Businesses I would like to see Downtown

ChadKRagland

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see things that bring people downtown, as well as things that provide for those of us who live downtown. Some things I would like to see are:

-Doggy Day Care/store

-Art Galleries (several - ideally a block full of gallerys similar to Atlantic Ave in Delray, or Worth Ave in Boca.

-A Barnes & Noble or, other large bookstore with cafe would be great...wouldn't mind one in TT.

-A mega-music store ideally Virgin

-A pool hall

-24 hour CVS/Walgreens

-More pedestrian friendly areas, more asthetically pleasing sidewalks.

-I love our library and wouldn't change it.

-A liquor store.

-A publix grocery - thank goodness it's coming!

-Good Mexican, seafood, and steakhouse restaurant.

Those are just a few of the things I would love to see downtown.

Walgreens over CVS? No way. Neither will ever do it, anyway. It goes against their directions to build freestanding stores with drive-thru lanes. If they can somehow work drive-thru lanes into it, MAYBE. Also, downtown population tends to be younger thus needing fewer drugs. It's all about the Pharmacy business, not the front store business. If there are any CVS/Walgreens in your area that lack drive-thru lanes or are not freestanding, they WILL close in the not so distant future.

I miss Jungle Jim's..............

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I miss the little pink plastic monkeys in the drinks they served.

I would like to second the vote for a Whole Foods Mkt. and Crate and Barrel.

... So that we can be more like NYC, how about a bunch of Gaps on every other corner? (just kidding, of course)

Walgreens over CVS?  No way.  Neither will ever do it, anyway.  It goes against their directions to build freestanding stores with drive-thru lanes.  If they can somehow work drive-thru lanes into it, MAYBE.  Also, downtown population tends to be younger thus needing fewer drugs.  It's all about the Pharmacy business, not the front store business.  If there are any CVS/Walgreens in your area that lack drive-thru lanes or are not freestanding, they WILL close in the not so distant future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a Walgreens on Canal St in New Orleans, its vintage and I doubt its going anywhere. Further, there are tons of CVS's all over Boston, and tons of Duane Reade's all over New York.

Urban drugstore franchises (especially in CBDs) are among the most successful in the enterprises. In those cases, the front end matters much more than in drive-through suburban locations. Even if downtown Orlando lacks the same daytime population as a larger city's downtown, it could probably support something right now. As it is, we rely on State Discount, which is not unreasonably priced but is only a step up from a gas station convenience store in terms of variety of stock.

More specialized downtown retail, on the other hand, needs far more people working (and preferably living) here. Orlando is simply not big enough to support an urban retail district that chains are willing to populate (no responses on the Mall at Millenia or Winter Park Village, please: you know what kind of urban retail district I'm talking about). If one were to emerge, it would be in the CBD because its daytime population density is still greater than any other (daytime or nighttime) population density in Central Florida. I think downtown's best hope-- to be implemented by the DDA and the City-- is to focus on the sophisticated, 'edgy culture' kinds of places that the malls just can't compete with. These kinds of neighborhoods-- the post-1970s South Street in Philadelphia, Wicker Park or Belmont Ave in Chicago, 9th St between Irving and Judah in San Francisco-- are usually spurred on by gallery openings and an established presence of Richard Florida's over-cited creative class. From the level of success of the Third Thursdays and DMAC, though, it would appear Orlando is not yet ready for this.

As an aside on drugstores, on a recent trip to Canada I was amused by the arrangement (and priority) of the drugstore chains: due to the greater government regulation of prescription drug prices in Canada, the chains make far more off the front end than on the pharmacy. As a result, one of your first views upon entry is a department-store-caliber fragrance and cosmetics display, complete with uplit display cases, chic photo ads, etc. The general merchandise selection isn't shabby, either, but the pharmacy is shoved off in the back in a relatively low-lit corner of the store.

I have not really seen any US city where the geographic distribution of street-level retail matches that of Montreal, but even the heavily trafficked franchises of the drugstore chains (Pharmaprix is the largest in Quebec) were clean and well-arranged.

My wife and I are seriously considering opening a small business in Downtown Orlando, and we need your help. We have been searching the postings and trying to decide what sort of business would most appeal to the residents of Downtown Orlando, and more importantly WHERE to put it.

