonds passed to build the venues

It's on track and coming along

Good times

http://www.local6.com/news/14697541/detail.html

http://www.wesh.com/news/14697754/detail.html

Cut and pasted directly from Orlando Sentinel :

"The tax-exempt bonds will be sold in increments of $1,000 and likely purchased in large blocks by investigators, Local 6's Todd Jurkowski said."

These must be some high quality bonds if the INVESTIGATORS are buying them up first!