Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I'm all about being green so this is very exciting! Plus Orlando will get royalties from companies all over the world if this method is adopted. It's a win-win!

"Carbon dioxide could be sold to beverage companies..." gross to think about the life cycle as you sip on a soda. But then again, we currently spray the crap all over our food crops as "fertilizer" which is even worse because our treated waste sludge can still contain toxic chemicals, pathogens, and pharmaceuticals (hormones like estrogens, blood pressure medicaitions, antibiotics etc). Makes you wonder about the food borne illness outbreaks hmm.

Edited by LDG

First Presbyterian Church of Orlando may leave denomination over decision to ordain gays

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-first-presbyterian-church-20110511,0,1758022.story

This is an oddity of downtown I still haven't figured out; most downtown churches in other cities tend to be the more progressive, urban ones - that is not true of our mainline churches here in downtown Orlando (there are, of course, exceptions such as Broadway Methodist and First Unitarian, both located on the edge of the core.)

While these churches have often done good work in addressing homeless issues and First Methodist does allow the local P-FLAG chapter to meet there, there is a conservatism on other social issues that is hardly in keeping with the neighborhood's politics and general voting patterns. My guess is the concentration of retirement towers downtown may be one of the factors.

Edited by spenser1058

Doug Guetzloe jailed in 2006 election law violation case

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-doug-guetzloe-jailed-orange-county20110511,0,5381033.story

Perhaps no one in Orlando stalled progress on fronts such as rail, downtown development and general progress for the community as much as Doug Guetzloe and his "Ax the Tax" group, beginning in the 1980's. Finally, in the 2000s, many of Doug's ethical lapses (and his ability to scare local officials from taking more progressive stands) were outed and, at long last, justice is served. This is a day long delayed that augurs well for progress in the future here.

Disney taking its high paying jobs elsewhere: Disney opening new Cambridge research lab next month

A perfect example of why Orlando, and Florida, are at a disadvantage.

According to the article Disney already had a research lab there in Cambridge, they are increasing it's size, scope, visibility. I think this can be only good for Orlando, as while they have been building hotels and vacation clubs right and left the parks have been largely static over the last 10+ years while Universal has been much better with park innovation in that time. That WAS where Disney was king, time for them to step it up again!

Notice that in this interview Mr. Chatmon does not utter a word about the elephant in the downtown core - a glaring lack of retail. At least we now understand why there are no solutions forthcoming- the powers that be think the problem doesn't exist. In a 3rd term for Buddy, this simply has to be addressed.

Talking With … Thomas Chatmon: Downtown is looking up

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-talking-with-chatmon-20110522,0,1799441.story

Another good example of how Mayor Buddy Dyer is marking items off his downtown checklist as completed that others said had no means for resolution. The Linton Allen (poor Linton's name keeps being left off this) Centennial Fountain will keep its traditional look but everything else about the fountain and the sound system in the park is being upgraded to bring the park kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Great job!

Iconic Orlando fountain's rebirth takes shape

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/os-lake-eola-fountain-upgrade-20110522,0,4306998.story

A really nice shoutout for our downtown cineplex from Roger Moore:

Plaza Cinema Cafe’s new menu — cheaper and more varied than AMC’s Dine-In Theatre

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/2011/05/plaza-cinema-cafes-new-menu-cheaper-and-more-varied-than-amcs-dine-in-theatre.html

I might add that Cobb makes all the difference in the world as to how PCC runs - it shows that professionals are now in charge. Given the fate of several other downtown cinemas (St. Pete, we're looking at you), I'm very pleased with how things are going.

Edited by spenser1058

More Central Floridians are taking the bus

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-lynx-ridership-up-20110523,0,3650545.story

Ridership is set to beat the 2008 record. Perhaps best of all, it seems like the new Lynx chief, John Lewis, really "gets" transit. His moves since taking over have really breathed new life into Lynx. A strong bus system is key if rail is to ever stand a chance of working.

