Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

With that being said, downtown really need to step up with new museums and new retails. Miami has bayside, Jax has Jax Landing, Tampa has aqaurium and shopping area,...Orlando have nothing........

those retail venues in those other cities are cheese just by their very nature. Orlando's retail is actually imbedded within its downtown buildings. granted we could use more of it, but there's no comparison. CSS was the closest thing to a Bayside or Landing, but CSS is historic-- those other places are the ultimate example of a tourist trap.

Once the new arena opens, I think retail ala CSS as being a major hub of it will reall get rolling again.

those retail venues in those other cities are cheese just by their very nature. Orlando's retail is actually imbedded within its downtown buildings. granted we could use more of it, but there's no comparison. CSS was the closest thing to a Bayside or Landing, but CSS is historic-- those other places are the ultimate example of a tourist trap.

Once the new arena opens, I think retail ala CSS as being a major hub of it will reall get rolling again.

Agreed. I'd much rather have retail in ground level office buildings, it just has more character. Has anyone walked by the new clothing store by Siegels at night, that just has so much more appeal than a Gap in a brand new half empty DT mall. Church Street will be the new center of retail DT when the Arena and PAC open up.

i do think the "under the bridge" project (and i hope thats what they end up calling it) could have the potential of being an identifiable trait of downtown. if they do it right, it could be fairly unique.

^^

interesting points downtown:

1. Lake Eola Park, Bandshell, & Fountain-- not that many in the U.S. (lit fountains like that-- in fact, nowhere else in the SE)

2. Downtown bars/clubs-- seriously though, there aren't that many cities in the US with that kind of density in their CBD, and I mean the CBD, not some strip offshoot nearby.

3. Thornton Park neighborhood

4. Public Library-- largest in FLA for 20+ years until Jax opened theirs 2-3 years ago.

5. Orange County Courthouse-- one of the largest I've ever seen anywhere-- largest in SE

6. Church St. Sta.-- the original 6 buildings date as far back as the 1880's. Now, full of restaurants and bars/clubs.

7. Rogers Building

8. Orange Co. History Museum/ 2nd courthouse;

9. 3-4 historic church buildings

10. Emmanuel's on the 28th

11. Downtown Mini

12. House of Moves/ UCF School of Digital Arts

13. Dr. Phillips Center for Perf. Arts-- Orlando Ballet

14. Orlando Sentinel-- right downtown-- they should offer tours

15. Kress-Antigua row of establishments-- it's sort of unique in design/layout

this stuff may not necessarily be unique, but it proves that DT is just like that of any other US city, and not non-existent like many people tend to believe.

Not to get too far off subject, but...

I wonder if anyone has ever given much consideration to building a Niketown in downtown Orlando. They have one in several major cities (Miami, Chicago, NY, Boston) as well as their home town of Portland, OR. Wouldn

An even better idea - build on the growing media and game concentration going on in the city and create a museum of animation and game design. In fact... I think it would be really good to kind of let that become a corner stone of an anime district. Pick probably one of the more blah, run down sections, something that looks good with a lot of grafitti, but is actually not too unsafe. And then encourage a new mix of places - animation galleries, unique alternative clothing shops, cafes, etc. Let it develop it's own kind of funky mix of old and high-tech looks, don't get too worked up about it not being "Florida Pretty". IT kind of has to be city like, with funky lighting and a scurffy fell. I think that might even be a big boost for the city if you could get it going, to actually draw in those creative companies.

Well, Bulldogger's, block on Magnolia would be a good place to start with The Culture Mart and Redefine already there.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to get too far off subject, but...

I wonder if anyone has ever given much consideration to building a Niketown in downtown Orlando. They have one in several major cities (Miami, Chicago, NY, Boston) as well as their home town of Portland, OR. Wouldn

An even better idea - build on the growing media and game concentration going on in the city and create a museum of animation and game design. In fact... I think it would be really good to kind of let that become a corner stone of an anime district. ......IT kind of has to be city like, with funky lighting and a scurffy fell.

My question is "What is a 'scurffy fell' & do we really need one in Orlando?" :D

But seriously.... an anime district? <_<

How about a "Dungeons & Dragons" district while we're at it? :P

Edited by JFW657

Well, "scurfy" means a kind of rough, flakey surface. And "fell" is an old english word for rocky ledge or outcrop. So I guess I am saying we need a rock outcrop that is flaking.

It's amazing what you can find on the internet. Anyways, what I meant by a scruffy feel is that you can't gentrify it and expect it to have character. It just looks like new development. The trick is not to keep tearing old stuff down and build new stuff, it's to re purpose the old stuff. Don't tear down the Amway, reuse it. Turn it into a market place. Or a museum for big installation art.

