Professional Sports in Birmingham

Blazer85

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad we, as a city, are starting to "push the envelope" by thinking outside of the box. However, our leaders still don't possess the testicular fortitude need to guide Birmingham into greatness. For instance, this NBA idea proposed by Langford sounds great but, in reality, is nothing more than another civic bank Birmingham can use to sell itself short.

Why? Because a 40,000 seat dome that can be converted into a basketball arena is asinine. It still doesn't address the problem we've been trying to solve since MAPS. How about we set out on true "plan B" by outlining our goals and coming up with realistic AND pratical ways of achieving them.

For instance, why not build a new arena (if, and only if an NBA would committ to relocating) adjacent to the BJCC to replace the former one, move ahead with the entertainment district, then use the revenue (assuming there will be some) to construct the dome stadium? Hell, we might even have enough money by then to build one with a retractable roof.

I'm glad we, as a city, are starting to "push the envelope" by thinking outside of the box. However, our leaders still don't possess the testicular fortitude need to guide Birmingham into greatness. For instance, this NBA idea proposed by Langford sounds great but, in reality, is nothing more than another civic bank Birmingham can use to sell itself short.

Why? Because a 40,000 seat dome that can be converted into a basketball arena is asinine. It still doesn't address the problem we've been trying to solve since MAPS. How about we set out on true "plan B" by outlining our goals and coming up with realistic AND pratical ways of achieving them.

For instance, why not build a new arena (if, and only if an NBA would committ to relocating) adjacent to the BJCC to replace the former one, move ahead with the entertainment district, then use the revenue (assuming there will be some) to construct the dome stadium? Hell, we might even have enough money by then to build one with a retractable roof.

There is no need to build a new arena when you can just fix the BJCC Arena. The biggest problem involving NBA franchise owners constant desire for a "new" arena when the existing ones should just be fixed. That was the root of the problem involving the The Hornets when it was in Charlotte. The owner wanted a new arena when he should have just gotten Charlotte to renovate and expand the Charlotte Collesium. Because new arenas really don't boost fan attendence like owners think, hints once again look at Charlotte. New arena, but still low attendence.

The solution to the facility to our situation is to just get the BJCC Arena its much need upgrades. The BJCC Board already has $250-$300 million in the bank for facilty upgrades and renovation, but they keep hoping that the Jeffco Commission is going to give them another $30 million over another 15 years. They need to stop sitting on that money and just gut and upgrade the BJCC Arena to NBA standards and ask Regions to give naming rights to the facility. Once that end of the bargin is settled the investors of this potential relocation or expansion franchise of the NBA will likely invest into bring a NBA team to this market.

I don't think just renovating the old facility is going to work. The owners want new arenas primarily for the luxury boxes, club levels, and other perks that they can offer to their higher margin customers, not just because they are nicer. The BJCC likely simply could not be renovated sufficiently to do this. They don't get rich off of the $10 per seat family packs. Their profits come primarily from corporate/big money support - not unlike our pals in T-town and Auburn. Would Bham have this kind of support? Anyone willing to pay $500 to $1000 for a courtside seat?

I have a little fear that this is just the next "magic bullet" that will be discussed for years.

It seems like Birmingham would be a marginal market. The Memphis Grizzlies are hemorrhaging money and despite a terrible record are expected to slash their payroll before next season. They may even be under new ownership before long. That's largely blamed on the market size and income and B'ham wouldn't beat Memphis out in these.

It seems like Birmingham would be a marginal market. The Memphis Grizzlies are hemorrhaging money and despite a terrible record are expected to slash their payroll before next season. They may even be under new ownership before long. That's largely blamed on the market size and income and B'ham wouldn't beat Memphis out in these.

Honestly, Leonard, I don't believe the BJCC would get the best bang for their buck if they attempted to renovate the current arena. While I'm no structural engineer (although I do have architectural experience), I find it hard to believe that the coliseum's layout would allow for such a conversion -- at least one that wasn't cost prohibitive. A better use of money, in my opinion, would be to build a new arena that could be comparable in scale and cost to other recently-built arenas suitable for NBA use. And I wouldn't be too concerned about space for such a facility. While the complex is somewhat landlocked there is adequate adjacent space for a new basketball venue.

That's the beauty of it all... They're not a government entity -- they're a completely separate board. Which, is one of the reasons I support the full expansion seeing as how Birmingham and Jefferson County, for the most part, will only be asked to finance (and not run) the project.

I'm only going to ask questions on this because I know nothing about it, but how is the BJCC not connected to the government, yet it can collect hotel/rental taxes from the area? I'm sure other theaters, venues, etc. would love to get their hands on some of this money. The BJCC has to be connected to the government, somehow...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived