Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Every now and then, our fair City takes a little step forward and becomes just a tad more cosmopolitan - I was glad to see this in today's Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...,0,802857.story

Sad story. I'm glad the city have taken steps to help stabilize and address the issues of that community.

Edited by BVLian

This week's Time Magazine did a favorable article on "Orlando for Grownups"

Excerpt: Sure, a lot of adults go to Orlando to indulge in creepy Disney nostalgia. (Grown men should not wear Mickey ears.) But there's another side to Orlando, a city with an opera company, two excellent museums and a busy, quirky nightlife. In an era when only the wealthy can afford an overseas plane ticket, when New York City is too expensive and "the new Vegas" now feels old, consider Orlando. This perpetual adolescent of a city is finally growing up.

Full Article

I walked past the old Kate O'Brien's on Central next to the old Bus Station over the weekend and there was a lot of activity going on inside the new Embers. The courtyard area looks amazing. I heard on the radio they spent $4 million on renovations. Here is an article from the Orlando Business Journal:

Embers to open this week

Some light amid all the heat over Lynx funding issues. Although the property tax, imho, is rarely the best way to go for funding (it's a political football), at least even Rich and the GOP are finally concluding a dedicated funding source is going to be required to move forward. Stay tuned - while I can see this moving forward for approval by the Orange commissioners, I'm not so sure about Seminole and Osceola. Voters in the three counties are a whole other kettle of fish - God help us if they don't put it on the ballot for a general election (if it's a special election or even a primary in most cases, the only folks who tend to vote are those most opposed to paying for anything).

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_poli...e-mayor-cr.html

Some light amid all the heat over Lynx funding issues. Although the property tax, imho, is rarely the best way to go for funding (it's a political football), at least even Rich and the GOP are finally concluding a dedicated funding source is going to be required to move forward. Stay tuned - while I can see this moving forward for approval by the Orange commissioners, I'm not so sure about Seminole and Osceola. Voters in the three counties are a whole other kettle of fish - God help us if they don't put it on the ballot for a general election (if it's a special election or even a primary in most cases, the only folks who tend to vote are those most opposed to paying for anything).

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_poli...e-mayor-cr.html

I'd prefer to see them use a 0.5 or 1 cent gas tax, seems like it's more appropriate as well as harder (maybe) to transfer somewhere else in the budget next year. But you're right, it's a good start. Now if someone will just step up to the plate to donate a million to Lynx which Orange County will apparently match. Disney and Universal should pay half if you ask me.

I'd prefer to see them use a 0.5 or 1 cent gas tax, seems like it's more appropriate as well as harder (maybe) to transfer somewhere else in the budget next year. But you're right, it's a good start. Now if someone will just step up to the plate to donate a million to Lynx which Orange County will apparently match. Disney and Universal should pay half if you ask me.

Why should private companies be directly responsible for providing public transportation? If anything, the City of Orlando/Orange County should create tax policies that are reflective of the demands of its citizenry.

Transportation is as basic of a need as shelter and the provision of it should be viewed as an implicit responsibility by Orange County and the City of Orlando.

I think the first three words of your post pretty much discredit any authority you have to speak on the matter.

My first three words maybe insensitive, but I stand by the rest of my remarks.

Next time attempt to approach a topic with some level of maturity. This is not High School.

My statement was towards an individual in that article who was a prostitue with a criminal record. If you feel sorry for him, thats your right. So lighten up with your political correctness.

I walked past the old Kate O'Brien's on Central next to the old Bus Station over the weekend and there was alot of activity going on inside the new Embers. The courtyard area looks amazing. I heard on the radio they spent $4 million on renovations.

The next DOP on September 18 will be hosted at Embers. I probably will check it out.