T ridership levels at decade low

Cotuit

T ridership reaches low point of decade

Improvements eyed as draw

By Lucas Wall, Globe Staff {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} August 1, 2005

Ridership on the T during the first half of this year hit its lowest level this decade, counter to a national trend of increased transit use as the economy recovers from the 2001 recession and terrorist attacks.

Continue reading at: Boston.com

Tridership.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting...subway down but commuter rail and bus is up.  Do they count the silver line as subway or bus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bus. And we've seen the Worcester commuter rail added during those years, and possibly others I'm not thinking of... Stoughton?

So basically all transit ridership is down.

Depressing...

I took the T from Riverside to the Redline on Wed during rush hour, and it certainly didnt look like less ridership. The redline outbound was packed to a point where trains were waiting in stations sometimes up to 5 minutes for people to clear out of doors. During the time I was in boston, evan the non rush hour ridership looked good.

I wonder how much the bustitution on the orange line (north) and red line (south, Ashmont branch) is to blame.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where was the OL bustituted? It's quite possible that this exacerbated the problm, but the central problem already existed IMO. If not for expansions, bus and commuter rail ridership would be overall lower.

Where was the OL bustituted? It's quite possible that this exacerbated the problm, but the central problem already existed IMO. If not for expansions, bus and commuter rail ridership would be overall lower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/transitupd...rangeLineSignal

"Orange Line signal work began Tuesday, March 1st, 2005.

"This requires a one-track operation between Haymarket and Sullivan Stations from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM, as well as bus replacement service from 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM between Sullivan and Oak Grove Stations.

"For approximately 8 months, MBTA contractors have early access to the Orange Line, Sunday through Thursday evenings, from 9:00 PM through the end of service each night. During this time, buses are available to transport passengers between Sullivan and Oak Grove Stations."

I think one of the MBTA documents says that this project, done in phases, will take a total 4 years. Oy!

• 6 months later...

Archived