Metro Orlando Headlines

^^

the Mormons.

fascinating that the #1 cattle producer is in CFLA and the #1 horse or thoroughbred producer is Marion County which is just NW of CFLA metro area. who would've thought. cattle and horses. are we still #1 in citrus, or is CA?

FL is still the largest citrus producing state in the US (the industry has moved largely to areas in Polk and further south) but US production has been eclipsed by countries such as Brazil and China in recent years.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should give the panhandle to Alabama and Georgia.

Actually, until SCOTUS ruled for "one man, one vote" in the 1960s it was the other way 'round. Florida's rural Pork Chop Gang ruled the state for decades and starved fast-growing urban areas of much n

Orlando earns perfect score for LGBT equality   http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1233/article/p2p-81952416/   "This perfect score demonstrates the progress our community has made and vali

Posted Images

FL is still the largest citrus producing state in the US (the industry has moved largely to areas in Polk and further south) but US production has been eclipsed by countries such as Brazil and China in recent years.

China makes oranges? Do they even have the climate?

China makes oranges? Do they even have the climate?

http://www.abareonlineshop.com/PdfFiles/RR06.2.10.Citrus.pdf

"....China was the fourth largest citrus producer in the world in 2003..."

"...Citrus is predominantly grown across the southeast of China..."

Remember that China, like the U.S., is a large country spanning several temperate zones. Apparently the largest city in the region (at least that we insulated Americans may have heard of) is Chongqing.

We cover the world here at Urban Planet Orlando! :thumbsup:

Aren't the oranges in Florida called Valencia Oranges? I thought the history of oranges in Florida dates back to the Spanish settlers bringing them on their journeys to prevent scurvey?

We have many varieties of oranges here in Florida, including valencias, tangelos and those "spicy parson Browns" (as Bing Crosby used to say in the Minute Maid commercials). Citrus likely came to FL with the Spanish, but the Orange County citrus industry actually got its biggest initial boost from Englishman who settled the areas in the late 1800's. Like spaghetti, which came from China (supposedly via Marco Polo) and we now consider Italian, we sometimes forget that "globalization" was alive and well even in antiquity.

I read that Good Morning America is doing a show at the Church Street Station this Thursday?? It will be aired in the Cheyenne Saloon and out at Church Street Station. That will be sweet, I hope alot of people will come out.

"Good Morning America" is coming to Orlando's Church Street Station on Thursday, October 30th."Good Morning America" at Cheyenne Saloon will do half the show from inside the Cheyenne Saloon and the rest from outside. The program, which airs at 7 a.m. weekdays on WFTV-Channel 9, is asking fans to come out and be part of the audience.Coffee and bagels will be available at 6:15 a.m. Banners and Halloween costumes are welcome.

"Good Morning America" is coming to Orlando's Church Street Station on Thursday, October 30th."Good Morning America" at Cheyenne Saloon will do half the show from inside the Cheyenne Saloon and the rest from outside. The program, which airs at 7 a.m. weekdays on WFTV-Channel 9, is asking fans to come out and be part of the audience.Coffee and bagels will be available at 6:15 a.m. Banners and Halloween costumes are welcome.

Barack and Michelle Obama will be guest on the show according to the programming guide.

Sentinel also reporting that John Mellencamp will be performing:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertain...mellencamp.html

I think the Barack interview is prerecorded. a friend of mine said that John Cougar is live but they didn't say that Barack is live... He is in Kissimmee with Bill tonite at Heritage Park or whatever... can anyone confirm if he will be at GMA live? I'd go there b/c my office is 1 block a wiggity way.

nice!

i might show up just because. Hope there's a good crowd out

There were more signs advertising dessert lady and blufrog energy drinks than candidates. The crowd outside was rather small at around 8ish. I didnt go inside, so it may have been more. Good national exposure for sure though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from my 1-month Urban Planet suspension that was laid down upon me for copying news headlines and providing links to the articles. If I do it again, Mr. Monsoon the Moderator has said he will ban me, so I will probably be much less active in this thread....or at least I should be.

Watch out for the fuzz, all you news clippers.

^ Ah, I see. Well from what I gather, as long as one includes ones own commentary the post is legitimized. So while copy/paste the first couple of sentences followed by the link for the whole story (which personally I find helpful in focusing my daily reading, but oh well and la-dee-dah) is cause for censure, if you preface such post with something on the order of:

"A very good article by so-and-so points out the often overlooked facts and under the radar suppositions which make irreverent discussion more relevant and timely than one would otherwise be lead to believe. In this case, the points are cogent and while I could go on and on, I think so-and-so captured the essence better in his/her immutable style so I very much commend her/his work which can be found by following the following link:"

Perchance one may escape the wrath of the mighty wind. Of course I too came under scrutiny for suggesting all politics, even Presidential, is local.

I'm sure there are reasons for "the Rules", but as with all rules, one can always find ways to simultaneously follow and subvert them in maddening ways to the rule maker. I know this from personal experience as a FORMER middle and high school teacher, and therefore rule maker myself. One reason why that former is there. But at least I learned about rules from both sides. Well that and how to beat multiple choice tests (work towards a masters in educational assessment).

I hope to read more from you again bic.

^ Ah, I see. Well from what I gather, as long as one includes ones own commentary the post is legitimized. So while copy/paste the first couple of sentences followed by the link for the whole story (which personally I find helpful in focusing my daily reading, but oh well and la-dee-dah) is cause for censure, if you preface such post with something on the order of:

"A very good article by so-and-so points out the often overlooked facts and under the radar suppositions which make irreverent discussion more relevant and timely than one would otherwise be lead to believe. In this case, the points are cogent and while I could go on and on, I think so-and-so captured the essence better in his/her immutable style so I very much commend her/his work which can be found by following the following link:"

True, but after my last suspension I stopped including any snippets from the actual articles at all--not even 1 or 2 sentences--just the headlines and provided a link to the outside source. That's still against the rules. I only did it to spark discussion on this forum. I'm not going to read an article and paraphrase it like I'm writing an 8th grade book report on it just to share it with others on here. As much as I like being able to give people a heads up on topics and spark some conversation, it isn't worth my time to do that. I guess I'll have to play by the rules, as nonsensical they may be.