Grandview Heights/Coose Hollow Condo Complex

Mith242

I had been posting info on the condos in the Fayetteville topic, but thought I'd give it it's own topic. A rather large condo complex has been proposed on Beaver Lake near Avoca to the northeast of Rogers. There has been talk of the complex consisting of five 25 story units or seven 15 story units. There hasn't been much development yet near Beaver Lake, with the exception of houses, and the proposal isn't sitting well with local home owners on Beaver Lake. They have recently stepped up efforts to stop the complex by starting their own website (which I couldn't find) and calling elected officials. They have stated it will ruin their view of the lake and could possibly be a environmental threat. I hate to seem callous to the home owners but with all the development going on here in northwest Arkansas it was just a matter of time before it ended up at Beaver Lake. I can understand concerns of building such a large complex because there hasn't been any word on services such as a fire department. It is doubtful Avoca could handle the services needed for the condo complex. When it is filled up it will be larger than Avoca itself. The developers said they had also considered a 300-500 unit housing subdivision but thought this would have less of an impact on the area. Although there are concerns I can't but feel that the biggest problem is that local homeowners don't want development in 'their' neighborhood. But it seems everyone else has had to deal with it here in northwest Arkansas. I certainly don't want unrestricted growth and sprawl but it seems to me that Beaver Lake is close enough to the metro area and that development is going to happen at some point at Beaver Lake. But anyway, units would cost between $300,000 and $1 Mil apparently. Sorry I couldn't find a better picture.

4739130_120X90.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds like it would be a wonderful development. Lakefront properties near a booming metro like NWA! Great combo! Hope to see something come of it. By the way... it seems environmentalists stop a lot of big projects from taking root. For example- the Bass Pro Shop in NLR and a residential development in Maumelle. I don't have anything against the environment, but come on! That land in NLR is an eye-sore right now... and it sits on the busiest stretch of highway in the state (over 120K vehicles every day)!

This sounds like it would be a wonderful development.  Lakefront properties near a booming metro like NWA!  Great combo!  Hope to see something come of it.  By the way... it seems environmentalists stop a lot of big projects from taking root.  For example- the Bass Pro Shop in NLR and a residential development in Maumelle.  I don't have anything against the environment, but come on!  That land in NLR is an eye-sore right now... and it sits on the busiest stretch of highway in the state (over 120K vehicles every day)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I certainly love the environment here in the Ozarks. I also wouldn't want the metro up here to sprawl out for miles and miles into the Ozarks. But I just think that Beaver Lake is too close to the metro for there not to be some big developments, if not now then in the near future. I'm sorry but these people are going to just have to deal with the same thing other people in northwest Arkansas have had to deal with. At least there should be one positive for them, their real estate values should start going up. Maybe after values go up then they can sell and go move to an area on the lake further away from the metro. We should take care of the environment, but I think it's unrealistic to now say we can't have any more development whatsoever because it possibly might be bad for the environment. I've stated in another topic I'm a big fan of condos. I'd rather have this than a huge 500 house subdivision on the lake.

This project is bigger than all of the condo projects in Little Rock right now :-(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well we have to have something up here. We all keep hearing about all these projects around Little Rock. Besides this isn't a done deal yet. The local home owners are making a big stink about this. I haven't mentioned this but I just have a hard time trying to be on their side. I saw footage on the local news when the developers had an open discussion about their complex. They seemed to be doing what they could to be open to the local home owners and the locals acted like total *bleep* at the developers. I just got the impression there was absolutely anything they could say to make them happy. It sounded like they are considering lowering the height of the condos to try to please the locals. But it looks like they are determined to make this a big ugly spectacle. It's just a shame that if they built this almost anywhere else in Arkansas it would be very welcome.

