Davenport University

GRDadof3

I'm sure everyone has probably seen Davenport's new campus (or at least this rendering).

main.jpg

For an institution of higher learning, it is about the blandest looking building I have ever seen. And the goofy dormitory next door makes me laugh every time.

What are the plans for their campus downtown? Anyone know?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the idea of locating the MSU medical school on the old davenport grounds was mooted in a GR press article on the topic a year or so ago.

their new location is even more of a turn off than the office-like buildings. they sure are pioneers - of 1970s style sprawl development!

I'm sure everyone has probably seen Davenport's new campus (or at least this rendering).

main.jpg

For an institution of higher learning, it is about the blandest looking building I have ever seen.  And the goofy dormitory next door makes me laugh every time. 

What are the plans for their campus downtown?  Anyone know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You havent been to the corner of Lyon and Ransom have you? :P

well, thats when I was in MI, that was 5 years ago. It looks like it has grown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although it has campuses all over the place, it is a fully accredited university by all the standard people as far as I know. At one time your statement was correct I believe, but that was years ago.

I heard they are selling off some of their properties on the downtown campus (houses and such that they own). I think you will see them vacate a large portion (if not all) of the downtown campus in 5 years. Just speculation, but the did a 180 degree turn from announcing plans to add on to the downtown campus and then moving out to M-6. I think they want to be like University of Phoenix. It is a shame really...

Joe

You havent been to the corner of Lyon and Ransom have you?  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno... I think the new Davenport campus is giving GRCC a run for its money :P

And look how all of the cars in the rendering are Audi TT's and VW Bugs :lol: Come on!

I think they want to be like University of Phoenix. It is a shame really...

No, they want to be more like GVSU, a commuter college. I am sure that they would have faced a lot of opposition if they would have tried to build anything new in Heritage Hill. Yes, they could have built downtown, but that would have created a disjointed campus, something that would not have worked that well.

In their case, I doubt there were many good options where they were. I am sure that if they move out of the neighborhood, no one will really miss them.

I am sure that if they move out of the neighborhood, no one will really miss them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of the staff and students that provide potential customers to neighboring businesses. All of the taxes that the school and faculty provided to the city coffers. One more reason for people to visit downtown Grand Rapids. Yeah, I guess no one will really miss them.

I think Davenport made a big mistake. Yes, they probably could not have cost- effectively expanded their campus on Fulton due to historic preservation guidelines in Heritage Hill. But there are many spots they could have staked out in downtown, or near downtown area. Instead, they chose to be just your average run of the mill suburban box office building. In fact, the President of Davenport stated that they wanted their building to represent more of the corporate environment instead of an institutional one (apparently he is already defending the design). And he laughingly stated that he thinks the building will set the standard for building design in that area :rofl:

Actually they worked closely with the HH association and had their nod of approval, atleast from the initial designs.

Joe

No, they want to be more like GVSU, a commuter college.  I am sure that they would have faced a lot of opposition if they would have tried to build anything new in Heritage Hill.  Yes, they could have built downtown, but that would have created a disjointed campus, something that would not have worked that well.

In their case, I doubt there were many good options where they were.  I am sure that if they move out of the neighborhood, no one will really miss them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 year later...

Amidst heavy criticism, Davenport to completely vacate Fulton St campus

"There's no question the growth is going to be out there," Lettinga said.

"To me, whether if on M-6 or downtown, to me you're all part of Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids is not the city of Grand Rapids. It's Wyoming, it's Kentwood, it's Byron Center. That's where most of our traditional students come from."

I haven't seen a lot of other development around the M-6/Broadmoor interchange, other than Davenport. The office park where Farmers/Foremost is has been 75% vacant for at least a decade. He's dreaming. They're trying to "create" growth, not be part of a growth area. And Caledonia Twp is not thrilled by their new campus expansion plans, because they have no full time fire/police and other services set up currently. Gee, Caledonia doesn't want them to expand, GR wants them to stay, what's the problem?

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Here they are trying to "sell" their expansion to Caledonia officials:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

In regard to what could possibly take over the Fulton St. Campus:

"It would be a neat higher ed quadrant. We have a medical mile, and we could have nice little area where students are being served," said Flechsig, Davenport president since 2000.

