density on portland's peninsula

pvenne

Portland's peninsula, a 3 square mile portion of the city where the downtown is located, has an extremely high density of 7,728 people per square mile. 36 percent of the city lives on the peninsula. the remianing two-thirds live in the inner ring suburb sections of the city, and on the islands of casco bay. the peninsula stretches from munjoy hill on the east to bramhall hill on the west.

lemme know if you want the source, im using IE which doesnt have a tool bar to copy from on my comp...but i can get it if anyone wants.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What tool bar?  The url you mean?  IE doesnt have it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no IE has it, but MY ie doesnt have it, it disappeared and usually you can drag it back on by i cant this time, its been that way for a while. anyways, i have the Mozilla browser too that i can use to copy the url from. i meant to say the url bar.

Portlandwest.jpg

on the density of portland's west-end neighborhood. it is bounded for the most part by the long loopy road in the front part of the picture and ends at state street before the downtown district begins. its size is roughly 7/10 of a mile by 8/10 of a mile, making it just over a half square mile (0.56 sq miles). with a neighborhood population of 6,200, this means the west end density falls somewhere in the range of 10,000+ people per square mile (although thats a bit sily since its not even a complete mile). interesting though. i wish i could find an accurate number for the size of the west end, if anyone has a reliable source, please let me know...i am just going on what i heard and it sounds in the right neck of the woods.

aerialportlandWestendOP30.jpg

it qwould be interesting to do the same sort of estimate for one or two of manchester's denser neighborhoods. unfortunately, i know very little on the subject...if anyone else can supply me with the populations and probably areas (M brown) then i will calculate...

by the way, i did a little research and found that somerville massachusetts is the most dense city in all of new england. anyone from mass or southern new hampshire probably knows where this is better than i do. the oage said somewhere along I-93, so im assuming greater boston area...?

population = 75,000...couldnt find a density though...ill keep looking

approx 7,250 people per square mile...and this is an AVERAGE for the whole city, i imagine it has much denser sections than this. also, it had over 10,000 people per sq. mile pre 1950. i know its not in N. NE but found it interesting anyhow...

Archived