Visiting Minneapolis

statedude3

I'm from Michigan and will be visiting the Twin Cities area for business and pleasure for the next week. Other than the major attractions, what are some hidden gems that I should check out (both architectural and cultural)? Also, where are the cool spots to hang (I'm celebrating birthday #21 on the trip)! Thanks in advance for the input!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, what type of scene are you looking for (eg punk, gay, upscale)?  Or are you just interested in people watching?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bars/clubs (straight), and any other popular attractions. This is my first trip that I wont have to deal strictly with business so I'd like to enjoy the cultural side of things.

Bars/clubs (straight), and any other popular attractions.  This is my first trip that I wont have to deal strictly with business so I'd like to enjoy the cultural side of things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I WOULD CHECK OUT BRITS, YOU CAN GO UP ON THE ROOF AND HAVE DRINKS AND HAVE A NICE VIEW OF THE CITY. AND THERE ARE LOTS OF HOT WOMEN.

ALSO AFTER THAT YOU COULD TRY TONIC DOWNTOWN, ITS A NEW NIGHT CLUB. OR YOU COULD HIT ESCAPE OR BELLANOTE, BOTH ARE UPSCALE CLUBS WITH LOTS OF BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE. HOPE THIS HELPS

I would vote for Uptown. If you want something upscale you could go to Chino Latino, and the rooftop at Drink is pretty cool. Williams is a good time, so is the Independent. Before you go out you could check out the lakes, maybe the Walker and the Sculpture Garden, etc.

If you're going downtown, the Warehouse District would be the place to hang out, up and down Hennepin and 1st.

If you like architecture, definitely check out the new Guthrie Theater on the riverfront. The cantilever is just about completley enclosed now and it's a striking building anyway. Also the new Walker Art Center is terrific. The skyways are fun to get lost in.

For night time fun, I'd echo what the others have said. Uptown and the Warehouse District along 1st Avenue. You can drop into virtually any bar or club and have a good time. It really starts to kick into high gear after 10 pm.

Oddities?...

Hidden away in the North Loop Warehouse District is one of my favorite spots - The House of Balls. Not a club or bar. But exactly what it is is open to debate. Best time to pay a visit is around 3 am. If the door is closed, you can leave a message for all to hear... :whistling:

The Bakken Museum of Electricity in Life is open near the west side of Lake Calhoun. It was created by the founder of Medtronics.

In St. Paul is the home and offices of Lewellyn Publications, one of the largest occult publishing house in the world. The house is notorious for being haunted. A biography of the founder is here: http://www.controverscial.com/Carl%20Llewe...%20Weschcke.htm

A history of the house is here: http://www.prairieghosts.com/griggs.html

The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices is located in the Science Museum of Minnesota in St. Paul. The SMM also has one of the world's only "convertible" omnitheaters.

And in keeping with the electrical theme, you might want to see Creative Electric Studios: http://www.creativeelectricstudios.com/default.asp?s=rogue

You can take your picture with Mary Tyler Moore at the corner of 7th and Nicollet in Minneapolis. Of course since you're 21, you'd probably ask "Mary Tyler Who?" :D

Anyone else have more random ideas?

Speaking of St. Paul...

Drive up and down Summit Avenue, the houses are amazing, mostly Victorian. You can take a tour of James J. Hill's mansion, which is pretty cool and the governors mansion is just down the street. Check out the Cathedral, I believe it is the 4th largest Cathedral in the country(?). The state capitol is just down the hill, and I think it is one of the most beautiful in the country. Those would all be worth seeing if you are interested in architecture.

Thank you Minnesota!

I just got back from my stay in the Twin Cities, and I must than everyone for their advice! Your cities are wonderful, and the people were very hospitable!

I enjoyed the beautiful Victorian homes on Summit Ave. and the Science Museum of Minnesota in St. Paul, as well as a wonderful outdoor meal at a restaurant that I happened to forget the name of.

In Minneapolis I enjoyed the uptown art fair, a movie at Block E and a great dining and bar scene. I enjoyed a party on top of a parking ramp, Brits was amazing (especially being of English genealogy), and some others that I cant remember. But by far my favorite place was a place in Block E known as "The Shout House". It was not very full, but after talking to the owner it sounded like it was pretty new.

I greatly enjoyed your town and look forward to visiting again in the not so distant future. Thanks for all the advice, it helped make #21 special to me!

Archived