We have thought about either opening a Sports Bar (pool tables, wings, TVs) or a store catering to the needs of downtown residents and their dogs (selling food and accessories, offering grooming, walking, boarding services)

We are of course open to suggestions from the board. Please let me know if either of these two options appeal to you, or if there is something else you would like to see. Also, if you have an idea of where to put it, that would be great. We have thought about some of the new buildings being built, but we don't want to wait several years to open.

Thank you in advance!

From the level of success of the Third Thursdays and DMAC, though, it would appear Orlando is not yet ready for this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if Orlando isn't ready for DMAC, or if DMAC doesn't have a clue as to how to promote itself. Personally, I think it's the latter. A lot of people don't know what it is (the whole DMAC thing doesn't exactly scream "I'm a theatre") and don't know where it is, either.

The Enzian does just fine, so I think it's unfair to blame a lack of culture for empty seats at DMAC. You can't expect to draw a crowd if few people know who and where you are.

First and most importantly a White Castle joint (i hate krystals) like the one in Manhattan at 34th and 5th ave, Starbucks on every corner like Boston, Charleys Steakhouse, and some other international type food places. maybe French, Russian, Greek, Italian (not just overpriced pizzarias) and thats just for starters on food joints. Let me see a Barnes and Nobles would be nice or a Virgin Megasuperstore like the one at DT Disney. Express for Men & Women and some other fine clothiers.

My wife and I are seriously considering opening a small business in Downtown Orlando, and we need your help.  We have been searching the postings and trying to decide what sort of business would most appeal to the residents of Downtown Orlando, and more importantly WHERE to put it.

We have thought about either opening a Sports Bar (pool tables, wings, TVs) or a store catering to the needs of downtown residents and their dogs (selling food and accessories, offering grooming, walking, boarding services)

We are of course open to suggestions from the board.  Please let me know if either of these two options appeal to you, or if there is something else you would like to see.  Also, if you  have an idea of where to put it, that would be great.  We have thought about some of the new buildings being built, but we don't want to wait several years to open.

Thank you in advance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chad, the time is now to find a vacant building or lot to obtain. If you beat the windstorm of retail that will ensue with all this development and have something that is unique and has great service and the product is good...it will be hard not to succeed in downtown in a few years. You might try leasing a space somewhere as opposed to buying a lot or vacant building as this may allow you to get your feet wet without having a long term commitment. That being said, it may also prove to be a wise investment if you have the bucks to buy a piece of property or vacant building and develop it into what you want because i dont see a problem turning it around if you had to. I personally like the sports bar idea as long as it is unique and ideally located which could get pricey depending where you place it. Or you can speculate as to where there maybe newer pedestrian traffic patterns with all this development and strike a good deal and explode into something. I work part time at a local popular pub downtown and know how competetive the bar scene can be! However, if you comeup with an original idea it could catch on and be a future local hangout. There are several themes that come to mind. There is a bar/pub in downtown Mt Dora that is really cool. Its called "The Frosty Mug" and it is an icelandic pub. They have really good food and scandinavian beers on tap that are hard to find anywhere else. It has aviance as well. The pub i work at used to have food but closed the kitchen years ago. You can never go wrong with chicken wings, pool tables and football weekends though. :thumbsup:

It's all about the Rx business in this market, not front-end. Rx makes up 70% of revenues. In old markets such as NY and Boston of course there are going to many stores without drive-throughs and that are not freestanding. Plus, a store can sustain itself on front-end in more established markets particularly in the Northeast. FL is a brand new market for CVS and they need to gain ground on Walgreens through the Rx business. Those few CVS locations around town that lack Pharmacies or are not free-standing are former Eckerds and will close eventually. I can't speak for Walgreens.

• 2 weeks later...

Several of your suggestions were great. Having just come back from Chicago and experiencing the mile, I would enjoy having something similar and smaller in scale here in downtown Orlando.

A zoo may be far off though. If we ever do get some form of commuter train, then definitely we could build up the Sanford Zoo. Disney's Animal Kingdom may be great, but we need to separate ourselves from tourist destinations and build ourselves up as an independent urban lifeform. What we need most are more businesses and industries in Orlando apart from tourism so we can strive.

