Businesses I would like to see Downtown

ChadKRagland

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone been to the new lounge on Church Street? I'm wanting to go, but haven't heard anything about them and they don't have a site!

I went with my fiance about two weeks ago. Very cool place. They have the plasma televisions all over the place and a nice bar. When I went, it wasn't very busy, and we were able to get a table. I enjoyed the place, a good addition to the downtown scene.

I went with my fiance about two weeks ago. Very cool place. They have the plasma televisions all over the place and a nice bar. When I went, it wasn't very busy, and we were able to get a table. I enjoyed the place, a good addition to the downtown scene.

Thanks for the experience! How is it price wise and how is the music?

Thanks for the experience! How is it price wise and how is the music?

The drinks weren't cheap, as they are going for a more upscale feel, so you pay inflated prices. As far as the music goes, they had a live band playing while I was there. The band was good, but way too loud. The high ceilings in there, combined with the smallish crowd, they band was kind of overwhelming the place.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm.....not so sure soup would sell so well for 8 months out of the year. For my tastes July in Orlando is a bit too hot to be wanting a nice cup of chowder.

Agree -- soup is probably a no-go for this climate, but I think salads are more fitting.

When I lived in NYC they had this place where you could make your own salad. You basically bought a container/bowl of lettuce for $2 (there were different blends) and they you gave it to the "salad maker person" and there were like 100 things you could "add in"(kind of like subway, but much bigger). For example, there were 8 or 9 meats, and each was 1.00. There were like 8 nut varieties -- also $1.00 each, and countless veggies at 50-75 cents each, and so on. I think they had 25 dressings? The place was awesome and was VERY, VERY busy (usually had to wait in a line outside).

By the time you finished putting toppings on, you had a very large, satisfying and YUMMIE $8-$9 salad. I wish something like that would open up downtown.

I have somewhat bad news everyone--- Johnny's Fillin' Station will not be going into the old "Rocco's" spot in Thornton Park because they couldn't get the liquor license past 10pm. So, who else will fill that spot?!

In other news, check out "Press 101" from the former founder of Crispers in Dr. Phillips. The food is very good and the price point is an added bonus!

I have somewhat bad news everyone--- Johnny's Fillin' Station will not be going into the old "Rocco's" spot in Thornton Park because they couldn't get the liquor license past 10pm. So, who else will fill that spot?!

Darn, I was looking forward to that one.

As for who else will fill that spot? Someone, I hope, who plans to challenge the 10 p.m. rule! ;)

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but they have another location on Mills just North of Colonial. They are supposed to move into that location.

Yea, there is a rumor of the owner of Blue, on Mills, might be moving there.

What's the 10PM law? Do they have to stop serving liquor in Thorton Park by 10?

Once more of the residential projects slated for downtown get occupied.....or at the very least, make it off of the drawing board :unsure: the types of businesses that service these residents will follow quickly.

As of yet, the projects slated for downtown seem to be quick to be announced, and slow to turn earth......

As for the businesses that I would like to see:

-A nice, large bookstore

-More bars and lounges (not clubs) that attract the 30ish crowd (but not copies if what is already downtown, which are mostly copies of eachother)....some that are more formal, some that are more casual

-A large produce/meat market

-more cafes with outdoor seating that are not designer-impostor like the current slate of eateries

Once more of the residential projects slated for downtown get occupied.....or at the very least, make it off of the drawing board :unsure: the types of businesses that service these residents will follow quickly.

As of yet, the projects slated for downtown seem to be quick to be announced, and slow to turn earth......

As for the businesses that I would like to see:

-A nice, large bookstore

-More bars and lounges (not clubs) that attract the 30ish crowd (but not copies if what is already downtown, which are mostly copies of eachother)....some that are more formal, some that are more casual

-A large produce/meat market

-more cafes with outdoor seating that are not designer-impostor like the current slate of eateries

Hey now, the Globe isn't a designer imposter. Granted it's not what it used to be--- but still it's cool, and it's sister Wai-Tiki.

Hey now, the Globe isn't a designer imposter. Granted it's not what it used to be--- but still it's cool, and it's sister Wai-Tiki.

No...you are right....I like The Globe.....loved the Kit Kat Club too.....

I was referring more to Hue....and the like....

....how about a real, live, non-Starbucks, non-Barnie's coffee house ... with fresh ground, free trade beans and an ashtray on every table.... like the old Yab Yum.

I miss the Yab Yum. Sugar Candy on a stick to swirl around your cappuccino. I'm afraid that downtown is gone forever.

Archived