I have to comment on this again because there was a story about this on the local news. Apparently the local home owners are even trying to get the help of lawyers to help stop the project. But it was also interesting because there are some local home owners who aren't opposed to the project. They even had one on camera and he said he didn't understand some of them. He said first of all some of them argued that it would be an 'eyesore' on the lake. Which he also stated that was a matter of personal opinion and shouldn't be considered into the arguement. Second of all many were complaining how the complex would ruin their view of the lake. He said he didn't understand that either because some of the very same people couldn't see the lake most of the year because of the vegetation and how their personal property sat on the land. It just sounds to me most of these people simply just don't want development anywhere near them.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that Arkansas Business and almost none of the papers have picked up on this story. This sounds like a pretty major development in any terms in any part of Arkansas. Just thought there would be at least some mention of it. It means I have a rather limited resources to learn more about this project.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think I have found out why I haven't seen more news about the condos other than the local news here. The developers haven't put the plans in front of the city yet. They have been simply holding mettings to see what kind of responses they would get. Which of course haven't been very positive from most of the locals so far. Doesn't sound like they have any set plans yet. They've been trying to work with the locals before they put forth any set plans. But most of the locals don't seem in any development so far even if it is scaled back.

• 5 weeks later...

Well the Grandview Condos are finally back in the local news again. Sounds like soon they will present their plans officially to the Benton County board. Sounds like it might be considered close enough that they might have to present it to the Rogers board also. It was also mentioned on KNWA that local residents protests against the project might not be able to do anything to hold back the project. Hopefully after the plans are officially submitted I'll have more info and maybe even some pics of the project.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if these condos are just the beginning of what is to come to Beaver Lake? Does anyone think that more condos of this sheer size will emerge on Beaver Lake or even Northwest Arkansas?

I think it might be a while before anything else quite on this scale will come. But I can see it happening a little further into the future if this growth keeps going the way it is now. I'm not sure if Beaver Lake will keep attracting huge developments, but I do see more developments happening to Beaver Lake. I believe it's Lake of the Ozarks I'm thinking of that has some developments along one part of the lake that reminds me of what at least some of Beaver Lake will probably become. I know this obviously will upset some people, especially many of the current home owners near the lake but I'm afraid it's just a matter of time. With all the growth here in northwest Arkansas it's only natural that it's going to head towards beaver Lake eventually.

I agree. I was actually wondering myself when condos would come to the Lake like they have with the Lake of the Ozarks.

Now it's been quite a while since I've been over to the Lake of the Ozarks, but I don't remember that area looking bad or ruining the area. Now I certainly wouldn't want all the lakes in the ozarks to have large condo developments and such around them. But I don't have any problems with someone trying to develop part of Beaver Lake.

Now it's been quite a while since I've been over to the Lake of the Ozarks, but I don't remember that area looking bad or ruining the area. Now I certainly wouldn't want all the lakes in the ozarks to have large condo developments and such around them. But I don't have any problems with someone trying to develop part of Beaver Lake.

I agree

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there will be another meeting about the Grangview Condos at Coose Hollow today. The public can attend but apparently won't be allowed to speak. I think the basis of the meeting will be for the developers to reveal details of their plans to county and city officials.

I agree, some upscale Lake Hamilton-ish condos on Beaver Lake would fill a nice role for NWA that is currently lacking and would be desirable for the older, retiring population that no longers wants a large home. I really don't see any problem with this, it's not as if they would build all the way around Beaver Lake. If it's really an issue, limit condo dvelopment to a particular area.

Well, the condos at Grandview Heights went before The Benton County Planning Board for review of the plans. Basically, nothing was decided, since it was only a review, but the planning board pretty much said that they (E&S Development) had all the basics, and even exceded what was expected from local, state, and federal laws.

The plans will go before the Benton County Planning Board for Final approval on October 26.

Also, on an interesting note. Since Little Rock has been taking steps to make downtown marinas, the same developers want to build a boat storage area for residents to store their boats, which only has to be approved by the Army Corps, I think.

Well, the condos at Grandview Heights went before The Benton County Planning Board for review of the plans. Basically, nothing was decided, since it was only a review, but the planning board pretty much said that they (E&S Development) had all the basics, and even exceded what was expected from local, state, and federal laws.

The plans will go before the Benton County Planning Board for Final approval on October 26.

Also, on an interesting note. Since Little Rock has been taking steps to make downtown marinas, the same developers want to build a boat storage area for residents to store their boats, which only has to be approved by the Army Corps, I think.

I think I saw something about this in the Little Rock Projects topic. Didn't know it was the same people though. I might be wrong on this but I thought I'd seen something about despite all the complaints of local homeowners that's there's not really much they can do to stop this project. I think the developers have done a good job doting all the i's and crossing all the t's. Although that doesn't mean that the homeowners won't try to make a big scene over all of this.