Yeah, for a school like......Davenport.

I don't get it. Davenport has a great presence downtown and they want to move out ?!! Look at who is expanding in the downtown area: Grand Valley, WMU, MSU, Calvin College, Cooley Law, Kendall, did I miss anyone? This is where it's happening and where the students are. Why move way to the outer ring when gas prices are up and there is already a college infrastructure downtown? Just so they can have some shiny new buildings in a sea of parking? <_<

While I'm slightly shocked by this, I saw the writing on the wall when they expanded on M6. The funny thing is they had drawn up a major expansion for the Downtown campus, and from what I remember, they had full support of the HPC and Heritage Hill. I think this is extremely short-sighted of Davenport. The downtown campus already has the infrastructure in place (available housing), it has the campus setting a lot of people look for in a University, and it is centrally located for the entire city.

To me, the officials at Davenport are extremely short-sighted. Will people who are from the northern suburbs (which are growing very quickly as well) really drive to Caledonia? They are betting big-time that people will add to their commute for a "newer" (and much blander) campus with a sea of free parking. This is a folly and I'm sure GVSU will be more than happy to eat their lunch.

As for the campus, I don't see it staying empty long. Maybe it will be split up to some extent, but I think more foreword thinking people will see the benefits of being centrally located.

Joe

While I'm slightly shocked by this, I saw the writing on the wall when they expanded on M6. The funny thing is they had drawn up a major expansion for the Downtown campus, and from what I remember, they had full support of the HPC and Heritage Hill. I think this is extremely short-sighted of Davenport. The downtown campus already has the infrastructure in place (available housing), it has the campus setting a lot of people look for in a University, and it is centrally located for the entire city.

To me, the officials at Davenport are extremely short-sighted. Will people who are from the northern suburbs (which are growing very quickly as well) really drive to Caledonia? They are betting big-time that people will add to their commute for a "newer" (and much blander) campus with a sea of free parking. This is a folly and I'm sure GVSU will be more than happy to eat their lunch.

As for the campus, I don't see it staying empty long. Maybe it will be split up to some extent, but I think more foreword thinking people will see the benefits of being centrally located.

Joe

I 100% agree...although it was interesting to read in the article that Davenport already has appx. 2,000 students out in Caledonia and only 550 or so Downtown, although that could simply be because they scheduled a majority of the classes to be out in the 'burbs. Not only do I see this hurting them when it comes to recruiting potential students, but I also think that they are going to alienate themselves from quite a few of their benefactors. If I am a West Michigan philanthropist who is really interested in keeping the area going, I will want my donations directed downtown rather than out on the fringes. With that said, I also agree that this might be a nice little shot in the arm for GVSU and interest in its downtown campus (and potentially expanding it even more).

I'm sure there will be no shortage of interest in many different types of groups vying for the Fulton Street campus. Fortunately HH 'governs' the area, so the visual setting most likely won't change all that much. It'd be nice to see a GRCC, GVSU, MSU, VAI, etc. grab the property for classrooms and additional educational spaces.

Does anyone know...is Davenport a NFP or for-profit venture? Is this property on the tax roles for GR?

As someone who works across the street (Foremost/Farmers) from Davenport's newest and soon to be only campus, I can say that it's hard enough to have to drive the 15-20 minutes out of near downtown to work all day in the middle of nowhere. I can't even imagine going to school at such a site. From a pure geographic standpoint, talk about alienating everyone who lives north of town - gasoline probably isn't going to go down in price anytime soon - why would you pay to go to school in the middle of nowhere, then have to drive there because the prospect of living in a dorm in the middle of nowhere is a no-go. Maybe I'm not their target demographic, but it makes no sense to me!

*fish

From a pure geographic standpoint, talk about alienating everyone who lives north of town - gasoline probably isn't going to go down in price anytime soon - why would you pay to go to school in the middle of nowhere, then have to drive there because the prospect of living in a dorm in the middle of nowhere is a no-go. Maybe I'm not their target demographic, but it makes no sense to me!

I think Davenport is trying to focus most of their attention on their online curriculum.

Archived