Businesses I would like to see Downtown

ChadKRagland

Actually, if anyone has had a chance to check out 'Press 101' in the Dr.Philips Marketplace, it's really good. With it's casual contemporary setting, it would fit in very well downtown. It's food, beer and wine list and affordable pricing would make it as hit a spot downtown as it is in D.P.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about some non-restaurant type businesses? In the past, before Orlando changed the emphasis of downtown from that of a business by day, tourism/entertainment by night downtown to a 24/7 residential downtown, there were different types of retail stores that didn't make it because when the office workers went home to the suburbs, the local partyers and tourists came out. These people apparently were not in the market for the kinds of things some of these businesses sold.

There was a drug store (Walgreen's?) for awhile at the corner of Pine and Orange (now a nightclub), there was a bookstore in the Church Street Market (now part of 55 W. site), then of course there was the Sharper Image and Brookstone (held on longer than I thought they would), and let's not forget Behr's Shoe Store and of course all the busineses that were located inside the Exchange. Prior to that there was a Gibbs Louis women's apparel (in the building Behr's moved into after leaving Church Street), a men's clothier on Church Street and of course Sears, J.C.Penney's, Woolworth's and McCrory's.

The time will soon be ripe for the return of retail, when the condos start to fill up and there is a steady supply of customers nearby. I would like to see several retail establishments spread around downtown and not clumped together the way they were on Church Street, so that it doesn't seem like they're in some "specially designated" area. I think that would make downtown feel like it has a more naturally occuring layout.

What are some other ideas for downtown retail? Sporting goods? Hardware? Boutiques? Arcades? Toys?

I would like to see another book store. Definitely would be cool to see some clothes stores other than business attire. And non-retail, I would like to see a bar/nightclub that features jazz. How about a shoe store that sells sneakers? Can't wear dress shoes for running or playing tennis.

Though there's the Barnes & Noble on 50, I think a Barnes & Noble would fit in very nicely downtown, so long as other retailers are nearby. It would also serve the cafe' niche. There's a beautiful one downtown Atlanta with a glass facade. They could place the cafe' on the second level with seating overlooking said street. How to keep the homeless out of there though? :huh:

http://www.jambajuice.com/

Hit one of these in Chicago and liked it, went a couple of times while I was there. It's a smoothie joint. They have some in NYC & Miami, I think downtown Orlando could use one. I'd be in heaven, and I think most of all the other old NY'ers down here would too if they threw in a Grey's Papaya somewhere.

What about some non-restaurant type businesses? In the past, before Orlando changed the emphasis of downtown from that of a business by day, tourism/entertainment by night downtown to a 24/7 residential downtown, there were different types of retail stores that didn't make it because when the office workers went home to the suburbs, the local partyers and tourists came out. These people apparently were not in the market for the kinds of things some of these businesses sold.

There was a drug store (Walgreen's?) for awhile at the corner of Pine and Orange (now a nightclub), there was a bookstore in the Church Street Market (now part of 55 W. site), then of course there was the Sharper Image and Brookstone (held on longer than I thought they would), and let's not forget Behr's Shoe Store and of course all the busineses that were located inside the Exchange. Prior to that there was a Gibbs Louis women's apparel (in the building Behr's moved into after leaving Church Street), a men's clothier on Church Street and of course Sears, J.C.Penney's, Woolworth's and McCrory's.

The time will soon be ripe for the return of retail, when the condos start to fill up and there is a steady supply of customers nearby. I would like to see several retail establishments spread around downtown and not clumped together the way they were on Church Street, so that it doesn't seem like they're in some "specially designated" area. I think that would make downtown feel like it has a more naturally occuring layout.

What are some other ideas for downtown retail? Sporting goods? Hardware? Boutiques? Arcades? Toys?

This sounds like a project that the City of Orlando and the EDC should tackle together. If a concentrated retail initiative were launched they could really push the changing demographics and attract the type of retail being sought. If you look at the website for several of the new condo towers in Eola South and in the CBD there is a large amount retail space being advertised. This would be a HUGE help to the landlords and residents alike. I used to work for a development agency in Upper Manhattan (Harlem) and we created a very successful retail project. We were responsible for Old Navy on 125th St. which is the most successful store (sales per square foot) in the entire GAP chain (Old Navy, BR, GAP). If we could do, Orlando certainly can.

This sounds like a project that the City of Orlando and the EDC should tackle together. If a concentrated retail initiative were launched they could really push the changing demographics and attract the type of retail being sought. If you look at the website for several of the new condo towers in Eola South and in the CBD there is a large amount retail space being advertised.

I'm thinking that good ol free market supply & demand capitalism will do the trick. With all the new residents that will be filling up these towers, and for the first time in the city's history, living right smack dab in the middle of downtown there will be a new untapped market for all kinds of goods and services, many of which may have been tried and failed in the past. And I'm sure there are more than enough willing entrepenuers out there just waiting for the right situation to arise. It should be interesting.

I was at Whole Foods Market in Winter Park today, and they were taking names for a survey on additional locations that customers would like to see (beyond the one that's planned for Dr. Phillips next year). I am definitely going to vote for one downtown.

Publix is nice, and they've greatly improved the variety of things they offer, but they can't touch Whole Foods. We need a quality market downtown.

