Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Rupert Murdoch In Market For Acquisitions Again

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/business/media/news-corporation-looks-at-potential-acquisitions.html?hp

I went "eeeek!" because among his potential targets is the Chicago Tribune, which of course owns our dearly beloved Orlando Slantinel. Imagine Rupert in control of Scott Maxwell!

Lake officials hold firm on restrictions against west Orange airport expansion

http://www.orlandose...0,7301957.story

I'm delightfully surprised to see the normally pro-development Lake County Commission holding the line against this very bad idea. Lake Apopka has the potential to once again be the jewel of a resurgent West Orange/Lake County ecotourist economy, if they don't let a bunch of Chamber of Commerce bubbas proceed with this unnecessary airport (which actually has less to do with an airport and more to do with land development.)

Edited by spenser1058

Economic development office looks for the Orlando “brand.”

http://freelinemedia...do-brand/14527/

If we're going to brand Orlando, what will it be?

‘”We need a brand that the whole region can rally around,” Kern said. “We need to find our identity as a city.”

Region or City? They aren't mutually exclusive but the problem is that we have competition within our region. Things like SunRail might help show "all roads lead to Orlando" but I can't see the attractions area willing to play ball on this marketing approach.

Now that Hostess is liquidating, I wonder what becomes of the Merita sign. Another big chunk of Orlando history may be headed for extinction. *sigh* Hopefully, at the very least, the folks at the Morse Museum will add it to their neon collection.

Altamonte office tower still unfinished after decade of slow progress

http://www.orlandose...0,3498732.story

And still we wait for the completion of God's Tower!

Edited by spenser1058

It's officially Christmas Downtown with the hanging of the star!

http://instagram.com/p/SLJr6pusPG/

(Thanks to The Daily City)

Also, if you don't know the history of the star, here's a great little video from the City on YouTube. There are two great stories here; first, the creation of the star by Orlando's version of Macy and Gimbels, Ivey's and Dickson Ives in the 1950's and secondly, the move to return the star in the 1980's by Jack Kazanzas (I knew Jack and he was one of the city's greatest boosters ever).

It's not even Advent yet.... Lord y'all's like 5 weeks early for Christmas.

Hold on a second there - was this a self-proclaimed art piece? It's a very nice looking bus stop.

If they were holding a press conference about their new ambitious stop, I think the criticism would be deserved. (Aimed at the Daily City more than you spenser).

Looking in the background of that photo, I don't know if it would be a great place for art anyway. This doesn't look like an urban area.

Hipsters were into artsy bus stops before artsy bus stops were cool.

The Daily City seems to be in a competition with the Orlando Weekly for the title of "Snarkier Than Thou."

Don't know how much a bus stop costs? Why it's designed the way it is? Pick up a freakin' phone and call Lynx and ask. Then write about it. And perhaps propose some alternatives.

I saw amazing bus stops in Santa Fe. Simply breathtaking.

While these new Lynx bus stops are plain, they are far superior to the brightly colored, tin-roof clad stops they had been constructing. Those looked and functioned terribly.

I do recall reading in the Sentinel that the bus stops must be able to withstand certain hurricane conditions (Category 2 winds, or something to that effect).

• Like 1

Hold on a second there - was this a self-proclaimed art piece? It's a very nice looking bus stop.

If they were holding a press conference about their new ambitious stop, I think the criticism would be deserved. (Aimed at the Daily City more than you spenser).

Looking in the background of that photo, I don't know if it would be a great place for art anyway. This doesn't look like an urban area.

Actually, it's across from the GAI Building, so about as urban as we get these days.

Hipsters were into artsy bus stops before artsy bus stops were cool.

The Daily City seems to be in a competition with the Orlando Weekly for the title of "Snarkier Than Thou."

Don't know how much a bus stop costs? Why it's designed the way it is? Pick up a freakin' phone and call Lynx and ask. Then write about it. And perhaps propose some alternatives.

I saw amazing bus stops in Santa Fe. Simply breathtaking.

While these new Lynx bus stops are plain, they are far superior to the brightly colored, tin-roof clad stops they had been constructing. Those looked and functioned terribly.

I do recall reading in the Sentinel that the bus stops must be able to withstand certain hurricane conditions (Category 2 winds, or something to that effect).

I do agree it's much more functional than the version with the round tops that reminded me of old Mobil stations but I wonder if there's not a happy medium of practical and creative.

• Like 1

I do agree it's much more functional than the version with the round tops that reminded me of old Mobil stations but I wonder if there's not a happy medium of practical and creative.

The round-topped ones are just so horrible. Ugh. Terrible, terrible. And the bright colors. Egads.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Better-looking stops would be great. But, I'd take plainer-look covered stations if it meant getting more of them. Who wants to stand at an uncovered bus stop during the summer heat (or in the middle of a summer shower)?

• Like 1

With regard to Lynx, it's amazing how things go back and forth. Up until the 80's, everything they did (and their predecessor, privately-owned Orlando Transit) was institutional blah.