Edited by spenser1058

"Orlando is in an unofficial race with New York to become the first U.S. travel destination to draw 50 million visitors in a single year. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced earlier this year that the Big Apple drew 48.7 million visitors in 2010. The Bloomberg administration set a goal in 2007 of reaching 50 million by 2012."

Stay tuned: the press conference is at 12:30pm.

The numbers are in!

"Orlando's tourism-promotion bureau said more than 50 million visitors came to the Orlando area last year -- a record number.

The official tally from Visit Orlando was 51.5 million visitors, the first time the region has topped the 50-million mark.

The 2010 total is more than the previous record of 49.3 million people who flocked to the Orlando area in 2005.

The figures also gave Orlando the edge on tourism rival New York, both of whom hoped to become the first U.S. travel destination to draw 50 million visitors in a year. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced earlier this year that the Big Apple drew 48.7 million visitors in 2010. The Bloomberg administration set a goal in 2007 of reaching 50 million by 2012."

Orlando hosted 'record-breaking' number of visitors for 2010

The numbers are in!

"Orlando's tourism-promotion bureau said more than 50 million visitors came to the Orlando area last year -- a record number.

The official tally from Visit Orlando was 51.5 million visitors, the first time the region has topped the 50-million mark.

The 2010 total is more than the previous record of 49.3 million people who flocked to the Orlando area in 2005.

The figures also gave Orlando the edge on tourism rival New York, both of whom hoped to become the first U.S. travel destination to draw 50 million visitors in a year. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced earlier this year that the Big Apple drew 48.7 million visitors in 2010. The Bloomberg administration set a goal in 2007 of reaching 50 million by 2012."

Orlando hosted 'record-breaking' number of visitors for 2010

Thank you, praha, for posting these very enlightening numbers. But it does beg the question: if these numbers were in the hopper, and if Teresa Jacobs is the great practitioner of dotting her i's and crossing her t's that she's portrayed as, why exactly was she playing poor-mouth about the TDT at a critical juncture? Inquiring minds would certainly like to know, although I suspect we've already covered the answer previously. Fascinating.

The Orlando Weekly is reporting that UCF is meeting Thursday to consider providing PBS programming via WUCF. After the WMFE debacle (I am going to be civilized and not offer my thoughts on Jose Fajardo), WUCF likely could make the flagship PBS affiliate much stronger. They have already been doing some awesome local programming online and via low-power WBCC that we could only dream about on Channel 24. From a deep dark storm in public broadcasting, a potential silver lining that could be a major plus for the community!

PBS R.I.P.?

http://orlandoweekly.com/news/pbs-r-i-p-1.1151663?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4ddc34864b58f8b3%2C0

Edited by spenser1058

Good news from KSC - the primary office working on commercial crews for the private rockets going into space will be at KSC. This "ensures that KSC will be the future hub of private rocket activity," and keeps the central Florida region at the forefront of one of our most unique assets: access to space. Advantage: Orlando!

NASA preparing to put astronauts on commercial rockets

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-nasa-private-crews-conference-20110524,0,1656930.story

• Like 1

Goodness, when things start moving, they just hit hyperdrive:

Expressway, state reach deal to build Wekiva Parkway

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-wekiva-parkway-deal-20110524,0,98970.story

I don't understand this at all. Why are they building it? The only reason is so there is a circle around Orlando. The reason given by the pro side is that it will complete a loop that allows traffic to go around the Orlando core instead of dealing with the gridlock of downtown Orlando. It's a bypass. I get that concept, but the ability to bypass downtown Orlando is already in place if you go the other direction to the East. You don't need a circle to go on a path. The local politicians are fighting to get this done when there is no apparent need. The only reason you may NEED to have the loop on the West side of town is to improve the ability for developers on that side of town. Stop selling the "beltway" theory. It isn't about people going around the city, it is about the possibility of milking local drivers out of toll money.

I just went to Wekiva Springs this past Sunday and I don't even want to think about what may happen with construction rolling through this beautiful wetland.