The Enclave at the Riverfront

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sounds like an assignment for our resident photojournalist, Skriby. How about Skirby? A picture taken from the entrance to Alltel looking SW. From what I can tell on Google maps, it would be difficult for the Enclave to obstruct the view of downtown Little Rock. If however something tall is built just east of the Main Street bridge, it would likely obstruct the view of downtown.

To me, the renderings of the Enclave seem to enhance the urban landscape. Last week, there was noise about Alltel in need of painting and updating. A diminished view of the arena from the south shore seems perfectly acceptable, if the Enclave looks anything like it renderings. It is not like Alltel arena is the the Presidential Library or Heifer Building. From the south shore I like looking at the water, boats, and park space on the NLR side.

I hope you're right...I'll have to wait and check it out. I've never been a big fan of the skyline perspective from the end of the Broadway bridge as Regions and Metropolitan are aligned and the Stephen's building does the same to Bank of America. Like you say, perhaps if you go "west" enough along the 3rd base line, the view improves.

Just returned for SEC Gymnastics tournament at Alltel. The view of downtown Little Rock from the entrance to Alltel arena IS obscured by the Enclave. It will become even more so, once the top floor and roof are complete. You can still see the tops of the taller buildings and the Doubletree, but that is about it. When/if the block on Washington immediately east of the Enclave is redeveloped, I believe the view will become completely obscured, except for the tallest buildings.

Wow. That's pretty sad....NLR should have set a height limit for those two blocks for that very reason. The whole arena was oriented NE-SW for that very purpose - to align the entrance with the view. Just...unbelievable. I would bet $100 that no one on staff at NLR thought of this.

Just returned for SEC Gymnastics tournament at Alltel. The view of downtown Little Rock from the entrance to Alltel arena IS obscured by the Enclave. It will become even more so, once the top floor and roof are complete. You can still see the tops of the taller buildings and the Doubletree, but that is about it. When/if the block on Washington immediately east of the Enclave is redeveloped, I believe the view will become completely obscured, except for the tallest buildings.

View of LR skyline from NLR...

I really don't have a dog in this hunt. I just reported what I saw when I went to Alltel.

Attendance...

My impression of the attendance was that those in attendance could fill the entire lower bowl. I was one of five attending in my group. We paid almost $70 for tickets and $10 to park. We didn't eat or drink anything. Told the girls (3 and 5) that cotton candy and funnel cakes are for the Fair or Circus (hehe). It worked this time. :good:

The DOG said the attendance for the SEC Gymnastics event was the lowest in six years. The headcount was approx 5500. The attendance at last year's event in Birmingham, AL was approx 7500.

Wow. That's pretty sad....NLR should have set a height limit for those two blocks for that very reason. The whole arena was oriented NE-SW for that very purpose - to align the entrance with the view. Just...unbelievable. I would bet $100 that no one on staff at NLR thought of this.

A few years ago, Alltel was booking some A list entertainment. Aerosmith, Elton John, Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers/ Foo Fighters, Eagles, Norah Jones.

What happened? Maybe there just hasn't been anyone that I'm interested in, but it's been embrassing the past two years driving past the Alltel sign on I-30 seeing what the next show will be.

I do agree that seeing the LR skyline was an appealing quality to leaving the arena from the Washington Street entrance. However, the fact remains that events won't stop booking Alltel because of the blocked skyline and folks won't stop coming to see events because of it, either. So, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Archived