Davenport University

GRDadof3

Not that I agree with the move of the College, but isn't there already a bus shuttle out to Davenport like there is one for GVSU?

Yes, the RAPID added that service, but it runs between the downtown campus and the Caledonia campus. And I think Davenport pays for part of the service. It will be interesting to see if they keep it running once the downtown campus closes down.

Their newsletter says they have a "contract" with the RAPID, so I'd guess it's partially or fully funded by Davenport:

http://www.davenport.edu/Portals/0/DUmagaz...gWinter2006.pdf

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the 1960's as a precendence example seems like comparing apples and oranges. I think most would agree that almost every planning decision made during the 60's was a mistake, and now we are forced to deal with the ramifications of those mistakes at both ends of the spectrum, whether it be sprawl or the suburbanization of the city. The move of Calvin was a mistake...and Calvin (and the rest of the debris field on the Beltline) is certainly not part of the city in regards to walkability, connection, context, etc. Calvin is a commuter college, just like the GVSU Allendale campus and just like Davenport will become. All of these institutions have forced the excessive use of the automobile and reduced their ability to engage people without the car.

I don't think the Calvin move was a mistake. They really didn't have a choice. The college outgrew its Franklin location and the only option would have been to start tearing down homes nearby. That would have been costly and logistically complicated. They really had no choice but to find a much larger acreage. I disagree that Calvin is a commuter school. A vast majority of the Freshman and Sophomores live on campus, and I believe have to in most circumstances. Many upperclassmen live in the Calvin apartments or in complexes along Burton that are walking/biking distance away.

Yes, some very bad decisions were made in the 60s, but not everyone is terrible. Calvin's campus is pretty nice, especially with the nature preserve and its renovated buildings and the new Prince Conference center. Without the expansion to the current campus, Calvin would never be able to construct their new fieldhouse.

Dear Lettinga Campus Students:

We are excited to report that the Caledonia Township Planning Commission voted unanimously Monday evening to recommend our request for a special land use permit and approve the preliminary site plan to build the student center and field house at the Caledonia main campus.

The final big step in the approval process will be consideration of the Planning Commission

I don't think the Calvin move was a mistake. They really didn't have a choice. The college outgrew its Franklin location and the only option would have been to start tearing down homes nearby. That would have been costly and logistically complicated. They really had no choice but to find a much larger acreage. I disagree that Calvin is a commuter school. A vast majority of the Freshman and Sophomores live on campus, and I believe have to in most circumstances. Many upperclassmen live in the Calvin apartments or in complexes along Burton that are walking/biking distance away.

Yes, some very bad decisions were made in the 60s, but not everyone is terrible. Calvin's campus is pretty nice, especially with the nature preserve and its renovated buildings and the new Prince Conference center. Without the expansion to the current campus, Calvin would never be able to construct their new fieldhouse.

I think that's correct. Calvin is increasingly NOT a commuter school and at 4,000 plus students, it would never fit in the Franklin campus, especially given the amenities that college students now require (I'm not bitter, just jealous).

This may have been mentioned already, but do you think the Davenport move may have anything to do with GVSU putting it's much cheaper, and state of the art business school within walking distance of it's campus?

They do actually:

Men's Sports

Basketball

Cross Country

Golf

Hockey

Lacrosse

Track

Soccer

Women's Sports

Basketball

Cross Country

Golf

Lacrosse

Soccer

Track

Volleyball

Joe

A fieldhouse? They have no sports programs that I know of. This is like Kendal fielding sports teams. WHY.

• 4 weeks later...

So what should go here?

I was talking to my aunt the other day. She works at Warner Norcross & Judd and said that they're not the law frim moving into Fulton Place. Don't know why I posted that here but anyways....her friend works at Healthier Communities (part of Spectrum). She said that Spectrum bought (leased? whatever) the old Davenport site and will be moving the Healthier Communities over there. No clue what they're going to do with the soon-to-be-empty building.

• 3 months later...

Thanks. I've been reading for a while, but didn't feel the need to contribute to the conversations until I had something good to say :)

Any ideas as to who/what could possibly go there?

The obvious answer would be another school, but I'm skeptical the supposed offer was made by a school; it would take any institution a lengthly amount of time to submit an offer (with board approvals, etc), and to do it without solicitation? I have my doubts.

Any ideas as to who/what could possibly go there?

I thought that I read/heard somewhere (it might have even been here) that one option was going to be some version of a residential/assited living campus. It would be close to both St. Mary's and Spectrum's campuses. I haven't been on the Davenport site, but have driven by several times. They have many building that could be converted or used for residences? I cannot imagine that being in the Heritage Hill district that much if any buildings would be leveled. :dontknow:

And Welcome mmoe! :thumbsup:

I thought that I read/heard somewhere (it might have even been here) that one option was going to be some version of a residential/assited living campus. It would be close to both St. Mary's and Spectrum's campuses. I haven't been on the Davenport site, but have driven by several times. They have many building that could be converted or used for residences? I cannot imagine that being in the Heritage Hill district that much if any buildings would be leveled. :dontknow:

Davenport's DT campus has several buildings in different styles, historic status, sizes.

Some possible uses that come to mind:

--GRCC offices or special uses

--Medical center overflow from Michigan Street

--Housing for students, medical students, senior assisted

Surely there are more. It's a very good location for companies/users who don't need to be right DT.

This site as many attributes and some problems. First and foremost is the historic district in which it resides and the fact that at least three of the buildings have some historic significance and are in good condition. Even the newer late 50's early 60's buildings, while not all that palatible for me, offer some historic significance - especially as they relate to the development over time. I believe the building on the corner of Fulton and Prospect was built in 1961 and the other modern building may have been built in 1959 - although I am not as sure on that one.

I think that the site also has some grade to it that could prove problematic, especially as it relates to Fulton St.

There is an existing 200+ car parking ramp internal to this site.

It is not surprising that they already got responses as there as been a lot of people coming up with various development scenarios on this site, since at least last summer. Some of them are real ambitious and unique, but leveling a good portion of the existing buildings. While other scenarios have tried to preserve as much as possible as re-use.

I suspect it will fall somewhere in between.

I can pretty much guarantee that unless it is one of the houses smack in the middle of Davenport (attached to the 50's buildings), demolition will be nearly impossible. Heritage Hill carries a big stick when people try to rip stuff down within their boundaries.

Joe

Historic homes can be torn down if approved. I think it is clear that land would be best used by being totally demolished and used by GRCC. They have no others choices really as far as expanding downtown.

I heard something interesting that I would love to know more about. I was told that Davenport has to hold on to the old campus downtown because they have a large donor whose money gift is tied to the school keeping its "main campus" downtown.

If they relocate their "main campus" to Caledonia, then they will lose that endowment. So Davenport, while it is truly moving most of its resources out of the downtwon campus and to Caledonia and has plans to move all of it at some point, is having to walk a fine line to keep this endowment in tact by continuing to say that they will keep their downtown campus as the "main campus" even though it is obvious to even the casual observer that they are really relocating to Caledonia.

Seems a little odd to me. Anyone know more about this?

Archived