Back to businesses downtown... why don't have have a real Starbucks downtown that stays open during normal Starbucks operating hours? Dynetech, if catering to the young and fun crowd could benefit from having the Bad Ass Coffee Company occupy their desire for a coffee shop amongst their retail. Also the idea of an unpretentious jazz club would be great too.

Though it may be too early to claim downtown Orlando as a retail destination as of right now, some other retailers and restaurants I would like to see would be Eddie Bauer, Urban Outfitters, Crate & Barrel, The Container Store, Trader Joes, P.B. Loco, Corner Bakery, Maggianos, Wahoo Fish Tacos and other independent and unique venues.

Am I the only one that likes the downtown library? I find it visually striking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The exterior of the library isn't the nicest, but the inside rocks! I had never been in there until this past year and was thoroughly impressed. The OCLS satellites aren't the best but I would say that the downtown library is one of Orange County's finest contributions.

Starbucks, retail, chain resturaunts, etc..... Just look at the malls around the country. When we can say that downtown has the same type of businesses as a major mall like mall of millenia, then we can call ourselves a cosmopolitan city. And to me, it isn't that hard to do that.

I wish they converted magnolia to a shopping strip. To me, it just fits the part so well and ads a little change and another dimention to the bar/club scene on orange ave. Key thing to me is to make every part of downtown a sort of "town square" of different things and different themes.

The paramount area is more residential so they can ad a blockbuster along with the publix going up there now. small corner convenience stores, a barnies, a winery for the sophisticated, etc. Then a starbucks at the dynetech. magnolia's (or even the west side of robinson's) clothing/shopping strip. Down the road we can ad a bowling alley. Change that stupid mimi cooper store into a freakin pool hall!!!

Stick a convieniance store, pizza, and chinese on various corners. OMG, this little city could be sooo damn cool if it only did some of these things!!!

As far as sports bars go downtown, I don't think that it would really be that unique seeing as how Maui Jack's has been open for a couple years now. Unless as stated earlier that there is a truly unique theme separating your sports bar from others.

How about reopening Harold & Maude's somewhere?! Along with the Yab Yum.

Downtown drugstores are successful definitely-- when I went to Chicago and San Francisco, there were Walgreens all over.

I second the notion for a Barnes & Noble. Borders do thrive in large cities. Infact, the only Borders that I do like are the three I've visited in large cities.

Anyone ever been to Savannah, Georgia? If you want to open a TRULY unique store for residents--- look into the 'Parkers' convenience store in Savanna. It has everything from gas, to wine, gourmet deli, gourmet and natural foods, import and domestic beers, gifts, home decor... it was AMAZING what they had in that place! The food was really good too. Their tabouleh and asiago potato salad were GREAT. Cannot stop raving about Parkers!

As far as sports bars go downtown, I don't think that it would really be that unique seeing as how Maui Jack's has been open for a couple years now. Unless as stated earlier that there is a truly unique theme separating your sports bar from others.

How about reopening Harold & Maude's somewhere?! Along with the Yab Yum.

Downtown drugstores are successful definitely-- when I went to Chicago and San Francisco, there were Walgreens all over.

I second the notion for a Barnes & Noble. Borders do thrive in large cities. Infact, the only Borders that I do like are the three I've visited in large cities.

Anyone ever been to Savanna, Georgia? If you want to open a TRULY unique store for residents--- look into the 'Parkers' convenience store in Savanna. It has everything from gas, to wine, gourmet deli, gourmet and natural foods, import and domestic beers, gifts, home decor... it was AMAZING what they had in that place! The food was really good too. Their tabouleh and parmesan potato salad were GREAT. Cannot stop raving about Parkers!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll second the notion about Parkers. It opened when I was senior in college in Savannah, and it was unlike anything else in town. Best yet, it was 24 hours, so you could leave a bar at 2 in the morning, then walk to Parkers, grab a bite to eat (or coffee to sober up), then go home. And, don't forget a mid-day lunch when you're walking between classes.

It truly is a cool store. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived