Favorite Spartanburg Neighborhoods

Spartan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Converse Heights is a great neighborhood. Shaded sidewalks, big front porches close to the street, an active neighborhood association, walking distance to downtown, and a jewel of little park smack dab in the middle of it.

Hampton Heights is much smaller but is beginning to establish it's own character. Another old mill village that I believe will be hot someday - Beaumont. Take a drive through there. Many of the homes are in great shape and the location is ideal.

I definately agree about converse heights. I really like that neighborhood. I also agree that hampton heights and beaumont both have a lot of potential. Another mill area that I think might one day turn into a nice neighborhood is the area around the glendale mill, i just wish the mill hadn't burned down. I heard some developers were talking about renovating that one like The Lofts in Greenville before it burned. I really wish someone would rebuild it copying the original one, with improvements, and make some nice apartments.

Anyway, my favorite neighborhoods are Four Mile Branch Rd. off of Country Club, I also like the area off of Woodburn Rd. in between the stop light at country club and the stop light at fernwood. Another road that has completely changed into something really nice in the past few years is Thomas Rd. off of country club rd. There used to be all of these trailers down there, but the developer has bought up a lot of the proplerty and now there's 5-6 really nice homes. It's funny because there are still a couple of trailers near the bottom of the street, but I have a feeling they'll be bought up too.

Converse Heights is a great neighborhood.  Shaded sidewalks, big front porches close to the street, an active neighborhood association, walking distance to downtown, and a jewel of little park smack dab in the middle of it. 

Hampton Heights is much smaller but is beginning to establish it's own character.  Another old mill village that I believe will be hot someday - Beaumont.  Take a drive through there.  Many of the homes are in great shape and the location is ideal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Beaumont area is where the Symposium Cafe was originally supposed to go.

I definately agree about converse heights.  I really like that neighborhood.  I also agree that hampton heights and beaumont both have a lot of potential.  Another mill area that I think might one day turn into a nice neighborhood is the area around the glendale mill, i just wish the mill hadn't burned down.  I heard some developers were talking about renovating that one like The Lofts in Greenville before it burned.  I really wish someone would rebuild it copying the original one, with improvements, and make some nice apartments.

The Glendale mill was to be redeveloped into some condominums. The towers are still there, and the last I heard it was still going to happen. I think that if they coudl do something with that site, the mill village could see a rebound (not that it is that bad off as it is).

Anyway, my favorite neighborhoods are Four Mile Branch Rd. off of Country Club, I also like the area off of Woodburn Rd. in between the stop light at country club and the stop light at fernwood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are referring to the Woodburn Rd area mansions.

I actually think Ben Avon has alot of potential to be something more. It is in an idea area. Quick access to local stores on S Pine and Cedar Springs, but also not too far from the Hillcrest area for other needs. It just lacks a snes of identity, other than those two churches.

Converse Heights seems to be the favorite :) I can't say that I disagree, becuase it is a great neightborhood.

I am anxious to see what Johsnon decides to put at the former Woodburn Club Apartments.

I really like what is going on in Hampton Heights. I only wish it was happening faster.

I think the area that could have the most potential for revival is the area near downtown between Daniel Morgan, N Pine, and St John and the Barnet Park. Renaissance Park area. This is practically downtown. I think that some dense developments could go on the busier roads, and the core area of houses could be brought back to life. Currently I see it as a black hole in an otherwise healthy area. It also extends to the south side of St John, but it is more sporratic there, and many houses have been converted to businesses. The most visible ones are on Dean St in each location, since it is a through road.

The area itself is ideal for walking to downtown. It has a park, churches nearby, and will have quick access to the new Arts/Cultural Center as well as whatever else is put at the renaissance park site. The only downside is Vic Bailey's auto stip on the end of Daniel Morgan Ave.

I said that I like that area of Woodburn Rd, but actually I just like all of Woodburn Rd. I especially like the wooded area between the stoplight at Fernwood and where Woodburn turns into Mills Ave.

I think that's a great idea about the area near Barnett Park and Renaissance Park and also about the Ben Avon area. I drove down some of those roads the other day.

I think the entire Duncan Park area could be vastly improved and made more attractive if the city of Spartanburg revitalized the park itself. The housing stock there is pretty solid and the overall area is quite attractive. I believe if the park was improved you would see more younger people and some gentrification of the older areas on the north side of the park.

Agree, the Duncan park area has great potential. I'm also noticing a lot of houses for sale on Dean street. The city has marked that area for redevelopment, but I haven't seen any plans. I believe that area along with the Renaissance park tract has awesome possibilities. I wish the arts people would go ahead and put up a sign showing the arts center design. I know the ground-breaking isn't till November, but it might generate interest.

I hope they don't tear down the Dean St houses. That would be a waste.

I do agree that Duncan Park could improve some. I've never thought of it as that bad though. In fact, it may be one of the better neighborhoods in Spartanburg. It has a wide variety of income levels, and house sizes, all within a relatively small area.

On a related note, I found out that they are going to restore the American Legion house near the stadium. It was recently added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Duncan Park could really be a great place to live...again it's not awful right now, but there are some pretty sketchy areas in it. But think about it, that is the oldest minor league baseball stadium in the nation and there is a really nice greenspace there right at the entrance. Unfortunately I recently read that the stadium is in the worst shape it has ever been in. I think it could be a really incredible area if a developer grabbed the opportunity and cleaned up the stadium along with new landscaping. The neighborhood is also very pedestrian friendly with trails and walking paths and I believe there are also tennis courts there. And so close to downtown. That area has A LOT of potential.

I keep hearing about people who want to rennovate the place, but it just never seems to happen. It should be on the Natinoal Register of Historic Places too, if it is not already. I think the problem is that the stadium is not very proffitable anymore, and there is no way it could be. Its too small for anything other than what it is used for now. You could expand it, but where would everyone park?

Duncan Park Stadium in Spartanburg is similar (albeit on a much smaller scale) to Tiger Stadium in Detroit (where I used to live). For years people in that city furiously debated whether to renovate "the corner of Michigan and Trumbull" or build a new stadium. Preservationists wanted to see one of the oldest big league stadiums in the country maintained for future generations. Baseball purists absolutely loved the place and hated to see it torn down or replaced. But others, myself included, saw a run down, obsolete, and neglected ballpark many years past it's prime. Parking was limited, amenities lacking, and the location was marginal at best.

I would love to see Duncan Park Stadium renovated. I know the city has looked at that from a cost / benefit perspective. However, the city cannot justify spending taxpayer monies on a ballpark with no professional team to occupy it.

That said, I would love to see the community band together and raise money to renovate the old ballpark. It sits in a lovely spot and would serve future generations well. The stadium has hosted many events and personalities over the years and it would be a shame if it were allowed to deteriorate further.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a renovated Duncan Park (and stadium) would help reinvigorate the neighborhood. I really fear that encroaching blight will deter a lot of otherwise decent families from staying in or moving into this area.

A postscript. Tiger Stadium is currently suffering the indignities of neglect. It is doubtful that the cash-strapped city of Detroit will want to maintain the place much longer. The old ballpark will slowly deteriorate until it will be unsafe to used as a public venue.

• 1 month later...

Archived