As for an "anime" district, I am not talking a Disney neighborhood here. I am talking a kind of eclectic, hyper mix of neon and oriental influences. Something that really attracts the young creative kids in college. Not quite clean cut Disney, but certainly it's own world.

Use the Amway for all the neon signs Hugh McKean collected before he died and that the Morse has hiding in storage somewhere, and save the McNamara Pontiac sign before it's too late!

Well, "scurfy" means a kind of rough, flakey surface. And "fell" is an old english word for rocky ledge or outcrop. So I guess I am saying we need a rock outcrop that is flaking.

I would visit something like that all the time!!!! :thumbsup:

It's amazing what you can find on the internet. Anyways, what I meant by a scruffy feel is that you can't gentrify it and expect it to have character. It just looks like new development. The trick is not to keep tearing old stuff down and build new stuff, it's to re purpose the old stuff. Don't tear down the Amway, reuse it. Turn it into a market place. Or a museum for big installation art.

Couldn't agree more. Nothing more souless & lifeless than some of the new construction they build these days. I love the old seedy & worn looking elements of a city. Makes it feel real.

As for an "anime" district, I am not talking a Disney neighborhood here. I am talking a kind of eclectic, hyper mix of neon and oriental influences. Something that really attracts the young creative kids in college. Not quite clean cut Disney, but certainly it's own world.

That sounds cool, but also like something that would have to evolve on it's own kind of haphazardly. But with all the regulations in downtown from the DDB, it's doubtful that could happen. The DDB has to review & approve everything that goes on to the outside of any building including the paint color, signage & even the size, shape color & design of awnings. And nothing backlit. They don't like anything too bright or "flashy" looking. Hence, no neon. Shame. It's those people who keep our downtown looking boring.

well, some people don't believe in letting their cats outside. We're 'bad' cat owners b/c we let ours outside, as do our neighbors. Between the racoon population and the cats, we don't have any rat problems.

People who let their cats run around outside almost invariably become either former cat owners or dead cat owners eventually.

Unfortunately.

All cats become dead cats at some point... as do we. I let my cat in and out as he pleases. Sometimes, he drives me crazy like a kid that wants to come in and then go out to play, but that's his life. He seems happy. He stopped getting into fights with other cats when I cut his nutsack. He was pissed off at me for about 2 weeks. Can you blame him?

Either way, I don't let him out when it's getting late and he sleeps by me in bed every night. I've done this for his whole 12 1/2 years. He outlasted my dog, so I don't think there's anything bad about letting my cat outside. He gets the best of both worlds.

Crime Rate Up in Eola Heights

I just had my Giant bicycle stolen from my porch on Saturday in downtown Orlando. I was just inside sweeping my floor and when I go outside to sit outside on a chair on my porch, I notice something is missing. I've never dealt with this type of thing until the apartment I am currently renting. When I first moved into my current residence, I had an attempted break in on the very first weekend. The perp ran off when I yelled out. That was almost exactly a year ago. Happy Anniversary to me on my rental!!!! Yay!!! Take my fuc&ing bike from my porch!!!! I hope the person that stole my bike goes flying over the handlebars and does a face plant into a roundabout and loses all their teeth and then gets run over by a speeding drunk in an SUV and has his back broken.

OK. I think I got it out. It really sucks. That bike was worth 400 bucks plus about 200 in mods. Lesson for everyone: even if you rent, get renters insurance. I obviously don't have it or I wouldn't be so pissed off.

I just had my Giant bicycle stolen from my porch on Saturday in downtown Orlando. I was just inside sweeping my floor and when I go outside to sit outside on a chair on my porch, I notice something is missing. I've never dealt with this type of thing until the apartment I am currently renting. When I first moved into my current residence, I had an attempted break in on the very first weekend. The perp ran off when I yelled out. That was almost exactly a year ago. Happy Anniversary to me on my rental!!!! Yay!!! Take my fuc&ing bike from my porch!!!! I hope the person that stole my bike goes flying over the handlebars and does a face plant into a roundabout and loses all their teeth and then gets run over by a speeding drunk in an SUV and has his back broken.

OK. I think I got it out. It really sucks. That bike was worth 400 bucks plus about 200 in mods. Lesson for everyone: even if you rent, get renters insurance. I obviously don't have it or I wouldn't be so pissed off.

I just had my bike stolen also. Got lazy, left it near 2 others locked in my carport since I rode it about every day, then noticed it gone the other day when I was leaving the house.

Dammnit.

• 2 weeks later...

Biz Journal reported last week (I'm just catching up) that August 15th marked the ground breaking on Millenia Crossing next to IKEA which will include Nordstrom's Rack. Opening is anticipated for spring 2009.

if it looks anything like the Whole Foods plaza, it will be really nice.