Davenport University

GRDadof3

Imagine what you could do with 7.5 acres once they do leave. That would be quite a large parcel to work with. we'll have to hope that if they do leave that something good goes in there.

Jason, the DT Davenport campus is not one big parcel, a la U-M Flint. It's a building here, two there, one across the street. Some are primo frontage on Fulton, and others are on side streets. Varying ages, sizes, features.

Photos coming, I'm sure.

ETA: here are a couple of mine. Um, not taken this week.

lettinga.jpg

d-port2.jpg

HTH

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine what you could do with 7.5 acres once they do leave. That would be quite a large parcel to work with. we'll have to hope that if they do leave that something good goes in there.

7.5 acres in a residential area might actually be very hard to fill. Even Rockford Construction, quoted in the article as showing some interest, said they don't have a tenant for it. It'd be great if Davenport can stay until a definitive buyer is found.

Jason, the DT Davenport campus is not one big parcel, a la U-M Flint. It's a building here, two there, one across the street. Some are primo frontage on Fulton, and others are on side streets.

Can you show us which ones they are?

I was under the impression all their buildings fronted Fulton St.

Can you show us which ones they are?

I was under the impression all their buildings fronted Fulton St.

Found a helpful website, grcity.us

41-14-30-253-010 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 459 FULTON ST E TR

41-14-30-253-010 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 460 FOUNTAIN ST NE PD

41-14-30-253-010 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 460 FOUNTAIN ST NE PD

41-14-30-253-019 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 475 FULTON ST E TR

41-14-30-253-024 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 461 FULTON ST E TR

41-14-30-253-034 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 435 FULTON ST E DC

41-14-30-253-034 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 415 FULTON ST E EQ

41-14-30-253-034 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 455 FULTON ST E NI

Found a helpful website, grcity.us

41-14-30-253-010 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 459 FULTON ST E TR

41-14-30-253-019 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 475 FULTON ST E TR

41-14-30-253-024 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 461 FULTON ST E TR

41-14-30-253-034 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 435 FULTON ST E DC

41-14-30-253-034 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 415 FULTON ST E EQ

41-14-30-253-034 TAX-INFO PARCEL-INFO DAVENPORT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS 455 FULTON ST E NI

Is that 6 parcels on Fountain that all share a mailing address or just 1 house at 460 Fountain?

Either way, thanks for that info... as usual I rely on maps.live.com for the Bird's Eye... best way to scope this stuff out.

Is that 6 parcels on Fountain that all share a mailing address or just 1 house at 460 Fountain?

Either way, thanks for that info... as usual I rely on maps.live.com for the Bird's Eye... best way to scope this stuff out.

It appears to be a land locked parcel with a building that's not entirely on the parcel. Not sure why 6 addresses the same.

• 1 month later...

Meijer donates wooded acrage to DU's south beltline campus.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind..._donate_16.html

... and it sounds like it may not stay wooded. That's a shame.

A little nature preserve/walking area would have been nice. It would be great if they tried to recreate what Calvin College has on the east side of the Beltline.

• 4 weeks later...

GRCC eyeing the Davenport downtown campus, potentially with stimulus money, according to the Press. I wonder what kinds of programs they are looking at adding?

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...college_15.html

I think GRCC could be looking at expanding it's existing Health Workforce training program, IIRC their program is also a hodgepodge of locations on campus as well, so having everything in one big area isn't a bad idea, and it allows them to expand into existing facilities when needed.

• 2 months later...

This is defineatly a good thing. A lot cheaper for GRCC than to try and find some land and than build new. I wonder how long it will be before Davenport regrets that they left downtown.

When did Calvin start regretting it? I would imagine in both cases the added space offset the reduced centrality of their location.

Given the size of the new building I saw last time I drove down M-6 (it was just a stick-frame, but it looked pretty large) I would say they have outgrown their old facility on the hill.

At any rate, I'm thrilled to see that there will be a tenant (a college even!) in that space on the hill.

• 7 months later...

Been keeping an eye on the gradual over-taking of the former DU campus buildings. Nowadays there are lots more people out walking on Fulton. The Rapid has a bus stop in the one circular drive, and it seems as though the streetlights have been brightened up.

Been keeping an eye on the gradual over-taking of the former DU campus buildings. Nowadays there are lots more people out walking on Fulton. The Rapid has a bus stop in the one circular drive, and it seems as though the streetlights have been brightened up.

It's actually not a bus-stop as in "public transit" but a dedicated shuttle from one GRCC campus to another. They contracted with the Rapid much like Davenport contracted a similar service to get students out to Caledonia.

Most of the classrooms aren't being used yet. Wait until they are... then that place will really be hopping.

It's actually not a bus-stop as in "public transit" but a dedicated shuttle from one GRCC campus to another. They contracted with the Rapid much like Davenport contracted a similar service to get students out to Caledonia.

Most of the classrooms aren't being used yet. Wait until they are... then that place will really be hopping.

I knew that, as it's the circular drive labeled NO STOPPING NO PARKING. (Or at least it was in the DU days.) So now there are GRCC hanging around outside, and walking to/from the stop.

Someone in their graphics department added some sense to the logo usage. I'll shoot a pic this week.

This is defineatly a good thing. A lot cheaper for GRCC than to try and find some land and than build new. I wonder how long it will be before Davenport regrets that they left downtown.

The old facility didn't meet their needs, but you can count on Davenport having a presence downtown in the future.

Possibly a MBA program?

The old facility didn't meet their needs, but you can count on Davenport having a presence downtown in the future.

Possibly a MBA program?

I recall their President saying that they'd keep a downtown presence way back last year when they announced their departure from the Fulton St. campus.

I should say, I think I recall that. A (very) brief search of mlive.com turned up nothing, however.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my alerts sent this ad.

http://www.higheredjobs.com/search/details.cfm?JobCode=175410453

Highlights:

... expanded emphasis on the development and alumni relations functions. Hence, the institution is seeking an experienced, entrepreneurial, and strategic development professional for the role of Executive Vice President for Advancement. The successful candidate will possess extensive development experience, strong technical skills, management expertise, strategy-building experience, and a desire to build a fundraising and alumni relations team. He/she will partner with an experienced and visionary president in the creation of a strategic plan and a deeper culture of philanthropy among all University constituencies; he/she will also be an articulate champion of accessible educational programs.

The main Davenport campus is located in Grand Rapids, a city that blends urban amenities (dining, arts, and historic district)
with access to lakeshore communities. Grand Rapids is a three hour drive to Chicago.

• 9 months later...

I recall their President saying that they'd keep a downtown presence way back last year when they announced their departure from the Fulton St. campus.

I should say, I think I recall that. A (very) brief search of mlive.com turned up nothing, however.

And they've decided to move some programs into the Custer building, 45 Ottawa Ave. NW.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/11/davenport_university_plans_to.html

Wonder if the recently bustling streets had any impact on this decision.

• 7 months later...

grcitydog wins the clairvoyance award!

ETA: City needs to add a ped xing to Fulton, either at Gay or Pleasant.

Archived