Though there's the Barnes & Noble on 50, I think a Barnes & Noble would fit in very nicely downtown, so long as other retailers are nearby. It would also serve the cafe' niche. There's a beautiful one downtown Atlanta with a glass facade. They could place the cafe' on the second level with seating overlooking said street. How to keep the homeless out of there though? :huh:

Most of the B&N's & Borders in NYC and Chicago have a guard at the door. I'm sure that's how most stores keep out the homeless in urban areas.

I would like to see a Borders go by the new arena. It would be cool to sit around & read a book before a game.

• 2 months later...

sure, you gonna put one in?

there used to be a cuban restaurant downtown in the 90's.

There is a great Cuban restaurant just south of downtown on Orange near Grant St., called Numero Uno, its right next to Lido's. Its more of a dinner formal place but the food is awesome.

I personally would like to see some hot dog stands on street corners downtown, every big city has them, and they are oh so good!

There is a great Cuban restaurant just south of downtown on Orange near Grant St., called Numero Uno, its right next to Lido's. Its more of a dinner formal place but the food is awesome.

I personally would like to see some hot dog stands on street corners downtown, every big city has them, and they are oh so good!

there is a hot dog stand right across from the Lynx station, off Livingston, that usually has a crowd

there is a hot dog stand right across from the Lynx station, off Livingston, that usually has a crowd

In front of the Orlando Weekly, right?

Most of the hot dog stands in downtown only come out at night. I would like to see someone with a philly cheesesteak cart during lunch hours. That would win my business at least once a week.

I want a Petty's.

The new Harmonie market in College Park and the City Market at Lake Eola aren't anywhere near as good as Petty's. I'm tired of driving out to Altamonte to go to Petty's to get good meat and prepared foods.

I WANT A PETTY'S DOWNTOWN!!!

Attempt to answer my own question...

Retails space

101 Eola - 10 000 sqft

55 West - 45 000 sqft

801 North Orange - 16 500 sqft

camden - 7300 sqft

dynetech - 9000 sqft

PTP - 53 000 sqft for cinema

PTP - 53 000 sqft retails

Star Tower - 2900 sqft

Paramount - 29000 sqft publix 14000 sqft others

Vue - 6000 sqft

Jeffreson - 2200 sqft

Total sqft new retail - 247900 sqft

Milleania Mall 1.3 Mil sqft

--------------------------------------------

Rumors

Kodsi - 500 000 sqft

City Place - 500 000+ sqft

--------------------------------

Can I asked for a bar like XL in downtown?

How much retails space we have downtown?

I am sad to report that XL has gone the way of CBGB's except that there is no t-shirt stand left nor has its interior been purchased for assemblage elsewhere...

Is the fish tank urinal gone?

Can't be sure, you might want to check eBay. On that note, though. I think that Pulse is the equivalent in a lot of ways. Different clientele perhaps, (XL was always very Jersey) but I think that the decor is similar in that they are both ultralounges. I'm all for them. Maybe in one of those retail spaces in a new building. Some money is better than none. BTW art galleries could totally set up shop there as well at least until higher revenue generators come.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathmandu returns to downtown!

If any of you remember the "Kathmandu" store that burned down a couple years ago, it has returned from International Drive to it's rightful place downtown. Last night, when I saw that they had opened another store downtown I was stoked! If any of you have not been or are new to Orlando, check this store out for all kinds of funky accoutrements from around the world, or shirts, jewelry, what have you.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement, I'm just very happy to see them return to downtown. It's on South Court Ave., not far from the corner of Court and Pine. If any of you have just bought a new condo downtown, check out their mezzuzot--- they're good luck! Let's support the local guys and give them some patronage. It's funky little boutiques like this that give our city some culture and personality.

A mall would of fit great inside the trade plaza. Especially with a large movie theater on the first floors. And since it would take orlando so long to get into cosmo style city, a mall right in the heart of downtown, whether there or anywhere would definitely speed up the process.

For some reason, downtown malls don't seem to do that well...lots of cities in the 80's kind of forced the downtown mall thing without much to back it up. Columbus City Centre in Ohio was beautiful when it opened, now it's almost empty. Circle Centre in Indianapolis doesnt seem to be doing that well. We had the Church Street Market and the Exchange...gone. I think by building all this residential downtown things will happen naturally and they should be on the street level, not in some enclosed suburban type mall. (Omni Mall in Miami is another that went bust.) Isn't downtown itself supposed to be "the mall" as it was in the old days? And aren't all these lifestyle centers trying to imitate that? I think an enclosed downtown mall is too "Logan's Run."

For some reason, downtown malls don't seem to do that well...lots of cities in the 80's kind of forced the downtown mall thing without much to back it up. Columbus City Centre in Ohio was beautiful when it opened, now it's almost empty. Circle Centre in Indianapolis doesnt seem to be doing that well. We had the Church Street Market and the Exchange...gone. I think by building all this residential downtown things will happen naturally and they should be on the street level, not in some enclosed suburban type mall. (Omni Mall in Miami is another that went bust.) Isn't downtown itself supposed to be "the mall" as it was in the old days? And aren't all these lifestyle centers trying to imitate that? I think an enclosed downtown mall is too "Logan's Run."

What about the mall in Downtown San Diego? I forgot the name but it was always full and was open so you could see the skyline and everything.... But I do think Malls (Suburban) are supposed to immitate the walkable towncenter shopping that we had in the 50's and so forth.

Archived