Gangs in Northern New England

pvenne

"Gangs were unheard of in Vermont. Unfortuantely, this is no longer the case. Just last month, the Vermont Corrections Commissioner reported significant increases in gang activity occurring in Vermont's prisons. There are also reports that franchises of the "Los Solidos" gang have set up shop in Rutland, and the "La Familia" gang has moved into St. Johsnbury..."

article in full

History

The Tiny Rascal Gangsters, also known as the Tiny Rascal Gang or Tiny Rascals, was created in California during the middle 1980's. It was formed by Cambodian youth gang members and is presently considered the largest Asian Street gang in the United States.

Development

On the East Coast, Tiny Rascal Gangsters are engaged in a variety of criminal activity throughout Connecticut, Portland (Maine), Lowell Massachusetts), Brattleboro (Vermont) and in the New Hampshire Prison System.

full page

on the los solidos gang: "Recently, this gang has been migrating to Massachusetts, New York, New Hampshire, Maine and Pennsylvania because of the highly successful RICO convictions..."

full article

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That article is from 1997?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh, im not sure. is it? i just post things that are on my long list of usually unlooked at favorites...i know there are plenty of wannabes in burlington, but it was interesting to hear about those in the smaller towns. i was once outside of the buirlington towncenter (a mall on shurch street) and this group of thugs with blue bandanas over their faces like a western movie were all standing in the way of the door and then made a comment to my girlfriend and i was told not to mess with them cause they were crips. i couldnt make heads or tales of this, so i just add it to my collection of crazy vermont stories to tell people.

^ Well it says 1997 at the top.

And there are no REAL gangs in vermont, so dont be scared.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, i suppose a "un-real" gang member could injure or kill someone just as easily as long as they were carrying a "real" gun or knife. it gets a little grey when you start defining whats real and whats not. i noticed you were most active in providence, so i assume this is where you are from; i can see why you wouldnt think vermont gangs are real, but times are changing and gang activity isnt confined to the inner city anymore, believe it or not. i can think of more than one gang related homicide that has hit too close for comfort in the lives of my friends and family members, and im from maine, so...

more"I was a neighbor of the working-poor in Portland, Maine, where the Cambodian and Vietnamese gangs ran rampant in the mid-1990s..." this was a quote from some racist talking trash about immigration policies and their effects, but nevertheless it brings the point home about gangs in smaller cities...the1990s were a rough time for portland.

feel stupid pasting this page cause i dont agree with the stuff that the man who said this particular quote is saying on it, but here it is anyway to prove i didnt make it up...

"Police and city officials are worried that a number of shots fired last week in Kennedy Park is a new display of gang violence in Portland..."

Don't let gangs get a foothold in Portland

"PORTLAND

well, i suppose a "un-real" gang member could injure or kill someone just as easily as long as they were carrying a "real" gun or knife.  it gets a little grey when you start defining whats real and whats not.  i noticed you were most active in providence, so i assume this is where you are from; i can see why you wouldnt think vermont gangs are real, but times are changing and gang activity isnt confined to the inner city anymore, believe it or not.  i can think of more than one gang related homicide that has hit too close for comfort in the lives of my friends and family members, and im from maine, so...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well they can hurt you, but im saying dont be scared if someone says they will get the crips after you.

And I also know people in brooklyn, so I just dont see vermont as such a dangerous place.

The 2 times I was there I didnt see anything dangerous. I know thats not a lot of time, but I was supposedly in the poverty area of vermont....(which is usually the dangerous parts of most places)

Well they can hurt you, but im saying dont be scared if someone says they will get the crips after you.

And I also know people in brooklyn, so I just dont see vermont as such a dangerous place.

The 2 times I was there I didnt see anything dangerous.  I know thats not a lot of time, but I was supposedly in the poverty area of vermont....(which is usually the dangerous parts of most places)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, no, you are totally right...i agree a hundred percent that vermont is not a dangerous place, i was just playing devils advocate. its funny cause one of the nicest people i know at school (U. vermont) is from brooklyn, and he has no attitude, yet these burlington kids think they are the toughest thing since, well, since ever...

crips, schmips, i wasnt too afraid cause the kids were all 4-5 years younger than me and looked about as dangerous as a safety belt...but it was a site i will never forget...especially cause it was in vermont. i agree with everything you have said.

^ Well of course there are nice people in brooklyn lol, but its still a rough place.

And most small towns are like that, all the kids think they are in gangs but if they ever get into something with a real gang they scramble and cry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL

i know it is a rough place, but kinda ironic that one of the nicest people i know is from there, seems a bit backwards, ya know...when all the buirlington kids act all hard.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a corrections officer in Southern Vermont who has heard of a newly forming prison gang going by the name of ACG standing for "anyone can get it". If you have any information regarding this outfit please respond. The info could potentially save many of us from injury or worse.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

That is almost amusing, gangs in N. New England! In the Atlanta suburbs there have been numerous drive by shootings and assualts and in the city itself a man was actually pulled from his truck and almost beaten to death. If Northern New England has any gang activity I am sure it is mostly non violent.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived