Businesses I would like to see Downtown

ChadKRagland

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No...you are right....I like The Globe.....loved the Kit Kat Club too.....

I was referring more to Hue....and the like....

Gotcha... I totally understand that.

I too miss Yab Yum and the Kit Kat Klub. At least there's a 'Billiards' sign on the side of the Globe paying homage to it. Let's give the DMAC Natura a chance. I was there last night and they have potential. Cafe' Britt (what they serve bean wise) isn't so bad. Problem is the derelicts at night. I was there last night and was followed around by a drunken derelict who kept touching the paintings and followed my friend and me out about 30-minutes later--- he then pushed his "friend" (another derelict asking us for money) into the wall and in doing so pushed my friend into the wall.

They're going to have to do something to keep derelicts out of there, otherwise it's going to be a crap-hole, especially if they shower or bathe in the bathroom.

I miss the Yab Yum. Sugar Candy on a stick to swirl around your cappuccino. I'm afraid that downtown is gone forever.

My first date in Orlando was to Yab Yum. I had moved down from Philadelphia and asked a girl out. Upon picking her up I stopped at my new bank to get some money out of the teller. After placing my card in the machine I hit my usual pin number... wrong number. I wondered if I hit the wrong number, so I entered the pin again.... wrong number again. I thought for a minute, then entered another number that I use every once in a while... wrong number again. Sorry, we can't help you, we're taking your card. The thing swallows my card and I have $12 in my wallet for the night. Instead of asking the girl to pay, I try and see how far I can make my $12 go in Orlando. So we went to Yab Yum and listened to some crazy open-mic people and had a couple cups of coffee. Turned out great...

My first date in Orlando was to Yab Yum. I had moved down from Philadelphia and asked a girl out. Upon picking her up I stopped at my new bank to get some money out of the teller. After placing my card in the machine I hit my usual pin number... wrong number. I wondered if I hit the wrong number, so I entered the pin again.... wrong number again. I thought for a minute, then entered another number that I use every once in a while... wrong number again. Sorry, we can't help you, we're taking your card. The thing swallows my card and I have $12 in my wallet for the night. Instead of asking the girl to pay, I try and see how far I can make my $12 go in Orlando. So we went to Yab Yum and listened to some crazy open-mic people and had a couple cups of coffee. Turned out great...

Good story. Way to save the day..

Coffee shops are always what make a downtown a downtown. Go to NYC today and EVERYTHING is Starbuck's. There used to be Chock Full O Nuts (the coffee I use at home...very good). Downtown Orlando has to have a place for coffee though (even Jax has several in with cafes).

Coffee shops are always what make a downtown a downtown. Go to NYC today and EVERYTHING is Starbuck's. There used to be Chock Full O Nuts (the coffee I use at home...very good). Downtown Orlando has to have a place for coffee though (even Jax has several in with cafes).

Tea seems to be becoming big over here as well. I would like to see something similar to Tatame' open downtown or if they opened another branch. I cannot wait for Dandelion Communitea Cafe to open, however it would be much more convenient for an evening if placed downtown. Just my 2-cents.

....how about a real, live, non-Starbucks, non-Barnie's coffee house ... with fresh ground, free trade beans and an ashtray on every table.... like the old Yab Yum.

The Coffee House in Thorton Park is nice... not a Yab Yum, but much better than your run-of-the-mill Starbucks....

• 5 months later...

Though this isn't in Orlando, I saw this design going in Atlanta near the Georgia Aquarium and thought "wow, a design of a mid-price hotel like this with bottom level retail and casual dining would fit in very nicely downtown."

What do you think?

ParkPavilion.jpg

3.jpg

Isn't Capital Plaza III along those lines? As far as additional businesses desired in the CBD/Downtown/Uptown, I would imagine that the DDB has a fund that will enable entrepreneurs to open up businesses. Small businesses are the backbone of any urban environment and while its nice to have Kuhm, and Ustler building mega projects, its equally important that the tenants for these projects be assisted.

Though this isn't in Orlando, I saw this design going in Atlanta near the Georgia Aquarium and thought "wow, a design of a mid-price hotel like this with bottom level retail and casual dining would fit in very nicely downtown."

What do you think?

ParkPavilion.jpg

3.jpg

Isn't this more or less what the Westin Grand Bohemian is and was designed to be in the 1st place?

I gotta think that once the new PAC and the rest of City Commons is completed as well as PTP and 55W, Westin Grand Bohemian might very well elevate to this stature

I agree with the prior thread, would be awesome if Cap Plaza III became this

Very trendy indeed

McDonald's and Wendy's. Not that I'm so anxious to eat there, but every major city I've ever been to always has those two downtown. You don't have a major league downtown until you've got them. Plus, it would be nice to be able to pop in off Orange Ave. and grab a Frosty.

Oh, and a Dunkin Donuts!!!! And a Baskin Robbins!!!

I would also like to see the return of some of the kinds of retail that used to be downtown. A couple of dept. stores, a drugstore or two, maybe a couple of cheesy electronics stores.

And more convenience stores. Does anyone remember the 7-11 that used to be on the corner of Magnolia & Central across from the library? That was a handy place. Bought lunch there many a time.

McDonald's and Wendy's. Not that I'm so anxious to eat there, but every major city I've ever been to always has those two downtown. You don't have a major league downtown until you've got them. Plus, it would be nice to be able to pop in off Orange Ave. and grab a Frosty.

Oh, and a Dunkin Donuts!!!! And a Baskin Robbins!!!

I would also like to see the return of some of the kinds of retail that used to be downtown. A couple of dept. stores, a drugstore or two, maybe a couple of cheesy electronics stores.

And more convenience stores. Does anyone remember the 7-11 that used to be on the corner of Magnolia & Central across from the library? That was a handy place. Bought lunch there many a time.

Get a franchise license JFW. I'm sure that McD's and Wendy's would love to have an avid fan expand upon the brand. I personally would like to see a Nature's table in an urban location. Homegrown and healthy.

Get a franchise license JFW. I'm sure that McD's and Wendy's would love to have an avid fan expand upon the brand. I personally would like to see a Nature's table in an urban location. Homegrown and healthy.

I'm with you on wanting something a little more healthy.

There's a nature's Table in the 'new' 5th / 3rd Building (by the swans on Lake Eola). Also, the deli located inside of the Colonial Bank building has a nice salad bar.

As far as businesses I'd like to see: how 'bout a record shop! There's a good one on Corine by Stardust, but downtown can (will) be able to support it's own..

As far as businesses I'd like to see: how 'bout a record shop! There's a good one on Corine by Stardust, but downtown can (will) be able to support it's own..

ok. i officially add a park av. cds AND a stardust. then hipsters could hop from dmac to park av to stardust and then the social, eventually re-opening a yabyum (but hopefully not also reverting to laying out in front of it, making out with each other). and the next day stand in line for star wars episode 17 at the fancy movie theaters.

Nature's Table has 3 locations in downtown.

The Wachovia at 800 N. Magnolia.

The 5th 3rd on Robinson and Rosalind.

The Orange County Library on Central.

I know that those exist, but those locations always seemed like amenities for the office workers in those buildings. I used to work in the 5th 3rd building. I was thinking like flagship Orange Avenue location.

Oh, I don't want to own one, I'd just like to see their presence downtown. Downtown Orlando has a fairly long history of health food joints. I remember a place called "The Garden Patch" that was directly behind Woolworth's and next to the SAC Comedy Theatre. I used to go there for their Columbo frozen yogurt way back in '82. It was there for a long time, too. And there have been other similar places that have come and gone.

Those places are fine and dandy, but they are not to everyone's taste, and even those who frequent them occasionally enjoy a change of pace. McDonald's and Wendy's might not be hip and fashionable and trendy, or make you feel that way by eating there, but they offer a quick, affordable alternative for us "common folk", who, by the way, make up a sizeable portion of the local populace.

A great downtown should be a place for everyone, and needs to offer something for every taste. If all you could find to eat downtown were alphalpha sprout sandwiches and tofu burgers, then you wouldn't really have much of a downtown at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and a good HOT DOG joint too!!!!

i thought for sure the place in the library (where i always get jamaican meet patties) was proprietary... "z cafe" or something like that?

perhaps it's changed since i have eaten at the library (it's been a long time)

FYI... for a good sub (and if you're from up north, a hoagie)

go to Primo Hoagies on Magnolia across from the Post Office. Anthony is only open for lunch and closes around 2, but they are da bomb daddies. Come to think of it... I'm gonna get a primo hoagie today.

FYI... for a good sub (and if you're from up north, a hoagie)

I'm from Mississippi, close enough to Louisiana to call them po-boys, esp. if they are fried catfish or roast beef :-) Speaking of, I'd like to see Jocamos (previously on 17-92 in Fern Park, and now on Sand Lake & John Young) open a location downtown...although Crooked Bayou isn't bad either. I just feel like it's not a 'food' place, but I guess it is...Never tried their gumbo or Muffaletta though. Assuming they have either.

I'm from Mississippi, close enough to Louisiana to call them po-boys, esp. if they are fried catfish or roast beef :-) Speaking of, I'd like to see Jocamos (previously on 17-92 in Fern Park, and now on Sand Lake & John Young) open a location downtown...although Crooked Bayou isn't bad either. I just feel like it's not a 'food' place, but I guess it is...Never tried their gumbo or Muffaletta though. Assuming they have either.

I would like to see Jockamo's downtown too. Nothing bad to say about Crooked Bayou, but it's more just bar food. Jockamo's is authentic cajun / New Orleans food. I live on the North side of town and hate that they moved so far South. Use to go there about once every two weeks now it's about once every two months.

Archived