Then they hired Paul Skoutelas, one of the country's most high-profile transit guys. He, in tandem with the Orlando Chamber's Jake Stuart, tried to do a number of things to bring attention to the bus system with an eye towards eventually upgrading to rail. Of course, Jake kept veering further and further to the right politically and Paul Skoutelas jumped ship after it became clear the oh-so-Republican powers that be in Orange County weren't willing to invest in transit.

Of course now Orange County has been declared a "liberal county" as a result of the last couple of presidential elections by the national news media and, after a series of mediocre Lynx leaders, the new CEO, John Lewis is moving things forward again. And, of course, Buddy jumped on the SunRail bandwagon which helped immensely.

So it's funny to remember the hot pink roof on the old bus station (where OFD Station 1 now is) and the buses totally wrapped in attention-grabbing ads when they were trying to get some buzz with no money and now that transit is finally being taken seriously it's ok to build bus shelters in 70's style earth-tones. Maybe this is all just to show us that Lynx has come of age. We'll just call it the "bus zeitgeist."

• 2 weeks later...
World of Beer signs lease by Lake Eola

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-real-estate-beer-1210-20121209,0,3789437.story

It's finally official - I think WOB matches the demographic well and though it's a bit casual for the space has a good chance of sticking, imho. Now we just need to get a replacement for Alta Moda at Parkside and finish the Pure space (anyone know why that's taking so long?) to have a full complement along Central (except the empty space at the corner of Rosalind). For Thornton Park, anyway, the recession seems to be in the rear-view mirror.

World of Beer signs lease by Lake Eola

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-real-estate-beer-1210-20121209,0,3789437.story

It's finally official - I think WOB matches the demographic well and though it's a bit casual for the space has a good chance of sticking, imho. Now we just need to get a replacement for Alta Moda at Parkside and finish the Pure space (anyone know why that's taking so long?) to have a full complement along Central (except the empty space at the corner of Rosalind). For Thornton Park, anyway, the recession seems to be in the rear-view mirror.

Very cool. From my understanding, the delay consisted of Downtown's requirement of establishments on the lake to utilize a full kitchen. Good to see them clearing it up and moving forward. Another win for the CBD.

Very cool. From my understanding, the delay consisted of Downtown's requirement of establishments on the lake to utilize a full kitchen. Good to see them clearing it up and moving forward. Another win for the CBD.

New art installation by the city in the round a bout required some fire code changes with the outdoor patio. Opening in March or so.

• 1 month later...

As Beth Kassab has discovered, NIMBYs are so 1999 in The City Beautiful.... now the problem is, um, NIMFYs:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-beth-kassab-front-yard-garden-20130111,0,50649.column

Also, a note on the transition coming at WDW:

George Kalogridis, a hometown boy made good, will take over from Meg Crofton Feb. 1 as president of the Walt Disney World Resort. He began as a busboy in 1971 at the Contemporary (he's from Winter Haven). Also, in a nod to our increasing diversity, he will likely be one of the highest-ranking gay executives in the region.

Given his background, I think George will likely do a lot to bring the Florida parks up to the same A+ condition Disneyland has achieved under his stewardship, so this is a very good thing. I don't know that he's had close ties to the business community outside WDW like Meg Crofton, however (who is relocating to Burbank), so we may see Disney's focus going more internal for a bit. It's going to be interesting to watch.

Edited by spenser1058

Residents flood city hall to preserve Mount Dora's "quaint" downtown

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/os-lk-mount-dora-five-story-buildings-20130113,0,4618540.story

I found this story interesting as a contrast to other small towns in the region that came to other conclusions. Both Winter Garden and Kissimmee have significant historic districts like Mount Dora's, but they seem to be more willing to do what it takes to move forward as communities and not to be stuck in time as period-piece bedroom communities. Whether it's WG's decision to fight the NIMBYs and approve a new 7-story hospital or the new columbarium downtown (plus a refreshing general attitude to think out side the box about ways to grow the local economy in sync with the town's history and strengths) or Kissimmee's active efforts in creating a transportation hub in town, it presents a stark contrast to what is happening in Mount Dora.

I don't have facts on this but I suspect both Kissimmee and WG have younger populations than Mount Dora, but one also has to look at the quality of one's elected leaders. Lake County, of course, tends to attract older, more conservative residents and I suppose one could say this is just a case of self-selection and the politicians are doing what the residents want. Whether this is a sound strategy for the future of the community seems to me an open question, however.

As Beth Kassab has discovered, NIMBYs are so 1999 in The City Beautiful.... now the problem is, um, NIMFYs:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-beth-kassab-front-yard-garden-20130111,0,50649.column

Condescension and snark, the last refuges for hack columnists. Mass transit and LEED certified arenas are now considered low hanging eco fruit? Too cute by half.

Anyway, I am glad to see the city is addressing its codes. We waste too much water on our lawns (myself included) and non-native plantings. I think there are effective solutions that are a good compromise between protecting the environment and neighborhood property values (even for the unfortunate souls that live next to I-4, Ms. Kassab).