I think I saw something about this in the Little Rock Projects topic. Didn't know it was the same people though. I might be wrong on this but I thought I'd seen something about despite all the complaints of local homeowners that's there's not really much they can do to stop this project. I think the developers have done a good job doting all the i's and crossing all the t's. Although that doesn't mean that the homeowners won't try to make a big scene over all of this.

I pretty sure that the Planning Board members are convinced that this project is an asset for not only Benton County, but Northwest Arkansas as well. Anything that the angry homeowners threw at the developers, the developers seemed to outdo them, by proving to them that this project is worthy.

Recently, the city of Rogers almost wanted a say in the project. Since the project fell within the 5-mile city limit planning area, they wanted a say in it, but realized they had no authority.

The only hurddle left is getting an approval from the FAA. These condos are somewaht close (3-4 miles) from the Rogers Municipal Airport. But I'm sure the FAA will approve of it.

I pretty sure that the Planning Board members are convinced that this project is an asset for not only Benton County, but Northwest Arkansas as well. Anything that the angry homeowners threw at the developers, the developers seemed to outdo them, by proving to them that this project is worthy.

Recently, the city of Rogers almost wanted a say in the project. Since the project fell within the 5-mile city limit planning area, they wanted a say in it, but realized they had no authority.

The only hurddle left is getting an approval from the FAA. These condos are somewaht close (3-4 miles) from the Rogers Municipal Airport. But I'm sure the FAA will approve of it.

I am glad to hear that. At one point I had heard Rogers wanting a say too. Had many of the homeowners conducted themselves with a little more class maybe I could try to sympathize with them more. But I'm glad to see that it looks like the project will go forward and I'm curious to see how that area of Beaver Lake will look in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is back in the news again. The local homeowners aren't giving up without a fight. Apparently there was a meeting about this last night. They even moved the location because they didn't think there'd be enough room for everyone where they usually have these meetings. I was a bit surprised that these homeowners seemed pretty confident that they could stop this project. I'm not sure if they can but it looks like these developers will have to be careful at all stages of the development. Any slip at any point could cuase them a lot of problems. Hopefully we'll hear more about this project in the near future.

Well this is back in the news again. The local homeowners aren't giving up without a fight. Apparently there was a meeting about this last night. They even moved the location because they didn't think there'd be enough room for everyone where they usually have these meetings. I was a bit surprised that these homeowners seemed pretty confident that they could stop this project. I'm not sure if they can but it looks like these developers will have to be careful at all stages of the development. Any slip at any point could cuase them a lot of problems. Hopefully we'll hear more about this project in the near future.

Ohhh, beat me to it :P

The homeowners actually behaved for a first because the planning commission pretty much said if anyone had an outburst they would be arrested.

Nothing was really settled at the meeting, i'm not sure when the final meeting is but I think it's in a week or two.

Ohhh, beat me to it :P

The homeowners actually behaved for a first because the planning commission pretty much said if anyone had an outburst they would be arrested.

Nothing was really settled at the meeting, i'm not sure when the final meeting is but I think it's in a week or two.

Good, I heard about the meeting but didn't hear much about what happened in the meeting. Also nice to see the homeowners acting a little more civil for a change. Not sure where all of this is going to go but I guess this condo development is going to happen or go away without a lot of publicity.

Good, I heard about the meeting but didn't hear much about what happened in the meeting. Also nice to see the homeowners acting a little more civil for a change. Not sure where all of this is going to go but I guess this condo development is going to happen or go away without a lot of publicity.

Those Homeowners are going to throw a fit whenever it gets passed. The developers told the planning commission about every concern the public had and even exceeded most of the concerns. There's not a thing the Planning Commission can do about it as long as it meets all local, federal, and state requirements are met.

If anyone's interested in the homeowners website here it is

www.stopnwacondos.com

Those Homeowners are going to throw a fit whenever it gets passed. The developers told the planning commission about every concern the public had and even exceeded most of the concerns. There's not a thing the Planning Commission can do about it as long as it meets all local, federal, and state requirements are met.

If anyone's interested in the homeowners website here it is

www.stopnwacondos.com

I hope they do plan out everything very well or it could come back to bite them in the rear. You know the homeowners are looking for one wrong thing to happen to try to stop the project.

Archived